Three keys for the Philly match-up

1. Stop Zach Ertz - If anybody gives us trouble on the Eagles offense this Saturday, this will be the guy. This Eagles offense is a very different animal than the Rams were. We had to worry about Gurley last week with passes out of the backfield and we shut him down with Poole and Kneau. This week how well are they going to match up with Ertz? I think he can be rattled with a few big hits by these guys. The key to this matchup is going to be physicality and can we get home rushing 4.

2. Matt Bryant - Let's be honest, he could be in MVP consideration for the last two weeks. The weather in Philly could be rainy and it's going to be a tough, defensive football game. Bryant can give us a decisive edge in a game like this. We really need you for a few more games Matty Ice....let us send you off with a super bowl victory!

3. Involving Freeman/Coleman in the passing game - This game, much like last week, our interior OL could possibly get it handed to them. We MUST game plan around quick hitting routes and Free/Cole are a mismatch vs their LB corps. Their strength lies in their DL. Run the ball like we did in the 2nd half of the Rams game and get these guys involved in the passing game early and we're going to the NFCCG

16 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

3.  Involving Freeman/Coleman in the passing game - This game, much like last week, our interior OL could possibly get it handed to them. We MUST game plan around quick hitting routes and Free/Cole are a mismatch vs their LB corps. Their strength lies in their DL. Run the ball like we did in the 2nd half of the Rams game and get these guys involved in the passing game early and we're going to the NFCCG

Im having broncos/ falcons deja-vu with this one... 

https://youtu.be/yAfiQKNt4r4

Edited by BirdLegs
Video
1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Philly has a three headed Receiving group, Agholor is one of the best slot receivers in the league. He isn’t too far behind Ertz. Jeffery is a deep threat too. 

Not worried about deep threats with Foles throwing to them. Foles makes mistakes when pressured. Lots of them. If they want a chance at beating us they are going to Ertz. The outside WR's won't be a factor. Agholor could though. I honestly feel we should throw Alford on him and let Poole match up with Torrey Smith.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Not worried about deep threats with Foles throwing to them. Foles makes mistakes when pressured. Lots of them. If they want a chance at beating us they are going to Ertz. The outside WR's won't be a factor. Agholor could though. I honestly feel we should throw Alford on him and let Poole match up with Torrey Smith.

Jeffery is not just a deep threat, he is good possession receiver for them to move the chains. I think put Trufant on Agholor, Alford on Jeffery and Poole on Torrey Smith. Torrey Smith hasn’t done much compared to other three. 

17 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Jeffery is not just a deep threat, he is good possession receiver for them to move the chains. I think put Trufant on Agholor, Alford on Jeffery and Poole on Torrey Smith. Torrey Smith hasn’t done much compared to other three. 

Eeesh, Poole on Torrey doesn't sound like a good recipe for success. I love Poole but, Torrey's speed against Poole sounds like points for them.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

1. Stop Zach Ertz - If anybody gives us trouble on the Eagles offense this Saturday, this will be the guy. This Eagles offense is a very different animal than the Rams were. We had to worry about Gurley last week with passes out of the backfield and we shut him down with Poole and Kneau. This week how well are they going to match up with Ertz? I think he can be rattled with a few big hits by these guys. The key to this matchup is going to be physicality and can we get home rushing 4.

2. Matt Bryant - Let's be honest, he could be in MVP consideration for the last two weeks. The weather in Philly could be rainy and it's going to be a tough, defensive football game. Bryant can give us a decisive edge in a game like this. We really need you for a few more games Matty Ice....let us send you off with a super bowl victory!

3. Involving Freeman/Coleman in the passing game - This game, much like last week, our interior OL could possibly get it handed to them. We MUST game plan around quick hitting routes and Free/Cole are a mismatch vs their LB corps. Their strength lies in their DL. Run the ball like we did in the 2nd half of the Rams game and get these guys involved in the passing game early and we're going to the NFCCG

1 - Stop Ajai

2 - Stop Ajai

3 - Stop Ajai

4,5,6 - Block for Matt and the RBs

7,8,9 - Catch the d@mn ball

Ajai ran all over us in the Miami game. How could the 1st priority be anything else?

27 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

1 - Stop Ajai

2 - Stop Ajai

3 - Stop Ajai

4,5,6 - Block for Matt and the RBs

7,8,9 - Catch the d@mn ball

Ajai ran all over us in the Miami game. How could the 1st priority be anything else?

You do realize how long ago the Miami game was, right??

In the past 5 weeks we have played the Saints twice, the Panthers and the Rams. AKA Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara x 2, Mark Ingram x 2, Christan McCaffrey, Cam Newton.

Saints 1st game

Mark Ingram - 12 rushes for 45 yards. 4 catches for 43 yards. Zero TDs.

Panthers

Cam Newton - 11 rushes for 59 yards

Christian McCaffrey - 6 rushes for 14 yards

Saints 2nd game

Mark Ingram - 13 attempts for 44 yards 1 TD. 26 yards of his 44 came on a TD run to ice the game. He had 12 attempts for 18 yards deep into the 4th\

Alvin Kamara - 12 attempts for 32 yards, 7 catches for 59 yards.

It took the Saints 31 carries to amass 86 yards. We held them to 2.77 ypc

Rams

Todd Gurley - 14 attempts for 101 yards, 4 catches for 10 measley yards. 1/2 of the yardage total came on two runs. Bottled up the rest of the game.

In the past 5 weeks we've played multiple all pros and surrendered all of 1 rushing TD. ONE.

And you think this is the team that played that Miami game?

