Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UGABOZ

2017-2018 UGA Basketball

578 posts in this topic

this is a horrible offensive head coach.. we scored just 51 points and went 1-11 in the final 6 minutes.. horrible horrible horrible. 

The SEC is fairly good at basketball this year (at least compared to prior years). That should not be an excuse to keep Fox around though. These 2 games this week were choke jobs. Throw in the poor 2nd half performance against Auburn, and I don't think it's crazy to say Georgia could have won all three of those. 

95Dawg likes this

55 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

No mention of the big win tonight...?

Definitely a good win. Maybe too little too late unfortunately... we have some quality wins, but really going to have to take care of business down the stretch to not be first four out or worse. Probably going to need to steal a road win at UF, or pull a win over Auburn or Tennessee among some other important games that are definitely winnable but now are probably "must wins". 

Great win last night over the Turds.  Looking at the remaining schedule, it will be tough to make the NCAA's imo.  9 games left, 5 on the road.  Got to play UT twice, Turds in Hogtown, Miss State in Starkvegas, the Barn in Athens.   Will need to win at least 5 of these and maybe a game or 2 in the SEC tournament to get in.  Don't see it happening.

Split with UT is reasonable; probably losing to Florida the second time; State is very beatable; and Auburn is a good team, but they can be beaten with solid 3 point defense, and not going cold shooting. 4-1 in those 5 games is a very good start.  

9 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Definitely a good win. Maybe too little too late unfortunately... we have some quality wins, but really going to have to take care of business down the stretch to not be first four out or worse. Probably going to need to steal a road win at UF, or pull a win over Auburn or Tennessee among some other important games that are definitely winnable but now are probably "must wins". 

Probably need to go win in the black hole known as Memorial Gym. Also probably can't afford to lose to A&M and LSU at home. 6-3 down the stretch and I would feel pretty good about Georgia's chances assuming they don't get clobbered in the first round. 5-4 and you pretty much have to win a game or two in the tournament

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

Probably need to go win in the black hole known as Memorial Gym. Also probably can't afford to lose to A&M and LSU at home. 6-3 down the stretch and I would feel pretty good about Georgia's chances assuming they don't get clobbered in the first round. 5-4 and you pretty much have to win a game or two in the tournament

Unfortunately I don't feel confident that we do any better than this, potentially not even this well. Shatting the bed in the last several games by blowing pretty substantial leads was just a perfect representation of Fox's time here. You sometimes feel close to a breakthrough... and then reality sets in.

Another poster elsewhere pointed out something that I hadn't really thought about but makes for a pretty good case that we may not fire Fox this year even if we miss the tournament - McGarity is coming up on the end of his contract (June 2019), so only has next football season and basketball season... if his intent is to retire (either by choice or encouragement) then the discussions for that may start up around the end of *this* basketball season, so they can start the hunt for a new AD. If that is the case (still speculation), the powers that be may elect to hold off on making a move from Fox as it would allow the new AD to have control over who is brought in to run the basketball program. Not saying it's a good idea... personally, I feel like moving this year would bring some advantages since at this time there don't seem to be a lot of high profile spots that may elect to move on which would drive competition for the top candidates. But ultimately, it is plausible that we might do something like that. I wonder if there is any scenario where Fox might be interested in moving from coaching to Athletic Administration... he's got the demeanor/skillset for it. We likely wouldn't be willing to move him straight from coach to AD, but maybe into a high level role there to help with fundraising efforts. He may have no interest, but would be interesting to see if we attempted something like it.

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

Decent win against Florida then go and get bullied at Mississippi State... smdh 

I actually said F this game.  Big win against Florida then lay an egg against Miss St.  It is time for Fox to go.  

7 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Fox is gone.. no way we make the tournament now and that is really the only he stood a chance at coming back 

Every team he has had that had a speck of talent always under perform.  We see Alabama, Auburn and others getting better but we stay maybe NIT bound every year.  This is tiresome.  UGA loses so much talent to other teams.  Even tho we are bringing in a talented class next year, Fox needs to go because he can do nothing with the talent.   

Bdawg58 likes this

2 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Every team he has had that had a speck of talent always under perform.  We see Alabama, Auburn and others getting better but we stay maybe NIT bound every year.  This is tiresome.  UGA loses so much talent to other teams.  Even tho we are bringing in a talented class next year, Fox needs to go because he can do nothing with the talent.   

Have you watched much Alabama basketball recently lol? Since 2006, there has been one NCAA tournament appearance. Hopefully that changes this year.

But back to the point, fire Fox. He sucks. 

Just now, tl;dr said:

Have you watched much Alabama basketball recently lol? Since 2006, there has been one NCAA tournament appearance. Hopefully that changes this year.

But back to the point, fire Fox. He sucks. 

And I think Alabama has more tournament wins than Fox.  If it is one then you win.  Totally agreed, Fox needs to go.  

5 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

And I think Alabama has more tournament wins than Fox.  If it is one then you win.  Totally agreed, Fox needs to go.  

We actually have not won a tournament game since 2006 against Marquette... Lost to UCLA in the round of 32 that year and to Creighton in 2012. But hopefully we can make it this year.

I really don't know what it is with Georgia. The St. Mary's and Alabama wins both look good, but then there are several "huh" games. I really don't know man. I don't really know who y'all would hire either. 

2 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I actually said F this game.  Big win against Florida then lay an egg against Miss St.  It is time for Fox to go.  

His reluctance to play certain players and then to watch guys like Edwards get minutes is ridiculous.. Crump finally gets minutes (just wish he’d run point because he can actually create more than Turtle) and ends up doing well.. needs more leash.. heck diatta finally saw the floor and didn’t miss.. but nah let’s play Edwards and wilredge right? 

Bdawg58 likes this

8 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

It may be that the Florida win is not going to turn out to be as big of win as it might have appeared.

the lady dawgs are 20-3.. yeah Joni has done a great job and her next recruiting class is very very good..