blkbigdog35

Early look at 2018 Draft. Potential picks for our Hawks.

609 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Beef said:

I think they are doing the "mini-lottery" tomorrow, or maybe it's next Friday?

This one only determines the positions of the folks who are currently TIED.

Then on May 15th they do the big lottery to set the actual final draft positions.

It's tomorrow. We want to be between 1 and 6 and get number 18

25 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Nice to have an Alabama player as a potential lottery pick for once!!

Why not? Dude is legit. 

just have to say it.  I'm from Atlanta so I've had to deal with how our sports teams continually disappoint for 50 years. We invariably lose in such stupid and humiliating ways ... the recent super bowl will go down as the greatest choke in history (any high school coach would just run the game out and kick a field goal), Vick goes to the dogs (really, is there any more stupid way to lose $100,000,000?), our first super bowl and prostitution sting, winning only one world series with one of the best pitching staffs in history......

but how the hawks decided to win the last two games and make the first pick almost impossible, that's beyond me.  We're such losers we can't even lose when we need to!

Beef and Slappywhite like this

11 hours ago, Black Francis said:

Why not? Dude is legit. 

I'm gonna miss him, but he's going to be a stud in the pros. Would LOVE for the Hawks to land him.

As for Alabama, there is another consensus top 10 player who we have good odds of landing in 2019. Things are up for Alabama basketball

45 minutes ago, ket222 said:

just have to say it.  I'm from Atlanta so I've had to deal with how our sports teams continually disappoint for 50 years. We invariably lose in such stupid and humiliating ways ... the recent super bowl will go down as the greatest choke in history (any high school coach would just run the game out and kick a field goal), Vick goes to the dogs (really, is there any more stupid way to lose $100,000,000?), our first super bowl and prostitution sting, winning only one world series with one of the best pitching staffs in history......

but how the hawks decided to win the last two games and make the first pick almost impossible, that's beyond me.  We're such losers we can't even lose when we need to!

Few links for ya bud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft

Cleveland Cavs picked 1st in 2014. What was their record that year? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_/season/2014/group/league

33-49... 9th worst record in the league.

The odds aren't great in our favor, but to say it's impossible is a huge leap.

2013 the Cavs had the 3rd worst record in the league (similar to us) and picked first overall.
2012 the Hornets (now Pelicans) were tied for the third worst record in the league (same as us). Guess where they picked.

jayu70, JerseyNo12, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

23 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I'm gonna miss him, but he's going to be a stud in the pros. Would LOVE for the Hawks to land him.

As for Alabama, there is another consensus top 10 player who we have good odds of landing in 2019. Things are up for Alabama basketball

It’s Avery Johnson. 

tl;dr likes this

13 hours ago, tl;dr said:

It's tomorrow. We want to be between 1 and 6 and get number 18

What time is the coin flip? I havnt heard anything about it

I said almost impossible (did I hear 13% chance or was that earlier info?)  of course, I was basically saying 'why make it a lot less likely? what a stupid thing to do"  That was good info you provided that not all worst teams get the first pick, but I've seen a couple people use this as excusing the hawks from winning the last two games 'well, they probably wouldn't have gotten the first pick anyway!"  of course, had they lost the games they'd have a much better chance to have that pick... they'd also be more likely to get one of the first three picks which I've heard are really the elite players

I don't mean you personally as you're entirely entitled to your opinion   I'm more responding to a trend I've seen during all these Atlanta sports disasters of reflexively defending our team's bad choices

4 hours ago, ket222 said:

I said almost impossible (did I hear 13% chance or was that earlier info?)  of course, I was basically saying 'why make it a lot less likely? what a stupid thing to do"  That was good info you provided that not all worst teams get the first pick, but I've seen a couple people use this as excusing the hawks from winning the last two games 'well, they probably wouldn't have gotten the first pick anyway!"  of course, had they lost the games they'd have a much better chance to have that pick... they'd also be more likely to get one of the first three picks which I've heard are really the elite players

I don't mean you personally as you're entirely entitled to your opinion   I'm more responding to a trend I've seen during all these Atlanta sports disasters of reflexively defending our team's bad choices

I wanted them to lose too don't worry lol. Our odds are down, but it's still around a 14% chance to get number 1.

6 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

What time is the coin flip? I havnt heard anything about it

It was a little while ago and of course, we lost and will pick between 1 and 7 and at 19 and 34

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

It was a little while ago and of course, we lost and will pick between 1 and 7 and at 19 and 34

I think we pick at #33, since Dallas won the tiebreaker. Positions flip in 2nd round for tiebreakers.

Edited by jayu70

Posted (edited)

So we are 1-7 (with the 4th slot), 19, 30, and 33.

Oh well, I'll take it.  Hopefully we get lucky and get a top-3.

I think we'll be okay with any of Ayton, Bagley, or Jackson.

Edited by Beef

10 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Few links for ya bud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft

Cleveland Cavs picked 1st in 2014. What was their record that year? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_/season/2014/group/league

33-49... 9th worst record in the league.

The odds aren't great in our favor, but to say it's impossible is a huge leap.

2013 the Cavs had the 3rd worst record in the league (similar to us) and picked first overall.
2012 the Hornets (now Pelicans) were tied for the third worst record in the league (same as us). Guess where they picked.

The lottery was rigged for the cavs to get 1st picks in back to back.

8 hours ago, ket222 said:

The difference between the #3 and #4 slots is literally 1 ping pong ball.

