Ransack

2018 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

741 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker said "Acuna will let us know when he's ready" so it sounds like as soon as his bat gets going he'll be here.

Seems like he let them know in spring training.

Bdawg58 likes this

24 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I don't understand. You told me I was wrong for being pissed that he was starting the season with the team. Now from this and some of your Twitter comments it seems like you're pissed that they didn't call him up once the 7th year of team control was secure? I don't understand why you would want him here right now when he has struggled out of the gate? It's not even the fact that he's not getting hits, but the strikeout numbers that concern me a bit.

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't understand. You told me I was wrong for being pissed that he was starting the season with the team. Now from this and some of your Twitter comments it seems like you're pissed that they didn't call him up once the 7th year of team control was secure? I don't understand why you would want him here right now when he has struggled out of the gate? It's not even the fact that he's not getting hits, but the strikeout numbers that concern me a bit.

1. I think it made sense to hold him back for the two weeks necessary to secure the 7th season.

2. Now that those two weeks have concluded, they should call him up. He won the spot in spring training, he was assigned to AAA for business reasons only, the Braves should call him up and play him now.

That's it.

Bdawg58 likes this

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

1. I think it made sense to hold him back for the two weeks necessary to secure the 7th season.

2. Now that those two weeks have concluded, they should call him up. He won the spot in spring training, he was assigned to AAA for business reasons only, the Braves should call him up and play him now.

That's it.

So his first 36 PA's at Gwinnett don't matter? You're willing to throw current production out the window? Look, I wanna see Acuna as much as anyone, you know that. But how would it be beneficial to call him up right now when he's struggling to make contact? I don't care that he only has 5 hits. That doesn't matter. It's the 12 strikeouts that raise my concern, especially when he had only 48 in over 200 PA at Gwinnett last year. What's wrong with letting him get going first?

25 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

So his first 36 PA's at Gwinnett don't matter? You're willing to throw current production out the window? Look, I wanna see Acuna as much as anyone, you know that. But how would it be beneficial to call him up right now when he's struggling to make contact? I don't care that he only has 5 hits. That doesn't matter. It's the 12 strikeouts that raise my concern, especially when he had only 48 in over 200 PA at Gwinnett last year. What's wrong with letting him get going first?

Because I don't believe in small sample sizes, hot hand theory, or that any current Braves outfielder is better at baseball than Ronald Acuna.

Also, it's clear he being pitched around at Gwinnett. 

19 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Because I don't believe in small sample sizes, hot hand theory, or that any current Braves outfielder is better at baseball than Ronald Acuna.

Also, it's clear he being pitched around at Gwinnett. 

If he's being pitched around then he should be walking.

Btw, you're smart enough to know that if the Braves called him up right now after his struggles after the comments they made in spring training that he'd have an MLBPA lawsuit to deal with. Nobody wants to deal with that.

Preston Tucker is hitting .136/.200/.273 his last 9 games.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If he's being pitched around then he should be walking.

Btw, you're smart enough to know that if the Braves called him up right now after his struggles after the comments they made in spring training that he'd have an MLBPA lawsuit to deal with. Nobody wants to deal with that.

Acuna currently has a 12% walk rate. That would put him 3rd among regulars on the Atlanta Braves.

I don't really give a flip about the Braves having to cover up for lying for why they sent him to AAA. The lawsuit doesn't have legs anyway because what they did was valid under the CBA.

Passprotection likes this

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

That's it.

I'm glad you said this because it seems like only certain people's opinions matter much around here. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the same way about this.

58 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm glad you said this because it seems like only certain people's opinions matter much around here. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the same way about this.

Everyone’s opinion matters around here, my friend.

Even that one guy who creates a new account each month.

Just pick the ones you like taking baseball with.

youngbloodz and Malachore like this

32 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Happy birthday @jidady.

The price just kept on dropping. I guess the price can't get much lower than a minor league contract at a position he hasn't played regularly in almost 10 years.  This will probably end as quickly as the Ryan Howard experiment did.

Edited by The Kingfish

27 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

The price just kept on dropping. I guess the price can't get much lower than a minor league contract at a position he hasn't played regularly in almost 10 years.  This will probably end as quickly as the Ryan Howard experiment did.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd be surprised if he proved capable of playing 3B. Then again Freeman was a beast at 3B last year. I think this is just Anthopoulos taking a no risk, high reward while doing a favor to a player who helped him achieve a lot in Toronto. Bautista just wants to play and was willing to take little money to do it.

CrimsonFalcon likes this

Bowman said they put an air cast on his leg and carted him away. He mentions every starter is getting an extra day of rest so they could just move everyone up a day. Wisler would be in line for the call up from AAA if they don't move anyone up.