Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD-FalconFan13

Should we trade Vic in the offseason?

64 posts in this topic

Since we have a long week figured we could opine a little about scenarios other than the impending game. 

I was thinking, How much will it cost us to keep Vic at the end of next season? His rookie season was underwhelming, but his second season was fantastic. So far his third season is another let down. It's great that he's doing multiple things, but he's not really doing anything particularly well. He's decent in coverage, decent rushing the passer, a decent QB spy but not very good at anything. However due to his big season and showing the potential he has he'll likely demand a certain amount of compensation.

Now don't get me mistaken, I like Vic. He's a useful chess piece, but I'm pretty sure he's going to demand a pretty penny when his contract is up. And with Takk on the team, I see him as the future of the passrush at the DE position. We currently have a nice (albeit underwhelming) rotation of DEs to deploy and can improve with the money we'd save on Vic, the Matt Ryan extension and a few other moves. Instead of over paying a premium for a decent at many-really good at none type piece for a specialist SLB. There are a few guys up in FA that can work really well in this system. With that in mind, figured I'd ask, if you were the GM/HC of the Falcons, would you trade Vic for some decent compensation now while he's got relatively recent history of performance at a high level? If you would, what would it take to part with him?

I'm thinking we could get a 3rd and a 5th at least. Perhaps then we could target a guy like Barkevious Mingo or Tahir Whitehead in FA and use the picks to get better pieces for the team. We can even look to upgrade the O-Line a bit if that's a better way to go. Just a thought. Please don't flame me. Just interested in whether folks think, based on what you've seen, Vic is worth the 10 mil+ extension he's likely to get.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Since we have a long week figured we could opine a little about scenarios other than the impending game. 

I was thinking, How much will it cost us to keep Vic at the end of next season? His rookie season was underwhelming, but his second season was fantastic. So far his third season is another let down. It's great that he's doing multiple things, but he's not really doing anything particularly well. He's decent in coverage, decent rushing the passer, a decent QB spy but not very good at anything. However due to his big season and showing the potential he has he'll likely demand a certain amount of compensation.

Now don't get me mistaken, I like Vic. He's a useful chess piece, but I'm pretty sure he's going to demand a pretty penny when his contract is up. And with Takk on the team, I see him as the future of the passrush at the DE position. We currently have a nice (albeit underwhelming) rotation of DEs to deploy and can improve with the money we'd save on Vic, the Matt Ryan extension and a few other moves. Instead of over paying a premium for a decent at many-really good at none type piece for a specialist SLB. There are a few guys up in FA that can work really well in this system. With that in mind, figured I'd ask, if you were the GM/HC of the Falcons, would you trade Vic for some decent compensation now while he's got relatively recent history of performance at a high level? If you would, what would it take to part with him?

I'm thinking we could get a 3rd and a 5th at least. Perhaps then we could target a guy like Barkevious Mingo or Tahir Whitehead in FA and use the picks to get better pieces for the team. We can even look to upgrade the O-Line a bit if that's a better way to go. Just a thought. Please don't flame me. Just interested in whether folks think, based on what you've seen, Vic is worth the 10 mil+ extension he's likely to get.  

Go play your PlayStation man or fantasy games. 

RookieBird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stingbee said:

Go play your PlayStation man or fantasy games. 

:rolleyes:. It was a question. I'm a grown man. Please chill with that whoever the heck you are. Been on here a while and never seen you. This is a forum where questions are asked. You can choose to respond or not. No need to be a *****.

13 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

No

 

GTFO

Thanks for that rousing response. Again, it was just a question. No need to take such offense. 

3 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

What?! Trade Vic? 

Yeah. I get that his contract isn't up for a while and that he's a good player. But right now we aren't maximizing any of his strength because we're trying to make him a do-it-all chess piece. There are a few pieces we could get in FA that fit the system pretty well. Our team his going to have to make some tough decisions in the coming years on who to keep and who not to. 

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

But right now we aren't maximizing any of his strength because we're trying to make him a do-it-all chess piece.

I think getting him back to what he does best instead of that is a far better solution than getting a couple of mid-rounders for him.

They also have a 5th year option on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Good night. Pass rushers dont grow on trees. They are using him wrong.

I get it. Vic was a high pick and has shown great potential. But I'm just thinking instead of eventually paying him elite money  having him play two positions decently, we can pay two specialist guys decently to play the two positions he's splittling time at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Borat said:

If we were in fact looking to trade him, why would we do it after a down year when his value is low?