Rams game

Edited by FalconFanSince1969
2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Jeffery has to big of a size advantage on Alford for me to like that matchup. Tru on Alshon makes most sense with Alford on Agholor, but realistically we’ll play zone or Poole will take Agholor in the slot. 

41 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I’m not sure how to find this, but I wonder what the team record is when the opponent has at least 20 rushing attempts. 

Atlanta is 5-6 against teams rushing 20+ times... They started 1-4 in those games but finished 4-2 in the back end... That's improvement.

They're an amazing 5-0 when teams are forced to beat them in the air with less than 20 carries...great question.

32 minutes ago, BirdLegs said:

Atlanta is 5-6 against teams rushing 20+ times... They started 1-4 in those games but finished 4-2 in the back end... That's improvement.

They're an amazing 5-0 when teams are forced to beat them in the air with less than 20 carries...great question.

Really all this says to me is that we lose when playing from behind more often than not, and when we're winning the teams that are playing behind we shut down. We beat the teams who are forced to throw the ball the last half of the game because they are playing catch up and can't afford to run the clock with runs.

2 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

Really all this says to me is that we lose when playing from behind more often than not, and when we're winning the teams that are playing behind we shut down. We beat the teams who are forced to throw the ball the last half of the game because they are playing catch up and can't afford to run the clock with runs.

Not sure that's entirely true because all but 2 losses included lead changes and were so close that no one needed to abandon their strategy, just execute... I think the defense just played the run better as the season went on or tightened up in the red zone.

Edited by BirdLegs

Yes, their WR corp is very good, but the biggest concern for me is their DL. We have good DBs of our own who matchup well against their WRs, but OL is the one place where we don't have an answer.

Ben Garland has been atrocious and has been getting his lunch taken/eaten since he came in for Levitre, and Philly has arguably the best DL in the league. I thought Matt took a pretty good beating last week against the Rams. If we don't come with a good gameplan to get the ball out he could take another one this week. That part comes down to Sark, who worries me too.

I think we can stop their run game, and I do believe we can contain their passing game by putting pressure on Foles and stop with the stupid penalties. Defensively, 3rd and long will be our best friend. If we can keep Matt up-right, I like our chances because he can pick their secondary apart.

Everyone is (rightfully) talking about Jeffrey and Nelson, but their leading receiver is Ertz.  If we do what we have been doing for what seems like months now, stop the run, we can control this game.  If our run game is up to par like it has been recently and we can exploit their linebackers, this could turn out to be a big win for us.

8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

In the past 5 weeks we have played the Saints twice, the Panthers and the Rams. AKA Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara x 2, Mark Ingram x 2, Christan McCaffrey, Cam Newton.

Saints 1st game

Panthers

Saints 2nd game

Mark Ingram - 13 attempts for 44 yards 1 TD. 26 yards of his 44 came on a TD run to ice the game. He had 12 attempts for 18 yards deep into the 4th\

Rams

Todd Gurley - 14 attempts for 101 yards, 4 catches for 10 measley yards. 1/2 of the yardage total came on two runs. Bottled up the rest of the game.

In the past 5 weeks we've played multiple all pros and surrendered all of 1 rushing TD. ONE.

Rams game

Ajai is the exact type of shifty back that gives us trouble. Stop him first and make them one dimensional with a backup QB and we win.

8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Saints 1st game

Panthers

Saints 2nd game

Rams

Rams game

I would not sleep on Philly's run game.  They beat us last year during our Super Bowl season without Ajayi.  

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Did you completely ignore where we've shut down top notch running games already?? Jay Ajayi isn't a **** Mark Ingram, Alvin Kamara or Todd Gurley either.

But that's the point. We shut down the run against those guys because we INTENDED to. We focused on it. It's not automatic. You don't go into a game planning to stop the pass and just magically, automatically stop the run. Especially in the playoffs. And especially with a strong Philly OL, a shifty back like Ajayi, and a backup QB. We should approach Ajayi just like Kamara. Kamara is better, but they are similar.

We stop the run FIRST. We try to grab a lead. We spy Ajayi out of the backfield and make sure tackles like we did on Gurley. And we try to make their offense one dimensional and force a backup QB who is 2 for 87 on throws longer than 20 yards to beat us downfield. We've got a solid secondary. Ertz ain't gonna beat us. Jeffries ain't gonna beat us. Foles ain't gonna beat us. Ajayi absolutely could beat us, if he becomes a multi-dimensional threat in the run and pass, extending drives, and goes off for 150+ yards from scrimmage.

58 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

But that's the point. We shut down the run against those guys because we INTENDED to. We focused on it. It's not automatic. You don't go into a game planning to stop the pass and just magically, automatically stop the run. Especially in the playoffs. And especially with a strong Philly OL, a shifty back like Ajayi, and a backup QB. We should approach Ajayi just like Kamara. Kamara is better, but they are similar.

We stop the run FIRST. We try to grab a lead. We spy Ajayi out of the backfield and make sure tackles like we did on Gurley. And we try to make their offense one dimensional and force a backup QB who is 2 for 87 on throws longer than 20 yards to beat us downfield. We've got a solid secondary. Ertz ain't gonna beat us. Jeffries ain't gonna beat us. Foles ain't gonna beat us. Ajayi absolutely could beat us, if he becomes a multi-dimensional threat in the run and pass, extending drives, and goes off for 150+ yards from scrimmage.

You're talking Ajayi up like the 2nd coming of Walter Peyton. The guy has less than 400 yards receiving in 3 years..... Don't ever compare him to Kamara again... That's a **** insult.