Ransack

2018 Braves Minor Leagues and Prospects Thread

492 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

I must be mixing Travis Demeritte up with someone else. Swear he has been a prospect for 12 yrs.

You must be because he's only been in the Braves system for 2 1/2 years. Was traded midseason of 2016 from the Rangers for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez.

I don't see how he can any longer be considered much of a prospect. He's spent the last 2 years at Mississippi and has combined to hit only .227/.311/.409 (.720) and just turned 24. IMO he belongs in the Braxton Davidson discussion of non prospects.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You must be because he's only been in the Braves system for 2 1/2 years. Was traded midseason of 2016 from the Rangers for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez.

I don't see how he can any longer be considered much of a prospect. He's spent the last 2 years at Mississippi and has combined to hit only .227/.311/.409 (.720) and just turned 24. IMO he belongs in the Braxton Davidson discussion of non prospects.

I know what it is now, he played for the Hickory Crawdads and I always catch a few games up here and that was way back as far as 2013 I think so now it makes sense that I remember his name.

ATLBrave and K26dp like this

Just now, Dawggone said:

I know what it is now, he played fornthe Hickory Crawdads and I always catch a few games up here and that was way back as far as 2013 I think so nownit makes sense that I remember his name.

Yeah, he played for them in 2014 and 2015.

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Considering he was a top 15 in our system when we acquired him and I have him outside the top 30 now, you can see that I mostly agree with you. The big difference between Demeritte and Davidson is Demeritte is much more versatile defensively... he's a plus defender at second, above average at third, and average in left field. Being a good fielder and having power could be enough for him to carve out a major league job. He has a lot of holes in his game, but I never count out good athletes, and he's a good athlete. 

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Considering he was a top 15 in our system when we acquired him and I have him outside the top 30 now, you can see that I mostly agree with you. The big difference between Demeritte and Davidson is Demeritte is much more versatile defensively... he's a plus defender at second, above average at third, and average in left field. Being a good fielder and having power could be enough for him to carve out a major league job. He has a lot of holes in his game, but I never count out good athletes, and he's a good athlete. 

I think it's pretty amazing how incredible the Braves have drafted the last 3 or 4 years!!

17 hours ago, Dawggone said:

I know what it is now, he played for the Hickory Crawdads and I always catch a few games up here and that was way back as far as 2013 I think so now it makes sense that I remember his name.

Used to live in Hickory! Great place to catch a game. 

26 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Sean Kazmar, Jr. has re-upped with Gwinnett for a 7th season, and all is right with the world.

LOL!! Dude has been around with Gwinnett forever!!

On 11/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, ATLBrave said:

Used to live in Hickory! Great place to catch a game. 

Yes sir! If you are ever back up in season give me a yell

ATLBrave likes this

Outfielder Connor Lien has re-upped with the Braves on a minor league deal. Lien hit .198/.289/.343 last season with Mississippi, but is a top 5 defensive outfielder in the system.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, K26dp said:

#40-31 are up.

40. Lucas Herbert, C
39. Derian Cruz, 2B
38. Jonathan Morales, C
37. Alan Rangel, RHP
36. Drew Lugbauer, C
35. Wes Parsons, RHP
34. Travis Demeritte, OF
33. Tucker Davidson, LHP
32. Jasseel De La Cruz, RHP
31. Victor Vodnik, RHP

And here's #30-21.

30. Trey Riley, RHP
29. Ray-Patrick Didder, SS
28. Riley Delgado, SS
27. Thomas Burrows, LHP
26. Corbin Clouse, LHP
25. Jefery Ramos, OF
24. Izzy Wilson, OF
23. A.J. Graffanino, SS
22. Ricardo Sanchez, LHP
21. Alex Jackson, C

On 11/17/2018 at 10:10 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Kendrys Morales all over again? :o

Nope he was just rounding the bag at second when he started limping. It got worse around third and he was hopping on one foot by the time he got to the plate. DOB says it looks like a sprain. It was weird.

The Braves made two minor league free agent signings.

OF Rafael Ortega is a well-traveled 27-year-old outfielder who bats lefty and played 41 games with the Marlins in 2018. 

OF Ryan LaMarre is a well-traveled 29-year-old outfielder who bats righty and played 76 games split between the White Sox and the Twins in 2018.

Both will likely get invitations to major league spring training, but these are obviously depth moves. With Michael Reed, Dustin Peterson, Preston Tucker, and likely Xavier Avery not coming back, Gwinnett has a need for outfielders.