Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Dan Quinn Challenges

37 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s not about percentage of challenges won, it’s timing of those challenges. There are few times Falcons ended up with no challenge or a time out.

That’s fine. But that’s true for every team and every coach. Quinn wins more than he loses but that doesn’t fit the perception. He made the right call challenging the Julio play last week and lost. 

The challenge yesterday (which I’m guessing is the motivation behind this thread) is as much a result of the confusion over what is and isn’t a catch in the NFL now. We’ve heard over and over that the ball must be controlled throughout the process of a player is going to the ground. When the ball popped out, it is logical to question whether or not it was a catch by rule. I didn’t like the challenge, but I understand the thought behind it. 

36 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

That’s fine. But that’s true for every team and every coach. Quinn wins more than he loses but that doesn’t fit the perception. He made the right call challenging the Julio play last week and lost. 

The challenge yesterday (which I’m guessing is the motivation behind this thread) is as much a result of the confusion over what is and isn’t a catch in the NFL now. We’ve heard over and over that the ball must be controlled throughout the process of a player is going to the ground. When the ball popped out, it is logical to question whether or not it was a catch by rule. I didn’t like the challenge, but I understand the thought behind it. 

I don't think he did make the right decision on the challenge on the Julio TD. It was clear that the Falcons weren't getting any calls in that game so what made him or anyone else think they were going to change that call and give the Falcons the TD?

What was the point with the challenge yesterday? Olsen clearly was on the ground with the ball before it popped out. That was clear on the replay. But Quinn threw the challenge flag before they even showed a replay on TV. So he didn't even give his guys in the booth a chance to look at it. That's my issue with some of his challenges. He gets caught up in the emotion of listening to his players instead of his coaches in the booth.

Also, I did eventually look at the numbers today and it surprising that he has done so well for his career. It's not always about the decisions to challenge. It's the times that he doesn't challenge something that looks absolutely clear cut. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to his challenges. They seem pretty spur of the moment. Falcons sure could have used that TO yesterday prior to the half. Cost them a shot at 3 points. Those are things that you just can't afford to happen, especially when things like that are magnified in the playoffs.

Flying Falcon likes this

12 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't think he did make the right decision on the challenge on the Julio TD. It was clear that the Falcons weren't getting any calls in that game so what made him or anyone else think they were going to change that call and give the Falcons the TD?

What was the point with the challenge yesterday? Olsen clearly was on the ground with the ball before it popped out. That was clear on the replay. But Quinn threw the challenge flag before they even showed a replay on TV. So he didn't even give his guys in the booth a chance to look at it. That's my issue with some of his challenges. He gets caught up in the emotion of listening to his players instead of his coaches in the booth.

Also, I did eventually look at the numbers today and it surprising that he has done so well for his career. It's not always about the decisions to challenge. It's the times that he doesn't challenge something that looks absolutely clear cut. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to his challenges. They seem pretty spur of the moment. Falcons sure could have used that TO yesterday prior to the half. Cost them a shot at 3 points. Those are things that you just can't afford to happen, especially when things like that are magnified in the playoffs.

There’s no rhyme or reason to this post. You complain because he threw the flag on something that was questionable in the Olsen catch but you also disagree with his challenge of the Julio play. You then go on to say he should challenge things that are obvious, ie julio play. Which is it? Should he consult the board and take a poll on when to challenge every time? 

Lastly the timeout at the end of the half should have been irrelevant because they stopped the clock before time ran out but it didn’t matter because of a hokey rule about how there can only be an official review if there’s 2 seconds left and not 1. 

Quinn should not challenge any calls. Give that responsibility to Manuel or someone else.  He sucks mule's ballz when it comes to challenges. He should check with Manuel or someone on the field before throwing away our challenges and timeouts like they don't matter. And then he does that at meaningless times in the game. Azz wipe.

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

There’s no rhyme or reason to this post. You complain because he threw the flag on something that was questionable in the Olsen catch but you also disagree with his challenge of the Julio play. You then go on to say he should challenge things that are obvious, ie julio play. Which is it? Should he consult the board and take a poll on when to challenge every time? 

Lastly the timeout at the end of the half should have been irrelevant because they stopped the clock before time ran out but it didn’t matter because of a hokey rule about how there can only be an official review if there’s 2 seconds left and not 1. 

The Olsen catch wasn't questionable. It was clear as day that Olsen was laying on the ground with the ball before it popped out. The Julio play may have been obvious but the Falcons weren't going to get that call. The refs had proven numerous times up until that point in the game that none of the close calls were going the Falcons way. There was no way in a million years they were going to overturn that call. Not based on the way the game was officiated. There's a difference between watching the game and observing the game.

23 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I love how you’re the rational one that calls out the stupidity during games. And aren’t you like 21 or something? We need to grab a beer the next time I’m in ATL 

Yeah he is anomaly among his generation. More brains and football knowledge than most older fans. Trust me.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Olsen catch wasn't questionable. It was clear as day that Olsen was laying on the ground with the ball before it popped out. The Julio play may have been obvious but the Falcons weren't going to get that call. The refs had proven numerous times up until that point in the game that none of the close calls were going the Falcons way. There was no way in a million years they were going to overturn that call. Not based on the way the game was officiated. There's a difference between watching the game and observing the game.

So...only call a challenge in games where you think the refs are rooting for you? No wonder this challenge-calling thing is so hard!

Butudontseeme™ likes this

6 minutes ago, esmithidoc said:

So...only call a challenge in games where you think the refs are rooting for you? No wonder this challenge-calling thing is so hard!

Not every game is like the Saints game. Not by a long shot.

7 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Probably ought to research this a little bit better man. 

DQ is one of only a handful of active coaches who have had successful challenges more than 50% of the time. He’s good for 55% over his 3 years as a head coach. All while the mighty Bill Belichick is at 40% over his career on challenge success. 

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/which-nfl-head-coaches-best-worst-challengers.html

all that while getting screwed out of the challenge last week on Julio’s TD. 

I was coming here to say this as well. 

Quinn is an azz wipe and will be one until he learns how to manage time outs, challenges, and the clock. Or until he wins a SB. Whichever one comes first.

Dilly Dilly