Who Dat Embarrassment Should Set Falcons Ablaze

usa_today_10497997.0.jpgDerick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

Yes, that went as poorly as you thought.

The Atlanta Falcons dropped a big ole Christmas turd in New Orleans against the dastardly Saints – in a game that, by some cruel stroke of unluckiness, came down once again to mishaps, penalties, offensive execution, and yes, the refs. It was that scene from The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob repeatedly stepped on the rakes to unceremonious comedic effect.

This was a day when the Falcons looked like an elephant walking across a skating rink while their arch-nemesis made 28-3 and fake crowd noise jokes throughout. It was a day when the literal thing that used to hold Atlanta back, its defense, came through in a major way, but the offense reverted to a worse version of what they fielded in the second half of 2013. It was a day when, yes, the officiating was worse than the fifth Die Hard movie and more biased than a Taylor Swift fan reviewing a Katy Perry album.

All in all, it was of course bad. The Falcons finally let their dangerous living catch up to them, and it couldn’t have come at a better time.

“Wait, what did he just write? Is Cory ok?”

The Falcons needed to lose, and lose badly, if they were to have any shot at making a run in the playoffs.

This team needed to feel the heat. They needed to get slapped around a little bit. They needed to feel the urgency of their redemption tour careening into a lake.

They needed to lose to the Saints, just like this, to alert this entire team to how they are underperforming.

They needed to be embarrassed. It was time for Little Jimmy Who Dat to poke this sleeping bear with a stick. Time to wake up, and get angry.

If Devonta Freeman doesn’t fumble on the one-yard line, and Julio Jones’ obvious touchdown is called a touchdown, the Falcons likely walk out of New Orleans with the win. But, does this team need to win right now?

Oh, well, yes, they need to win the rest of the way out unless they want to start playing the scenario game to get a playoff spot. They need to win to install a bit of confidence that they can beat a good team at full strength. They need to win because, quite frankly, if you can’t beat the Panthers at their best while you’re at your best, you can’t win a playoff game, whether it’s the Saints or Rams staring you down on that first weekend in January.

No one has any idea what happens once January gets into swing. It’s a fresh slate, and that ole bugaboo called “playoff experience” begins to settle in – the morose maven that sinks untested quarterbacks every step of the way. Hey, would you look at that, the Falcons have playoff experience! How cool! That could help!

But, it’s high time they start playing up to what they’re capable of. Like, seriously, it’s like now. If they can’t, then they didn’t, and that’s a painful conversation we’ll carry with us all through the offseason. The stomach aches are already beginning to settle in.

Going to the playoffs and losing the year after you lose the Super Bowl is nothing to be ashamed of, but one can’t help but get a little eager to go ahead and rectify that atrocious February thing now, particularly when so many giants fell asleep in 2017. New ones rose in their place, but the Falcons are a play away here and there from being that kind of team, particularly with the improvements on defense.

The offense is what it is – you just never know which version of it will show up. The defense is so improved, but can still be scored on. This team is a gigantic enigma, and one that can still win this year’s Super Bowl or watch the Wild Card round from the couch in equal measure. It just depends which version shows up, and if that version can match with what’s going on with the other side of the ball.

It’s a frustrating cataclysm, but after Sunday’s loss, this team should be darn embarrassed. Don’t blame the refs, don’t blame the crowd – blame yourselves for relinquishing so many opportunities to win the division, to close out games this season, for falling off so sharply after that miraculous 2016 offensive season, Kyle Shanahan departure or not. Take this embarrassment, and use it. Fix the problems, try to make a run, and please for the love of all things good in this world, don’t somehow lose to the Saints in the playoffs.

Right now, this team doesn’t look like a Super Bowl contender. It looks like a disoriented juggernaut who can’t seem to put it all together when it’s all sitting right there for the taking. But, things can change. They don’t need to be the 2016 Falcons to win in these playoffs; they just need to be a better version of what they are now.

Get angry, have a good week of practice, and go hammer down the Panthers. Because, if the Falcons maintain status quo, 28-3 will not only lose the Falcons a Super Bowl – it will lose them a season, too.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/12/25/16816842/who-dat-embarrassment-should-set-falcons-ablaze

Edited by lostnmexico

Thanks for the post!

4 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

This was a day when the Falcons looked like an elephant walking across a skating rink

Most bestest description I've heard.  That I why I really never gave the officiating much thought. While the officials were annoying, our offense was so inept that they were also irrelevant. 

I agree 100%.  Everything is there for the taking and we are just mired in our own brand of misery it seems.  I love my team but they are like prettiest girl in school with a self destructive attiude.  Spend all your time wanting to go out with her only to realize she is a hollow shell of what you expected her to be.