Well it's a more a less a bet that this system will have him look more like he does this year and did in his rookie year than he did in his sophomore season. If he looks like this for two more seasons, the returns might not be a 3rd. And I think we might even be able to sell him for a 2nd if we do it this off-season. 

Granted it would be a massive, earth-shaking move. But I firmly believe that there are players available next year that can play the position we have Vic playing more often this year better than Vic. If we can get a Tahir Whitehead that would be, in my opinion, a better fit for the position we have Vic playing this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we had a 5th year on his contract?  If so we have another season before this conversation really needs to happen.  

If at the end of next season if he is still performing at 2017 levels : ie poor tackling, and not capable of setting the edge in a conventional DE role, then I have to agree with the OP.  Cut bait and trade, cause atm Vic can't play Sam at an NFL level.   Rush the passer on 3rd down? Sure, but I'd rather spend elite $$ on Grady Jarrett. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you don't trade him. Our defense is finally coming together and is considered a top 10 defense. We've held two of the hottest teams in the NFC under 17 pts in back to back games and he's part of the reason... Although he's having a "down" year in the sacks department, he's also being asked to drop more into coverage or spy. He's still getting pressure when he rushes. I saw a hold and a hands to the face that could've been called against the Saints on Thursday.

He has 2 more years left in his rookie contract at a reasonable price. You keep building and hope he can return to double digit sacks. After his rookie contract is up, we'll either resign him to a good contract, tag him or he signs a huge contract with another team, if that's the case we end up with a 3rd as compensation anyways.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has been invisible from a pass rushing standpoint. I agree with OP. I doubt he is all that valuable to this team and if the FO has someone with a good offer, then why not trade him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hotlanta said:

No, you don't trade him. Our defense is finally coming together and is considered a top 10 defense. We've held two of the hottest teams in the NFC under 17 pts in back to back games and he's part of the reason... Although he's having a "down" year in the sacks department, he's also being asked to drop more into coverage or spy. He's still getting pressure when he rushes. I saw a hold and a hands to the face that could've been called against the Saints on Thursday.

He has 2 more years left in his rookie contract at a reasonable price. You keep building and hope he can return to double digit sacks. After his rookie contract is up, we'll either resign him to a good contract, tag him or he signs a huge contract with another team, if that's the case we end up with a 3rd as compensation anyways.

I get that we'd get a 3rd, in 2021. I'm just thinking about maximizing the window we have now. In 4 years alot can change. Julio, Freeman and Matt will be 4 years older. Coleman might not be here. And our defense is playing well, but he's not the reason. It's more a result of Grady, Deion, Keanu, Rico and Trufant all having good years. Then guys like Dontari Poe, Adrian Clayborn, Brooks Reed, and DeVondre Campbell have decent to good years. Vic has been having a down year mostly. He makes plays here and there but as you said, the position that he's being asked to play does not suit his talents at the moment. 

In my opinion, a 3rd (or possibly 2nd) pick in the 2018 draft or 2019 and a FA that can do what we're asking him to do WELL would help our contention for a title now. But I understand your reasoning. If he returns to form keeping him would be the right move. But I'm not sure what we're asking him to do will ever result in him looking like he did in 2016.

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, Beasley is playing a lot of LB and is dropping back into coverage rather than rushing the passer. Theoretically we could draft/sign a true OLB in the offseason and move Beasley back to DE. One bright spot of Beasley being at LB is that Takk is gaining valuable experience. 

MD-FalconFan13 and Shelley#37 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

How about we just trade FOR a linebacker that way beasley can actually rush the passer??

Would be down for this, but really the thought to trade Vic is more of an endorsement of our recent draft success. We can get a good pick for him and I'm pretty sure we can get a valuable piece on a rookie contract. That would be two pieces that can be specialist at a position instead of a cross-trained DE. 

And again, I like Vic. Just think that we nor he are benefiting from him playing both positions averagely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Would be down for this, but really the thought to trade Vic is more of an endorsement of our recent draft success. We can get a good pick for him and I'm pretty sure we can get a valuable piece on a rookie contract. That would be two pieces that can be specialist at a position instead of a cross-trained DE. 

And again, I like Vic. Just think that we nor he are benefiting from him playing both positions averagely.

I think it would be a very, very bad idea to trade him (especially for a 3rd and 5th) when realistically, if we move him back to constantly being a nickel rusher and CUT OUT the multiple roles, he could easily go back to being a double digit sack guy. We have two more years of that for cheap, where a double digit sack guy (or even a 6-8 sack guy) is often a 12-18 million a year investment.

The dude is getting half the snaps rushing the passer most pass rushers get. Not exaggerating.

kiwifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites