Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lowndesfalc

Tweet on Falcons defense

38 posts in this topic

Falcons' defense 2017: Yards per game (9th), rushing ypg. (9th), passing ypg. (12th), red zone (5th), points (8th). 2016: Ypg. (25th), Rypg. (17th), Pypg (28th), red zone (32nd), points (27th).
 espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

So stoked about what this defense can be. 

It feels strange to see the pendelum swing from being better on offense to being better on defense. The improvements this D has shown this yr over last are amazing. That D is the only reason, when u look at all the close games we won, we made it to the playoffs imo 

Halcon-1, Penumbra and mtldirtybird like this

I've said it all year long. Some may agree with me. Some may disagree. Whether we make it back to the Super Bowl this year or not. Our defense is ONE year away from Dan Quinn having it 2013 Seattle like or even 1985 Bears like. We just need to improve on turnover margin on a consistent basis and stopping the run on a consistent basis. I'm glad our defense has improved on not allowing big plays through the air like they did last year. The 2018 Falcons are set up to be the opposite of the 2016 Falcons where we could have a historical defense that leads us to a championship this time, and maybe a trip to the Super Bowl in our hometown! 

poutlipper and kmbutts like this

Just now, The Vent King said:

It feels strange to see the pendelum swing from being better on offense to being better on defense. The improvements this D has shown this yr over last are amazing. That D is the only reason, when u look at all the close games we won, we made it to the playoffs imo 

That is a FACT, coming into this season no one would have thought our offense would have fallen this hard with Sarkisian. I understand our O-line isn't the same as last year and we have a different fullback, but man our play calling and execution got worse. Our running backs are still averaging near the same carries as last season and Julio Jones is still a top receiver in the league. It's just that Matt Ryan fell off a little and our O-line hasn't pass protected as well either.

Our defense saved us against the Bears, Lions, Saints (in Atlanta), Seahawks, and Buccaneers. Our defense had 2 takeaways against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in week 2 (one of those was for a TD) and we hung on by 11 points. Against the Panthers yesterday our defense grinded the Panther's offense and gave our offense so many chances to wear down the Panthers defense. 

Halcon-1 and The Vent King like this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

Falcons' defense 2017: Yards per game (9th), rushing ypg. (9th), passing ypg. (12th), red zone (5th), points (8th). 2016: Ypg. (25th), Rypg. (17th), Pypg (28th), red zone (32nd), points (27th).
 espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

So stoked about what this defense can be. 

I was looking at that last night..I believe we are a DT LB and CB away from seeing their true potential

Edited by RING OF HONOR
PokerSteve, Halcon-1 and red falcon like this

30 minutes ago, FulC0 said:

Yet, I still don't feel comfortable when the opponent is facing a 3rd and 21

That play against Carolina was simply blown coverage by Poole. We actually have been pretty **** good when we get teams into 3rd and a mile.

Francis York Morgan likes this

56 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I was looking at that last night..I believe we are a DT LB and CB away from seeing their true potential

Agree. Will be fun to see who the FO comes up with in the draft and Free Agency to get those last three pieces in place.

Most of us predicted a step forward for this unit. Unfortunately, most of us also assumed the offense would stay close to the same.

2 hours ago, FulC0 said:

Yet, I still don't feel comfortable when the opponent is facing a 3rd and 21

Isn't that the first time something like that has happened all year? Or am I crazy

2 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I think a DT DE moreso than anything. Let's give Duke time.

6 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Isn't that the first time something like that has happened all year? Or am I crazy

It is. 

25 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I think a DT DE moreso than anything. Let's give Duke time.

Any particular order is fine...But we still need another lb...Duke might pan out...but its nothing wrong with depth

They have really turned it up since the Minnesota game. We are genuinely an excellent defense right now, especially in coverage. We could be getting a little bit more pressure IMO, and our LBs are excellent but also a little on the small side, but overall this is the best Falcon's defense since 1998, no doubt about it. 

ChickenBiscuit likes this

If going into the season you knew the Falcons would give up these points in games 1-16, what would you have predicted our record to be:

17, 23, 26, 23, 20, 23, 20, 20, 7, 31, 20, 14, 17, 21, 23 & 10

14-2 would have been my guess.  Defense has played very well IMO

12 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Any particular order is fine...But we still need another lb...Duke might pan out...but its nothing wrong with depth

That's true brother. So true. 

3 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I've said it all year long. Some may agree with me. Some may disagree. Whether we make it back to the Super Bowl this year or not. Our defense is ONE year away from Dan Quinn having it 2013 Seattle like or even 1985 Bears like. We just need to improve on turnover margin on a consistent basis and stopping the run on a consistent basis. I'm glad our defense has improved on not allowing big plays through the air like they did last year. The 2018 Falcons are set up to be the opposite of the 2016 Falcons where we could have a historical defense that leads us to a championship this time, and maybe a trip to the Super Bowl in our hometown! 

Been saying this since like week 7. That's why I'm not tripping on this season. I haven't seen a defense this good in my span as a Falcons fan and it's still not even where it's gonna be in a year.

mqg96 likes this

Just remember other posters saying we were a year early last year, maybe they were right. I think we score 21 we can win any gm