There are 1,000 ping pong balls in this thing.  One for every tenth of a percent (0.10).

The 3rd slot (Dallas) has 138, the 4th slot (Hawks) has 137.

The 1st slot has 250, 2nd has 199.  14th has 5.

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, Beef said:

So we are 1-7 (with the 4th slot), 19, 30, and 33.

Oh well, I'll take it.  Hopefully we get lucky and get a top-3.

I think we'll be okay with any of Ayton, Bagley, or Jackson.

Michael Porter Jr. would still be on the board. If he never got injured he'd probably be the consensus #1 pick of the draft. That kid has KD/AD talent. It's rare you see 6'10" guys that move so fluidly, have ball handling skills, and can shoot. He's not even being talked about which would work out perfectly because he would drop right into the Hawks laps.

Edited by JerseyNo12

2 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Michael Porter Jr. would still be on the board. If he never got injured he'd probably be the consensus #1 pick of the draft. That kid has KD/AD talent. It's rare you see 6'10" guys that move so fluidly, have ball handling skills, and can shoot. He's not even being talked about which would work out perfectly because he would drop right into the Hawks laps.

Even if Porter Jr. Lands on our feet, Hawks will somehow **** it up and drafting somebody like Jackson Jr.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, Beef said:

It's complicated, but it's supposed to deter "tanking".  At least that's the concept.

Appreciate the breakdown. And, this isn't directed at you, but can't see that it's deterred tanking at all.

Looking forward to draft night, Hawks could get their superstar in the lottery and change the franchise.

Title-winning point guard tied to Atlanta Hawks in 2018 NBA Mock Draft

By Brad Rowland@BTRowland Apr 18, 2018, 11:00am EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

With Malcolm Delaney hitting free agency and Isaiah Taylor operating on a non-guaranteed contract, there is some uncertainty at the point guard position for the Atlanta Hawks as the summer approaches. Dennis Schroder occupies the starting spot (pending any trade noise) but, behind him, it would make logical sense for Travis Schlenk and company to evaluate potential options in the 2018 NBA Draft and a recent mock projects Atlanta to do just that.

Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated projects the Hawks to land Michigan State’s Jaren Jackson Jr. and high school guard Anfernee Simons earlier in the first round but, at No. 30 overall, he sees a fit with Villanova point guard Jalen Brunson.

Brunson’s otherworldly feel and well-rounded offensive skill set should help him stick around the NBA for a long time in some capacity. He’s not an elite athlete, but he’s going to make teammates better, pick the right spots to score and bring leadership. He may not be a plus guarding man-to-man, but understands the value of team defense and should be able to defend enough to make it all work. He’s worth a late first-round pick and could be a plug-and-play guy for the Hawks, who have three firsts.

Brunson isn’t a flashy prospect by any means and some believe he could slip to the second round as a result of a low ceiling. With that said, there is recent success in veteran, established college point guards establishing strong baselines at the NBA level (see Frank Mason in Sacramento, for example) and there is a school of thought that Atlanta, in the midst of a rebuild, could look to add a playable option in year one.

After a three-year stint at Villanova that included two national titles, Brunson will turn 22 in August and he isn’t a hyper-athlete. Still, the reigning Naismith and Wooden award winner converted 39.3 percent of his threes at the college level and Brunson’s passing and basketball IQ would be highly attractive in a backup role.

There are athletic questions but, at 6’3 and with advanced knowledge of positioning, Brunson should be able to hold up defensively and engineer quality offense on the other side of the floor. It is fair to explore the merits of a relatively low-upside player in the first round but, if the Hawks were to take a flier on a player like Simons (or someone in that vain) at No. 19, value in the form of safety could make sense.

Stay tuned.

28 minutes ago, BigGrip said:

Bamba or Jackson. It's time to have the "BIG" man as the lead.   :slick:

You cannot pick “the position” when you are drafting at #3 - you draft “the talent”.

Some of the worst decisions in NBA history were made when a team decided they just “gotta get a Big” and dismissed just taking BPA.

Take the best player - PERIOD.

jayu70, blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

53 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You cannot pick “the position” when you are drafting at #3 - you draft “the talent”.

Some of the worst decisions in NBA history were made when a team decided they just “gotta get a Big” and dismissed just taking BPA.

Take the best player - PERIOD.

I actually agree with you. Ayton will not be on the board at #3. So as I stated earlier, " Bamba or Jackson". Since the days of Mutombo, the Hawks have not had an opportunity to get this type of player. 

g-dawg likes this

45 minutes ago, BigGrip said:

I actually agree with you. Ayton will not be on the board at #3. So as I stated earlier, " Bamba or Jackson". Since the days of Mutombo, the Hawks have not had an opportunity to get this type of player. 

I don’t believe either of those are more talented than Bagley- especially Bamba.   I like Bamba, if we were picking #5, he probably would be my choice.

Really unfortunate the Hawks did not get at least to #2, as I think there is dropoff between Ayton/Doncic and Bagley - but to me Bags is clearly the #3 player in this draft- and while he may have some duplication of skill as John Collins - I believe he is better than JJJ.

If there was any way to get up to #1 or #2,  Hawks should explore it.   If Hawks had #2 pick, I bet we could have pulled off a trade with Suns for #1 if Suns preferred Doncic but wanted some Hawk assets- but at #3?  Doubt it.

Hawks really need a player like Ayton (or Doncic) - oh well.