Ransack

2018 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

741 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

How has jackson progressed? Last I heard he fixed his swing and was doing alright. Didn't think he was ready yet but will be interesting to see how he goes

You may be thinking of someone else in regards to fixing swing. Luke Jackson is a relief pitcher who pitched a little last year.

12 minutes ago, AEFalcon said:

You may be thinking of someone else in regards to fixing swing. Luke Jackson is a relief pitcher who pitched a little last year.

He's talking about Alex Jackson. However he is confusing Luke with Alex.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

He's talking about Alex Jackson. However he is confusing Luke with Alex.

My bad lol yeah was thinking about Alex.

1 hour ago, maorifalcon said:

My bad lol yeah was thinking about Alex.

The swing is fine. Defensively he's gone from being poor to adequate. He's actually gotten framing and game-calling pretty well, he struggles with his footwork, blocking, and mobility behind the plate. He has the physical tools to do those things, so there is hope.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Ransack said:

I meant more along the lines of a guy who was a late bloomer who becomes a fan favorite.

I already refer to him a Preston Mother F***in’ Tucker. 

3 hours ago, jidady said:

Savor this while you can, my friends. Atlanta currently leads the NL in run differential.

Actual wins and run differential are all well and good, but wake me up when we're making headway on that ESPN Power Ranking thing.

12 hours ago, K26dp said:

Actual wins and run differential are all well and good, but wake me up when we're making headway on that ESPN Power Ranking thing.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

K26dp likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I really like Mallex as a person. I hope he puts it together this year on a Tampa team with zero expectations.

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

I really like Mallex as a person. I hope he puts it together this year on a Tampa team with zero expectations.

Good year so far, .333/.419/.444

jidady likes this

Could The Braves Be A Fit For Bryce Harper?

By Mark Polishuk | April 7, 2018 at 3:02pm CDT

Bryce Harper’s free agent market receives an early preview by FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman, who lists the eight teams he feels have the best chance at signing the star outfielder when he hits the open market after the season.  The Nationals and other big-market usual suspects are cited, though the Braves are a new addition to the list of candidates, as both Sirius XM Radio’s Steve Phillips and an unnamed friend of Harper’s feel Atlanta is a logical possibility.  It should be noted that the Braves are only being named here as a “makes sense on paper” type of candidate, as it isn’t known whether Harper himself would consider the Braves, or if the club is actually preparing for a run at the outfielder.  Still, a case can be made — Atlanta is known to be preparing for the end of its rebuild, with a large array of young players that could position the team as a contender for years to come.  Signing Harper would certainly be about the biggest splash possible in announcing a return to contention, though it remains to be seen if the Braves would be open to spending the record-setting contract Harper will seek in free agency.

Slappywhite and youngbloodz like this

15 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mark Bowman says Soroka coming up in May is a real possibility. He says he'd be shocked if it doesn't happen by the middle of June.

I think he's on the Newcomb schedule. Early June, just enough to avoid Super-Two.

By the way, I wrote this about calling up Acuna.

Possibly bad news on Aaron Blair...

Braves righty Aaron Blair is dealing with a shoulder injury and is headed to see Dr. James Andrews for an evaluation on Monday, tweets David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. O’Brien’s colleague, Gabe Burns, had previously tweeted that Blair could miss “significant time” with the injury, though the specifics of the issue aren’t yet known. The 25-year-old Blair was viewed as a largely MLB-ready starter when the Braves picked him up from the D-backs alongside Ender Inciarte and Dansby Swanson in the Shelby Miller blockbuster, but he’s struggled to a 7.89 ERA in 73 big league innings thanks largely to shaky control and a susceptibility to home runs. Blair has a career 4.36 ERA with 7.6 K/9 against 3.9 BB/9, and while he may not have been viewed as an immediate piece of the rotation, a notable absence will thin out Atlanta’s rotation depth to an extent.

4 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Possibly bad news on Aaron Blair...

Braves righty Aaron Blair is dealing with a shoulder injury and is headed to see Dr. James Andrews for an evaluation on Monday, tweets David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. O’Brien’s colleague, Gabe Burns, had previously tweeted that Blair could miss “significant time” with the injury, though the specifics of the issue aren’t yet known. The 25-year-old Blair was viewed as a largely MLB-ready starter when the Braves picked him up from the D-backs alongside Ender Inciarte and Dansby Swanson in the Shelby Miller blockbuster, but he’s struggled to a 7.89 ERA in 73 big league innings thanks largely to shaky control and a susceptibility to home runs. Blair has a career 4.36 ERA with 7.6 K/9 against 3.9 BB/9, and while he may not have been viewed as an immediate piece of the rotation, a notable absence will thin out Atlanta’s rotation depth to an extent.

I ain't gonna cry. If I never have to see him in a Braves uniform ever again I'll be happy. Same with Matt Wisler.

What I remember most about Blair in that trade is that he checked all the boxes as a prospect. Scouts loved him AND he had terrific minor league stats. If this goes the way I think it goes, he's out this year and most of next, meaning he'll be 27 the next time he has a chance to figure things out. It's such a brutal sport for pitchers.