Ransack

2018 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

741 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I'd be surprised if he proved capable of playing 3B. Then again Freeman was a beast at 3B last year. I think this is just Anthopoulos taking a no risk, high reward while doing a favor to a player who helped him achieve a lot in Toronto. Bautista just wants to play and was willing to take little money to do it.

Why is he not an option in the Outfield?

Also not understanding if he is even going to make it up with the big Club considering I thought they were very high on Camargo.

8 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Also not understanding if he is even going to make it up with the big Club considering I thought they were very high on Camargo.

Here's Bowman on the signing:

Malachore likes this

Just now, jidady said:

Here's Bowman on the signing:

Also can't he play first base? I know Freeman's there but you never know if he gets hurt. I just can't imagine them sitting Camargo down for Bautista

10 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The OF is overcrowded. We have Acuna, Tucker, Ender, Markakis, Bourjos and Adams plus Dustin Peterson is almost ready. Anthopoulos values defense and Bautista has no range left in the OF either. 

Malachore likes this

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Also can't he play first base? I know Freeman's there but you never know if he gets hurt. I just can't imagine them sitting Camargo down for Bautista

I presume we'll do the same thing we always did with Bobby and some with Fredi. If he shows his bat still works, we'll use him as a de facto regular by giving other players a day off. With two corner OFers and 1B and 3B as options, we can find a spot for him if his play warrants it.

At a minimum, he's a scary guy off the bench who might cause Gabe Kapler to overthink situations even more.

Malachore likes this

Just now, Unkn0wn said:

The OF is overcrowded. We have Acuna, Tucker, Ender, Markakis, Bourjos and Adams plus Dustin Peterson is almost ready. Anthopoulos values defense and Bautista has no range left in the OF either. 

I see what you're saying but I guess I only really see two of those guys as people capable of producing for us. Bautista is Better Off the Bench to me than Bourjos or Adams.

I haven't liked Nick since the day was signed.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He played 1B for 2 innings last year but before that he hasn't played there in 4 years. He's played 394 games at 3B in his MLB career.

Malachore likes this

Just now, jidady said:

At a minimum, he's a scary guy off the bench who might cause Gabe Kapler to overthink situations even more.

That's what I'm hoping for at the very least because I feel like we need a good bat Off the Bench in a major way.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

I see what you're saying but I guess I only really see two of those guys as people capable of producing for us. Bautista is Better Off the Bench to me than Bourjos or Adams.

Markakis has better numbers than Jose the last 3 years. Bautista hits more HRs but he's also hit .250, .234 and then .203 in 2017.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Difference is that Jose Bautista can't play OF defense anymore.

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Markakis has better numbers than Jose the last 3 years. Bautista hits more HRs but he's also hit .250, .234 and then .203 in 2017.

I'd rather see Bautista and the cleanup spot than Nick. He has absolutely no power anymore.

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Nick's oWAR is 4.2 over the last three years. Bautista's at 6.1, and that's with a -0.9 last season.  I quite like Markakis as a veteran presence and leader. As a player, he's given us a paltry 2 WAR over three seasons, though. His dWAR as a Brave is -2.2, so our front office isn't -that- worried about the corner OF spots.

Malachore likes this

46 minutes ago, Malachore said:

When can we assume that Bautista will be assigned to a team?

When he shows he can play a position and he has any kind of bat speed left. I'd say there's no time frame. He either shows it or he doesn't.

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 minutes ago, K26dp said:

When he shows he can play a position and he has any kind of bat speed left. I'd say there's no time frame. He either shows it or he doesn't.

Doesn't he have to play for a team in order for that to happen though? I'm assuming that's Gwinnett. 

Edited by Malachore

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Doesn't he have to play for a team in order for that to happen though? I'm assuming that's Gwinnett. 

Yes. He'll probably spend a week or two in extended spring training first.

I just had a thought, Brian McCann in a Braves uniform in 2019? Realistic if he wants to continue playing? I think so. Hard to imagine him getting much more than Flowers or Suzuki is making this year. Would be excellent mentor for Jackson.

18 hours ago, Malachore said:

Extended Spring Training is in Orlando. They basically just train and play simulated games.

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Extended Spring Training is in Orlando. They basically just train and play simulated games.

They play against other teams. It's basically just like the GCL, except the scores aren't kept.

28 minutes ago, K26dp said:

They play against other teams. It's basically just like the GCL, except the scores aren't kept.

And they can do special things like let a certain guy bat every inning if they want. It's one of the reasons players go down there for rehab assignments and such.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, Falconsfan567 said:

I just had a thought, Brian McCann in a Braves uniform in 2019? Realistic if he wants to continue playing? I think so. Hard to imagine him getting much more than Flowers or Suzuki is making this year. Would be excellent mentor for Jackson.

Sure, it's possible. They really like Flowers though, they may try to get him on a two-year deal.

McCann is good PR but I'm not sure he's better than Flowers at this point. Off to a great start though. I've really been surprised by Flowers, he's proven to be a great addition.

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

Sure, it's possible. They really like Flowers though, they may try to get him on a two-year deal.

Yeah. Makes sense.

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

McCann is good PR but I'm not sure he's better than Flowers at this point. Off to a great start though. I've really been surprised by Flowers, he's proven to be a great addition.

McCann would be a great PR move. He's probably not better than Flowers offensively, but I don't think you'll find a catcher in baseball better at handling a pitching staff than Brian McCann. And he's still a great pitch framer. Flowers is really good in those areas too which is why the Braves like him so much, but McCann is on another level. Always has been. The Astros, for as great a team that they have, I don't think they win the World Series without McCann's ability to guide their pitching staff.