Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Fox RSN's Now Owned by ESPN

6 posts in this topic

ESPN's parent company Disney has reached a deal with 21st Century Fox to acquire 22 regional sports networks. FOX will retain the rights to Big Ten Network, FS1 and FS2. But the regional sports networks like YES, Prime Ticket, FOX Sports South and FOX Sports Southeast. ESPN is launching a paid streaming service in May 2018 and now having the RSN's means that we'll no longer get free local streaming of Braves games. We'll have to pay for ESPN's new streaming service called ESPN+. Hopefully it won't cost too much because I do all my watching using the sports apps and with MLB.tv, well you can only watch out of market games live. Otherwise you have to wait and that would suck.

This also brings into question the status of Chip Caray and Joe Simpson.

Link

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I have read Disney CEO Bob Iger is considering regional Sportscenter. We could soon have "SportsCenter South".

6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I have read Disney CEO Bob Iger is considering regional Sportscenter. We could soon have "SportsCenter South".

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that idea. In the 1990s I would have jumped for joy but now I don't watch ESPN programming at all. It's nothing but drama. They think that is what sells but they're too stupid to understand their drama approach to "sports news" is the main reason folks are cutting cable at an insane rate.

Does anyone remember back in the 90s and early 2000s on CSS when they had the Southern Sports Report or whatever it was called? It was hosted by Bob Neal. Now that was a legit sports show that covered the south and had legit sports journalism on it. There also used to be a show on FSS that was the same type of show that was really good. I miss good stuff like that.

What kills ESPN is social media. Nobody needs to watch a highlight show anymore. You can get highlights instantly on your phone or whatever. The content they choose to discuss as a replacement for that is horrible. Like early in the baseball season when the exclusive news story for the 6 PM SportsCenter was where Anthony Rizzo and his wife vacantioned over the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

What kills ESPN is social media. Nobody needs to watch a highlight show anymore. You can get highlights instantly on your phone or whatever. The content they choose to discuss as a replacement for that is horrible. Like early in the baseball season when the exclusive news story for the 6 PM SportsCenter was where Anthony Rizzo and his wife vacantioned over the summer. 

Yes. That was horrendous. And they kept showing it over and over again. Made me sick.

But seriously, I think most people would still watch a 30-minute highlight show if it was just the highlights, a few player/coach post game interview questions, and none of the other BS. Remember when ESPNews first started? That's exactly what it was. 30-minutes and you get all the highlights and none of the other BS. It was great. I honestly miss it. I know that I have greatly missed out on highlights since then because I don't have the patience to load up my phone or computer and search around to find the highlights I want. But if I can just sit down and watch 30 minutes then bang bam boom! I watch MLB Quick Pitch. The only issue I have with it is that it's an hour long. It's hard to make time to watch the full show when it comes on so late at night so they can get all the west coast games in. NFL Network, their final highlight show, the one with Deion on it, I like it, but it's like 90 minutes long. I ain't got time for that.

labradford likes this

MLB was the first sport to offer an online streaming service.MLB Advanced Media was formed as a result of this. This is where we get MLB.tv from. A couple years ago MLB merged with NHL and took over production of NHL.tv. Well Disney eventually bought into this service. Well, as part of this deal here, ESPN now owns the majority of BAMtech, as it has since been called. BAMtech is the technology behind such services as Hulu and Netflix. Disney wanted to get in on it because they're going to form their own streaming platform which is set to launch some time in 2019. They also wanted it to form their new online streaming service, which is set to launch in May 2018.

As a result of this sale, all MLB teams will get at least $50M in the first quarter of 2018.

Link