Edited by lostnmexico
21 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Thanks for the post!

Most bestest description I've heard.  That I why I really never gave the officiating much thought. While the officials were annoying, our offense was so inept that they were also irrelevant. 

But the officating is part of the ineptness.

I mean we had 2 or 3 first downs called back on boarder line at best penalties.

Not to mention another 2 that should have been called first downs due ot obvious pass interference/illegal contact calls

NOT TO MENTION the obvious Julio touch down that was not called a TD.

Throw in the the fact that Shelby was held while brees was in the endzone....which should have been  a safety.

So the refs gifted the saints atleast 4  to 6 first down and gifted the saints 8 to 9 points.

Despite what the sewer rat fans and players think...it is not like they lined up and just beat the falcons.

While I agree 100% with this I just have to wonder if the refs had just been fair what would have been the outcome?  Getting screwed over by the refs so badly had to have made an impact on the way the O played.  Julio was raped over and over yesterday and no flags, the BS call on Free in the 1st half was BS and Julio's TD OMG just don't even get me started!!!  I know some will say that a good team overcomes adversity and this is true but this was adversity like I've never seen.  I've wondered if the refs in NY couldn't have called down to the swamp and tell those pathetic excuses for refs to get it together.  It's making an already troubled NFL even worse!

6 minutes ago, HighFlyingFalcon said:

While I agree 100% with this I just have to wonder if the refs had just been fair what would have been the outcome?  Getting screwed over by the refs so badly had to have made an impact on the way the O played.  Julio was raped over and over yesterday and no flags, the BS call on Free in the 1st half was BS and Julio's TD OMG just don't even get me started!!!  I know some will say that a good team overcomes adversity and this is true but this was adversity like I've never seen.  I've wondered if the refs in NY couldn't have called down to the swamp and tell those pathetic excuses for refs to get it together.  It's making an already troubled NFL even worse!

Yea, it’s tough to swallow because the officiating went so left.  Even with our mistakes if those BS personal fouls on Free, the no calls on Julio, and the TD they didn't give us were all huge.

30 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I mean we had 2 or 3 first downs called back on boarder line at best penalties.

Not to mention another 2 that should have been called first downs due ot obvious pass interference/illegal contact calls

NOT TO MENTION the obvious Julio touch down that was not called a TD.

Throw in the the fact that Shelby was held while brees was in the endzone....which should have been  a safety.

So the refs gifted the saints atleast 4  to 6 first down and gifted the saints 8 to 9 points.

Despite what the sewer rat fans and players think...it is not like they lined up and just beat the falcons.

Also Clayborn was held on Ginn’s TD.

It’s now or never. Everything we need to know about the real state of the current Falcons team we will find out in a win and your in last chance final game in from of their home fans. 

If if they can’t pull it together to win this game then this franchise is in serious trouble and we can’t just take it for granted that it will all be magically “fixed” in year 2 of Sark/Ryan

29 minutes ago, HighFlyingFalcon said:

Coincidence? I think not! Strange how one game is skewed to ATL and suddenly vice versa Towards the taints. The officiating this year has been atrocious league wide. 

Pretty much spot on. Come out and hammer the Panthers and set the tone for the playoffs or go home packing and hang it up. 

Those are the only two possibilities in my mind. If we squeak out with an ugly win that will do nothing for our 2017 team identity and we won’t make any noise at all in the post season.  God forbid we lose to the Panthers and squeak into the playoffs with a Seattle loss, that would be ugly. 

18 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

We just disagree. The bad play came first. The hurtful "good" calls are bad play. That is not on the refs. We blew up our first drive all by ourselves, we continued to miss block, drop passes, miss open receivers, and other non-sense to whole game. 

This game was on the players. Their level of play was insufficient. If they play one more game like that, they will have all season to learn how get better. If they clean it up, they could be the team no one wants to play in January...or February. Coaching plays a role in player performance, but the category of mistake we were seeing last week was just plain ole sloppiness. Last year when we went to our role players to take heat off Julio and Sanu they were money. This season, they miss their opportunities as often as not. Little paper cuts from the first whistle to the last.

When the team plays well enough to win, then I'll worry about the officials. 

15 minutes ago, etherdome said:

There have been plenty of "wake up" games this season.

That’s what I’m saying. But here we are, inexcusable non-execution rearing it’s head all season. I’m not putting the loss against the Saints completely on the Falcons, I refuse to. I think it was more the refs than anything and if we would have pulled closer they’d have called penalties against us. But, we should be better and not be in the position we’re in. They have one more shot to get it right and only one more. Anything less that coming out and firing on all cyclinders offensively is inexcusable at this point in the season. Especially if they want to last past the first round in the playoffs.