Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

My Take On The Postseason

18 posts in this topic

Its absolutely refreshing to see some new blood in the NFL playoffs this year. Hopefully it makes for fun and interesting outcomes. Long time playoff droughts ended by some teams, which means that longtime playoff teams find themselves sitting at home this January.

• Bills - 1999
  • Rams - 2004
  • Jaguars - 2007
  • Titans - 2008

In the NFL in this day and age of parity, it's hard to pull off going so many years without making the playoffs, but these 4 teams certainly tried and succeeded. The Bills and Jaguars are playing each other which means that either Bills will get their first playoff win since 1995 or the Jaguars will get their first playoff win since 2007. The Jaguars are hosting their first playoff game since 1999. As a result the Jaguars have decided to take the tarps off the upper deck of the stadium, because they're expecting a sellout crowd.

The Jaguars and Bills, for all the years of not making the playoffs, actually have a bit of playoff history between them. On December 28, 1996 the Jaguars went into Buffalo and stole a 30-27 win over the Bills in the team's postseason debut. But they didn't stop there, the next week they went into Denver and knocked off the #1 seeded Broncos before falling to the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

The last time the Bills took the field in a postseason game, this happened:

It was a staggering loss for a Bills franchise that had seen an unforeseen resurgence behind undersized QB Doug Flutie and the number one ranked defense in the NFL. Flutie started the first 15 games of the season for the Bills that year before being rested in the regular season finale, which was started by backup QB Rob Johnson. Wade Phillips, pressured by owner Ralph Wilson, made one of the worst coaching decisions in NFL history, and started Rob Johnson in the Wild Card playoff game against the Titans. Johnson struggled mightily, the Bills scored just 16 points, and ultimately lost the game.

The last time the Jaguars took the field in a postseason game they were handed a 31-20 loss by the Patriots in Foxborough. The previous week the Jaguars pulled off a stunning 31-29 upset of the Steelers at Heinz Field. The Jaguars raced out to a decisive 28-10 fourth quarter lead before the Steelers, led by Ben Roethlisberger, reeled off 19 straight points to take a 29-28 lead. Jaguars kicker Josh Scobee kicked Jacksonville passed Pittsburgh with a 25-yard field goal with 37 seconds left in the game.

The last time the Rams took the field in a postseason game the Falcons curb stomped them 47-17. The Falcons led by their dynamite DVD backfield of Warrick Dunn, Michael Vick, and T.J. Duckett accounted for a staggering 327 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns. The Falcons held a 28-17 halftime lead and then outscored the Rams 19-0 in the second half to win handily at 47-17. Falcons energetic return man Allen Rossum chipped in with a 68-yard punt return TD and the defense racked up 4 sacks, 2 turnovers and a safety in the rout.

The last time the Titans took the field in a postseason game, their starting QB was Kerry Collins. Collins took over for Vince Young, who was hurt in the team's season opener, and led the Titans to a surprising 13-3 record and the number one seed in the AFC. The Divisional playoff game the Titans hosted rookie QB Joe Flacco and the Ravens. The Ravens defense forced the Titans into three turnovers and walked away with a 13-10 upset victory. Despite the loss, the Titans out gained the Ravens by an incredible margin of 180 yards of total offense, 391 to 211. But the three turnovers was ultimately their downfall. The Titans would slip back into mediocrity the following season, never to be heard from again until the 2016 season when they just barely missed the playoffs at 9-7, before ultimately making it this year, with the same 9-7 mark.

New teams in the playoffs means some previous postseason stalwarts are sitting at home in January. The 2017 postseason marks the first time since 1992 that there will be no Packers, Seahawks, Broncos, or Colts. As a fan it makes me incredibly happy to see new and fresh blood playing meaningful games in January, especially since my Atlanta Falcons, will also be playing meaningful football.

Karst41 and Drew4719 like this

I’m different than most people. If not atlanta I want the same team to win every year. I would hate for carolina, or the saints to win. 

I hate being on the list of teams that don’t have a super bowl ring. Every time a new team wins it makes us look worse for being on a shorter list. 

Godzilla1985 likes this

The Bills are favored to get beaten by the Jags, but the Jags haven't looked all that good the last couple weeks. Without a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers how does the league sell the NFC teams? 

13 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The Bills are favored to get beaten by the Jags, but the Jags haven't looked all that good the last couple weeks. Without a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers how does the league sell the NFC teams? 

CASE KEENUM BOBBLE HEADS!

Matty ICE likes this

28 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Rams = Jared Goff, number #1 pick, Los Angeles market.

Falcons. = Reigning MVP Matt Ryan. Reigning NFC Champs.

Saints = HOF QB Drew Brees. Potential OROTY Alvin Kamara

Panthers = Dynamic playmaker and former MVP Cam Newton

Vikings = Surprising team in the NFC with the Super Bowl being played in Minnesota. Can the Vikings become the first team to ever play the Super Bowl in their home stadium? Heck, can they become the first team to ever make it to the conference championship game?

Eagles = Eh, this one is hard now that potential MVP Carson Wentz is down and out.

Getting back to the Playoffs as the only NFC team to repeat is such a great feeling no matter how we got back.  We can match up with any of these teams in here and should we meet up in the Super Bowl I think that we will have enough momentum over the next month to take the title this year.  Matt Ryan has thrown 1111 yards and 9 touchdowns and no picks since his last INT, I see that streak continuing and the playoffs being where he is finally able to take over the game his way and dominate the way only we can.

I love the fact also that technically we eliiminated both the Seahawks and Falcons two years in a row! LOL

19 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah I was at that Rams game.  Brady Smith ended Bulger.  He never got that hit out of his head for the rest of his career.

I remember that too. Wasn't that a safety? That hit would likely be a flag today

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Rams = Jared Goff, number #1 pick, Los Angeles market.

Falcons. = Reigning MVP Matt Ryan. Reigning NFC Champs.

Saints = HOF QB Drew Brees. Potential OROTY Alvin Kamara

Panthers = Dynamic playmaker and former MVP Cam Newton

Vikings = Surprising team in the NFC with the Super Bowl being played in Minnesota. Can the Vikings become the first team to ever play the Super Bowl in their home stadium? Heck, can they become the first team to ever make it to the conference championship game?

Eagles = Eh, this one is hard now that potential MVP Carson Wentz is down and out.

Sorry I read this and wasn't really sure what you meant by this? Can they be the first team in this playoffs to get to the NFCC? 

3 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Sorry I read this and wasn't really sure what you meant by this? Can they be the first team in this playoffs to get to the NFCC? 

No team that has ever hosted the Super Bowl has ever made it to the conference championship game the same year. The Vikings are 1 of just a handful of teams to even make the playoffs that same year and of the ones that did they all lost in the division round.

3 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

He means the Super Bowl host team.

I'm sure the NFL wishes the Cowboys or Packers were in the playoffs. Ratings will likely take a hit from those two teams missing out. 

But otherwise, I think having fresh teams in the postseason will spark interest from people who are tired of the status quo.

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

I’m different than most people. If not atlanta I want the same team to win every year. I would hate for carolina, or the saints to win. 

I hate being on the list of teams that don’t have a super bowl ring. Every time a new team wins it makes us look worse for being on a shorter list. 

That's exactly how I feel. The 0-16 Browns are the laughing stock now. 

Remember last year?

The Falcons had the 8th best offense of all time, yet there was no way they could beat Russell Wilson and that defense! Then it is impossible to stop Aaron Rodgers in the NFCCG!

I think it's gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out. Anyone can win the NFC. I just hope its one particular team.