UGA Signings

Turkeydawg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, STI885 said:

I still can’t believe Greg said at Sec media Days in July that he was picking Florida to win the east because Ga didn’t have any good players on Defense like Florida did. Then he picked Auburn to win handily in the SEC championship game. And I’m pretty sure he has picked Oklahoma to win the rose bowl because our offense isn’t good enough to keep up with Oklahoma. 

Here's to hoping he gets yet another chance to "pick against UGA" in another two weeks.

Ok, let’s talk about the DAWG (not gonna say Elephant!) in the room.

From my understanding, Dawgs have the following:

1) Hard cap of 25 scholarships this period .

2) 20 have signed their LOI

3) 4 have not but are hard commits.

4) this leaves us ONE spot open - ONE!!!

Remaining Targets:

Tommy Bush, WR

Otis Reese, SS/OLB (Michigan)

Tyson Campbell, CB

Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB

Quay Walker, OLB

Obviously, the math up above does not work and it’s highly likely we don’t get most of these guys anyway.

My question to you guys that know this stuff is “What’s the plan?”   

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Remaining Targets:

Tommy Bush, WR

Tyson Campbell, CB

Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB

Quay Walker, OLB

Obviously, the math up above does not work and it’s highly likely we don’t get most of these guys anyway.

The remaining hard commits are "at risk" of being left out and looking for another school because Kirby is trying to land other "targets" which remain available.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Remaining Targets:

Tommy Bush, WR

Tyson Campbell, CB

Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB

Quay Walker, OLB

We just have to give some tough news to guys as those commits file in. It's not fair but it's football.

29 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

The remaining hard commits are "at risk" of being left out and looking for another school because Kirby is trying to land other "targets" which remain available.

This is what I thought.  So basically we are at 20 signed and those remaining 4 commits are just “suggestions” right now.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that all these guys are lower rated and well outside the top 100.

Has Kirby given each one of these guys the “It’s not you, it’s me” speech yet? :rolleyes:

So basically we have 20 signed and Kirb/Coley/Dell/Mel looking for highest guys left?  Is this about right?

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This is what I thought.  So basically we are at 20 signed and those remaining 4 commits are just “suggestions” right now.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that all these guys are lower rated and well outside the top 100.

Has Kirby given each one of these guys the “It’s not you, it’s me” speech yet? :rolleyes:

So basically we have 20 signed and Kirb/Coley/Dell/Mel looking for highest guys left?  Is this about right?

I think the 6' 4" Texas WR, Tommy Bush, is a HIGH Priority.

Then they want to get the CB, either the CA kid Issac Taylor-Stuart that has OV scheduled, or flip Tyson Campbell.

I think they would like to get the monster DT - Michael Thompson from St. Louis, if at all possible.  Getting package deal of MT and Mario Goodrich the WR would also suffice for two spots I suppose.

OLB - Quay Walker would be a nice flip/add too of course.

According to Sentell, Jordan Davis was sent his LOI on Wednesday just like the rest of the early signee's we were planning on taking. So he was viewed as a take, the staff planned on him being in the fold already. But for whatever reason he hasn't sent it in to UGA yet. He might be looking around. From what I understand, Walthour, Wildgoose, and Brule aren't being given the option to sign early, effectively putting them as "backup plan status" in case higher ranked recruits fall through.

I think it's clear Jordan Davis and Quay Walker have 2 of the 5 remaining spots if they want them. Which means if Davis moves on, and probably even if he doesn't since he delayed signing, you're going to see us make a big push for a DT like Sandidge and maybe the Thomas kid from Missouri. We're definitely holding a spot for a WR; likely Bush, but Ezzard is scheduling an OV for January now that his teammate Cox has signed. Crazy thought of the day: the #1 WR recruit in the country hasn't signed with anyone yet, Terrace Marshall. He's rumored to be a heavy LSU lean, but until he signs on the dotted line, you never know if the bright shining lights of this recruiting class might lure him in for a visit, much like ITS has had his eyes opened in a big way.  

You can bet your bottom dollar that UGA is going to hold back enough scholarships for Campbell, ITS, and Thomas at least until their official visits.  

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

According to Sentell, Jordan Davis was sent his LOI on Wednesday just like the rest of the early signee's we were planning on taking. So he was viewed as a take, the staff planned on him being in the fold already. But for whatever reason he hasn't sent it in to UGA yet. He might be looking around. From what I understand, Walthour, Wildgoose, and Brule aren't being given the option to sign early, effectively putting them as "backup plan status" in case higher ranked recruits fall through.

