Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

What’s your play of the year?

25 posts in this topic

Aw man, you took mine. Was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title. Nothing sweeter than a victory against the Saints, and that play sent me into insane celebration.

But if I have to choose another, honestly one of my very favorites was all the way back in Game 1.

The game-ending 4th down sack by Reed.

It was a long, long, LONG painful offseason. It felt so d*mn good to simply celebrate a Falcons win again.

I think the team desperately needed that win to start the year, coming off the 28-3 debacle.

And who knows? Maybe that was the first win in our Super Bowl winning season. Maybe.

1 hour ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Obviously the season isn’t over, but what is your regular season play of the year? To me it has to be the Deion Jones interception week 14 against the Saints. The play that essentially kept the playoff hopes alive and sealed that win for us.

That one. That was a straight up Tommy Nobis type a get er done play. Rest easy my brother.

Deion Jones interception to seal that must win victory against the Saints, which gave us our longest winning streak vs the Saints since 1999 (3 straight), and gave us victories over the Saints in back to back years for the first time since 2004-05. First time ever we've done all of that with Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

I would also include Matt Ryan's 2 HUGE 3rd down conversions to Austin Hooper in Chicago, which gave us a TD and 3 points and saved our season as well. First win in Chicago (Soldier Field) since 1983. That place was worse than Philly for us historically. 

Another vote for Debo's interception. He really is special. I haven't been this excited about a player on our roster since we started seeing what we had with Matt and Julio. 

Honorable mentions go to Sanu/Julio, Julio's dive and one of Ryan's passes to Sanu in the back of the endzone -- I forget the game, but Ryan fired a "laser" from the 10 yard line or so for 6. 

If I were unbiased, I would probably pick Julio's drop at the end of the first Carolina game as it summarizes the number of drops we have had this year and how they have hurt us.

If I were totally focused on the NFL's poor officiating, I would have plenty of options but would probably pick the stupid 10-yard forwardly fumble that Ryan did not throw against the Bills.

If I were completely positive about this year, the Jones pick is great but would be acknowledging that the Falcons were about to lose that game, so I would instead select Hooper's wide open catch against Chicago to start the year.

If I were completely negative about this year, I would probably pick the butt interception by the Saints a couple of weeks ago in the game that sealed the division for them and had us nail-biting last week.