Ransack

2018 MLB Season

846 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kapler taking more heat. He positioned his RF really shallow most of the night. Rosario hit a deep fly to RF that turned into a two RBI triple. Mets won 4-2.

Philly fans are in Full-On Epic Meltdown Mode. It is not going to go well for him their first home game when they individually announce players & coaches.  We may hear the boos and profanity laced insults down here.

Edited by AEFalcon

Kapler's defensive positioning also cost the Phillies Tuesday:

The first mistake came during Tuesday’s game against the Mets, when Kapler aggressively shifted his infield to the right side with a man on first on lefty Jay Bruce at the plate. Bruce yanked the ball right into the shift, but it was fielded by shortstop J.P Crawford, who stepped in front of second baseman Cesar Hernandez to field the ball, leaving nobody to cover second and start a double a play. Third baseman Scott Kingery was no help, as he was planted near third to prevent Bruce from bunting for a hit. The Phillies went on to lose the game 2-0.

So in this last case, the positioning was right, but Hernandez failed to execute. Not saying Kaplar isn't struggling, but in that case the shift worked.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

So in this last case, the positioning was right, but Hernandez failed to execute. Not saying Kaplar isn't struggling, but in that case the shift worked.

I wonder how much they practice playing in the shift?  Not just the Phillies, or just this play, but all too often it seems players are unsure of their coverage & responsibilities while playing in the shift especially with runners on. Wonder if it is lack of practice or just natural instincts just take over? I imagine it is the latter. Either way they failed to get the lead runner.

Edited by AEFalcon

14 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kapler taking more heat. He positioned his RF really shallow most of the night. Rosario hit a deep fly to RF that turned into a two RBI triple. Mets won 4-2.

Yeah, I was watching the game when that happened. I thought John Kruk was going to have a heart attack.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'm still mad at the Braves defensive positioning early in the game yesterday against Taylor. Taylor hit was should have been a routine double play ball to 2nd but instead ended up a hit and the Nats ended up with runners at the corners and 1 out against Folty because of it.

The Nats home opener didn't go to plan. Losing 8-2 to the Mets in the 8th. Jay Bruce has a Grand Slam and Trea Turner was ejected for arguing balls and strikes.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm still mad at the Braves defensive positioning early in the game yesterday against Taylor. Taylor hit was should have been a routine double play ball to 2nd but instead ended up a hit and the Nats ended up with runners at the corners and 1 out against Folty because of it.

Hard to be mad about that. Taylor inside outed a ball that was on the inner portion of the plate and got it through. Hard to do against a guy that throws as hard as Folty but he did it. It happens.

3 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Hard to be mad about that. Taylor inside outed a ball that was on the inner portion of the plate and got it through. Hard to do against a guy that throws as hard as Folty but he did it. It happens.

That still doesn't explain the weird defensive setup. How in the world are you going to turn a double play with 3 guys on the left side of the infield? How is that going to work? Braves should have been playing for the double play. If they're in normal double play depth it's an easy routine double play to end the inning and Folty doesn't have to throw a bunch of extra pitches and probably gets to finish the 6th and we all don't have a near major heart attack because Brian Snitker decided to manage in 6th inning instead of just letting the players play. Yes, the Braves won, but things could have been so much easier. Yes, I'm still pissed about it. It's total ******** that should have never happened.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That still doesn't explain the weird defensive setup. How in the world are you going to turn a double play with 3 guys on the left side of the infield? How is that going to work? Braves should have been playing for the double play. If they're in normal double play depth it's an easy routine double play to end the inning and Folty doesn't have to throw a bunch of extra pitches and probably gets to finish the 6th and we all don't have a near major heart attack because Brian Snitker decided to manage in 6th inning instead of just letting the players play. Yes, the Braves won, but things could have been so much easier. Yes, I'm still pissed about it. It's total ******** that should have never happened.

Leave it to 567 to be that guy who would win the lottery and complain about how many times he played it.. :D

Falconsfan567 likes this

Kapler was booed at the home opener. More importantly it sounds like he's losing the team already. Jon Heyman said a Phillies player told him that "we need the manager to get out of our way".

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kapler was booed at the home opener. More importantly it sounds like he's losing the team already. Jon Heyman said a Phillies player told him that "we need the manager to get out of our way".

That's not surprising.  As a player you need to get into a routine and a rhythm and he keeps metalling.   Being that it is the beginning of the season, it can really mess with guys. 

How about the Buccos? Nice 6-1 start. Sure they haven't faced the toughest competition but you can only play who's on the schedule. They've impressed me with how well they've pitched. I knew they would score but the pitching a surprise.

A couple of reports out there that the pressure on Kapler is real. Jim Bowden went as far as saying if Kapler doesn't learn fast he won't last beyond the All Star break. Ken Rosenthal also reported it could be a 1 year deal with Kapler. Girardi is already emerging as a popular replacement.

Freeman has more walks, HR and almost as many RBI and runs scored as the entire Royals team. 

Ohtani has more HRs than the Marlins. 

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

So far, Harper is ahead of Griffey's pace. He could challenge Aaron. 

He's got to stay healthy. Griffey played so hard that the injuries caught up to him. Harper is the same way and has already had some injury issues to deal with because of it.