I think it's clear Jordan Davis and Quay Walker have 2 of the 5 remaining spots if they want them. Which means if Davis moves on, and probably even if he doesn't since he delayed signing, you're going to see us make a big push for a DT like Sandidge and maybe the Thomas kid from Missouri. We're definitely holding a spot for a WR; likely Bush, but Ezzard is scheduling an OV for January now that his teammate Cox has signed. Crazy thought of the day: the #1 WR recruit in the country hasn't signed with anyone yet, Terrace Marshall. He's rumored to be a heavy LSU lean, but until he signs on the dotted line, you never know if the bright shining lights of this recruiting class might lure him in for a visit, much like ITS has had his eyes opened in a big way.  

You can bet your bottom dollar that UGA is going to hold back enough scholarships for Campbell, ITS, and Thomas at least until their official visits.  

Great info.  So give me your dream team final five - and then your prediction on what is most likely to happen.  These days the dream and reality scenarios are almost the same - LOL

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Great info.  So give me your dream team final five - and then your prediction on what is most likely to happen.  These days the dream and reality scenarios are almost the same - LOL

If we're going full on "dream" scenario, it's pretty easy.

WR Terrace Marshall - Let me clarify with him, I overstated his ranking. He isn't the #1, but is top 5 or 10 at the WR position. But some love his potential to be the best in the class.

DT Mike Thomas

OLB Quay Walker

CB Surtain

DT Davis.

As for likely to get, who the heck knows. I do think Bush is likely. I think we do end up with one of Campbell, ITS, or Surtain. I think we definitely take a DT, but who knows which one at this point. I think Reese might end up in JUCO due to grades, but if not, then he's probably a Dawg.

Edited by RandomFan

Wow...Kirby is a maniacal recruiter....that's one thing that made me so excited about having him replace Richt. Because for whatever reason, Richt just could not consistently keep up with the Alabama's and LSU's of the world. This class is going to be something to see. And it's all born out of pure competition and the drive to be champions. Buckle in fellas....next 4-6 seasons are about to be a helluva ride!

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

If we're going full on "dream" scenario, it's pretty easy.

WR Terrace Marshall - Let me clarify with him, I overstated his ranking. He isn't the #1, but is top 5 or 10 at the WR position. But some love his potential to be the best in the class.

DT Mike Thomas

OLB Quay Walker

CB Surtain

DT Davis.

As for likely to get, who the heck knows. I do think Bush is likely. I think we do end up with one of Campbell, ITS, or Surtain. I think we definitely take a DT, but who knows which one at this point. I think Reese might end up in JUCO due to grades, but if not, then he's probably a Dawg.

Here is my stab at it - and I am going to stick more with what I think we will get - I assume everyone committed but not signed to UGA is going to get there walking papers - sorry guys you were almost DGDs  - wish you all the best and hope you find a great "Plan B" school that loves and appreciates you!

My predictionUGA remaining slots filled as follows:

1. Tommy Bush, 3-star WR (6'4", 191lbs - Schwertz, TX) - the size and speed is simply too enticing.  247 has his 40 time at 4.47.  Who knows if that is right but that is fast.  He fills the Javon Wims role and, as we saw this season, that role is valuable to an offense.
  2. Isaac Taylor-Stuart, 5-star CB(6'1", 190lbs - San Diego, CA) - big corner.  this is a heavy lift since this kid is from Cali and USC will be a strong pull.  However, Justin Fields, this recruiting class, Kirby's reputation as a defensive guru - and the fact that the visit is already scheduled for Jan. 26th, just have a great feeling about him becoming a DAWG. (others:  Tyson Campbell, Patrick Surtain)
  3. Michael Thompson, 4-star DT (6'3", 291lbs - St. Louis, MO) -  just a massive upgrade in talent over Jordan Davis and the Walfour kid if the rankings are accurate.
  4. Quay Walker, 4-star OLB (6'4", 220lbs - Cordele, GA) - why?  because we can and Kirby doesn't like to let elite talent get out of the state.  Given we have 5-stars Anderson and Cox and 4-star Tindall, Walker is not a must get but I believe Kirby wants him.  However, if Kirby could get a 2nd hightly ranked cornerback, he might be willing to sacrifice Quay.   I do believe Dawgs want a DT and a BIG receiver.
  5. Otis Reese, 4-star SS/OLB (6'4", 205lbs - Leesburg, GA) - this guy is a potential Alec Ogletree/Thomas Davis hybrid strong safety/outside linebacker type that will grow into full-time OLB which is what he was on high school level.  Hits like a ton of bricks and has no fear.   Apparently he has grade issues but he can be stashed and redshirted if need be.

Just now, wonderboy09 said:

Wow...Kirby is a maniacal recruiter....that's one thing that made me so excited about having him replace Richt. Because for whatever reason, Richt just could not consistently keep up with the Alabama's and LSU's of the world. This class is going to be something to see. And it's all born out of pure competition and the drive to be champions. Buckle in fellas....next 4-6 seasons are about to be a helluva ride!

you have to be maniacal to compete at the highest level of player acquisition in recruiting - it just was not in Richt.  He pulled good classes because at UGA, you should always pull a top 10 class but to get to top 5 and - even top 3 - you gotta be a maniac - and luckily for UGA, Kirby Smart is! :D

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

you have to be maniacal to compete at the highest level of player acquisition in recruiting - it just was not in Richt.  He pulled good classes because at UGA, you should always pull a top 10 class but to get to top 5 and - even top 3 - you gotta be a maniac - and luckily for UGA, Kirby Smart is! :D

How quickly we forget all of the complaints about the administration being fully committed to competing at the highest level.   And Richt just pulled a top 5 class at Miami. Just sayin...

17 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Are any of the 4 current commits greyshirt type guys? 

Unlikely? The biggest reason being the crop of talent that is available in 2019 is just *stupid* deep. I don't see the staff taking away slots in that class. If reports are accurate that Jordan Davis had a LOI to sign and didn't, he would be the most likely from a pure needs standpoint if it were going to happen... great size, bit of a project... but as I said, I just don't see it.

I have wondered on a couple of guys if there are any test score/grade issues as well. I *think* I heard rumors of it with regards to Walthour previously? Not certain on that by any means. As others have noted, it sounds like there may be some concern still on Otis Reese... one of the more plugged in guys says nothing to worry about, but ya never know with that stuff sometimes when it comes to grades, clearinghouse, etc.

19 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

How quickly we forget all of the complaints about the administration being fully committed to competing at the highest level.   And Richt just pulled a top 5 class at Miami. Just sayin...

Yeah... there were plenty of factors that led to Richt bringing very good but maybe not great classes. Too much rewriting history on that front for me. :lol: 

FWIW, while I think Miami will have a very good class, I do think there is a good chance that at least a couple of teams pass them. Alabama and Clemson right behind with more available slots. USC currently way back, but with only 12 commits (are they expected to have a small class or just lot of late commitments?). Additionally, if you look at the makeup of the class, it's still classic Richt. Very little in the way of LOS talent, and very good skill players. (Highest rated LOS player - #208 in the country OG. Highest rated DL 467 nationally). That approach more or less struggles in the SEC against the better teams, but I could see it having more success in the ACC, particularly with FSU looking to be taking a step back under Taggart.

20 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yeah... there were plenty of factors that led to Richt bringing very good but maybe not great classes. Too much rewriting history on that front for me. :lol: 

FWIW, while I think Miami will have a very good class, I do think there is a good chance that at least a couple of teams pass them. Alabama and Clemson right behind with more available slots. USC currently way back, but with only 12 commits (are they expected to have a small class or just lot of late commitments?). Additionally, if you look at the makeup of the class, it's still classic Richt. Very little in the way of LOS talent, and very good skill players. (Highest rated LOS player - #208 in the country OG. Highest rated DL 467 nationally). That approach more or less struggles in the SEC against the better teams, but I could see it having more success in the ACC, particularly with FSU looking to be taking a step back under Taggart.

>>>>  ding. ding. ding.   >>>> Additionally, if you look at the makeup of the class, it's still classic Richt. Very little in the way of LOS talent, and very good skill players  <<<< WHICH ALSO happens to be the majority of the talent in the south Florida talent base year after year. (Highest rated LOS player - #208 in the country OG. Highest rated DL 467 nationally). 

That approach more or less struggles in the SEC against the better teams...  **and will get you ground into the grass in Playoff games v. SEC teams majority of the time.

1 hour ago, frankly88 said:

how many offensive linemen did Richt secure in that class?