Is Sark Long for the Falcons? "Game Winning Drive" actually pretty good example of his lack of creativity

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I thought I was thought to be a heart attack but was actually a migraine?

When he was with the Texans he suffered a mini stroke. For some reason I remembered it as a heart attack.

Link

Then he had the whole migraine thing with the Broncos. It appears that he is not capable of handling the stress of coaching in the NFL which is why he left the Broncos. He even said as much when he retired from the Broncos.

54 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm still waiting on the folks blaming our offensive problems on Sark to provide solid concrete proof. All I see is a bunch of meaningless opinions and no facts.

Because the offense isn't performing like the #7 scoring offense of all time, something Kyle did that one time he was here. Sark is the new piece and there needs to be blamed placed somewhere. 

I think Sark is doing a pretty good job for a first time nfl play caller. He definitely needs to improve in some areas, such as scheming to get specific players (Turbo) the ball in open space, or creating advantageous mismatches with personnel groupings, but those are things that I hope and sincerely believe will improve drastically for him with a year of experience under his belt. Sark isn’t perfect, but he still doesn’t deserve half of the hate this fan base has given him this year. His play calling has been adequate and at times really effective this year, but that has often been overshadowed by poor player execution, and people are way too quick to point the finger at the “noob.” Sark shouldn’t be blamed for multiple overthrown passes to receivers, the dropped catches by some of the better-handed receivers in the league, or multiple balls being deflected to defenders for fluke interceptions, etc. Without these drive-killing plays our offense would probably be one of the best in the league have at least two to three more wins. It really reminds me of all of the bad snaps from two seasons ago that just seemed to plague us on a consistent basis.

I honestly believe that all of that post-super bowl attention and constant badgering by the media just kind of drained the players this offseason. I think that they were already worn down mentally by the time the season starter and they just haven’t been able to get in that groove or find the focus needed to perfect the details and perform efficiently as a team. I do hope I am wrong and/or something just clicks for them because we probably have the least injury-riddled team in the league right now and at the perfect time, and they definitely have the talent to go far in the post-season. They just need to gain that mental edge or “swagger” like they had last year, when nobody was dropping catches and everything was on point.

3 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

Is too!

How Sway?? Sark told the wr’s to drop passes for int’s? Did he tell the oline to hold or jump offsides? How’s he the problem when they looked like last year against GB, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Tampa?? There’s a learning curve for Sark but who was gonna come in and get the same results as last year when the ENTIRE NFL has game film on us? Kyle can’t buy wins in SF. Make me believe sark is the lone problem. Don’t give me opinions. Give me facts. And I’m an x’s and o’s guy so I’ll know if what you say is some bullsh*t. I wanna understand why y’all feel this way so give me good solid hardcore proof that sark is the reason an 8-5 teams offense sucks? 

8 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

How Sway?? Sark told the wr’s to drop passes for int’s? Did he tell the oline to hold or jump offsides? How’s he the problem when they looked like last year against GB, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Tampa?? There’s a learning curve for Sark but who was gonna come in and get the same results as last year when the ENTIRE NFL has game film on us? Kyle can’t buy wins in SF. Make me believe sark is the lone problem. Don’t give me options. Give me facts. And I’m an x’s and o’s guy so I’ll know if what you say is some bullsh*t. I wanna understand why y’all feel this way so give me good solid hardcore proof that sark is the reason an 8-5 teams offense sucks? 

This is unrelated and I don’t want to derail the thread but when I saw all the injuries from Thursday, I thought about your thread about starting the war. 

Back on topic, I think the issue has been execution more than play design. For example, if Julio catches that slant in the first quarter against MIN, he’s still running right now. 

18 minutes ago, OC said:

This is unrelated and I don’t want to derail the thread but when I saw all the injuries from Thursday, I thought about your thread about starting the war. 

Back on topic, I think the issue has been execution more than play design. For example, if Julio catches that slant in the first quarter against MIN, he’s still running right now. 

Lol. I posted in another thread “told you I started a war” 

Absolutely. Execution had been spotty all year. True he’s still trying to learn how to use an assortment of weapons but Sark isn’t the reason the offense underperforms by far. 

2 hours ago, vel said:

Because the offense isn't performing like the #7 scoring offense of all time, something Kyle did that one time he was here. Sark is the new piece and there needs to be blamed placed somewhere. 

The funniest thing about the whole "Sark sucks crap" is that the exact same thing was said about Kyle in 2015. But everyone that conveniently forgets that.

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

How Sway?? Sark told the wr’s to drop passes for int’s? Did he tell the oline to hold or jump offsides? How’s he the problem when they looked like last year against GB, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, and Tampa?? There’s a learning curve for Sark but who was gonna come in and get the same results as last year when the ENTIRE NFL has game film on us? Kyle can’t buy wins in SF. Make me believe sark is the lone problem. Don’t give me opinions. Give me facts. And I’m an x’s and o’s guy so I’ll know if what you say is some bullsh*t. I wanna understand why y’all feel this way so give me good solid hardcore proof that sark is the reason an 8-5 teams offense sucks? 

Exactly what I keep asking for. No one can provide solid concrete proof that Sark is a bad OC.

14 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Exactly what I keep asking for. No one can provide solid concrete proof that Sark is a bad OC.

Compared to KS it's proof he isn't as good...yet in terms of results. Objectively true, but I'm not a Sark hater. Big cheerleader for him actually. No Oc was going to come in and get a top 10 NFL History scoring output this year. It's the NFL and we are WCO. Not impose our will with strength. We must utilize our speed and design mismatches. Teams got an offseason to adjust and identify our weaknesses after we got hot and made national attention. We downgraded at RG significantly and have had issues with execution from every player on offense. Can't pin it on 1 guy but it's expected as people want to blame someone instead of actually fix the problem.

Edited by slimjim
13 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Lol. I posted in another thread “told you I started a war” 

Absolutely. Execution had been spotty all year. True he’s still trying to learn how to use an assortment of weapons but Sark isn’t the reason the offense underperforms by far. 

There have been plenty of brain farts, but with the Saints as beat up as they were we shoulda hung 35+ on them. I don't think he's that great at scheming people open and adjusting, but hoping that will get better with time. That pick on the hitch route was terrible by Ryan, but the fact that Julio knew that play was a terrible idea and Sark didn't is an example of why I remain pretty skeptical towards him. I think he has gotten better in recent weeks in terms of using motion, and stacking recievers to disrupt what the Saints were doing was a good adjustment. 

I do agree with others that it's a bit unfair to march him to the gallows now, given we would've missed out on a historical offensive season last year if we had done the same with Shanahan when the offense was sputtering his first year.

Sark is running someone else's offense. If the Falcons wanted to do that they should've hired someone who knew it best but they're gone to the San Francisco 49ers and LA Rams now. He's slowly getting it more but still, he's not that comfortable. I never was that much of a fan of his during his college OC and head coaching days. I thought he had a lack of creativity at USC versus Lane Kiffin / Norm Chow (more so the latter).

32 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

There have been plenty of brain farts, but with the Saints as beat up as they were we shoulda hung 35+ on them. I don't think he's that great at scheming people open and adjusting, but hoping that will get better with time. That pick on the hitch route was terrible by Ryan, but the fact that Julio knew that play was a terrible idea and Sark didn't is an example of why I remain pretty skeptical towards him. I think he has gotten better in recent weeks in terms of using motion, and stacking recievers to disrupt what the Saints were doing was a good adjustment. 

I do agree with others that it's a bit unfair to march him to the gallows now, given we would've missed out on a historical offensive season last year if we had done the same with Shanahan when the offense was sputtering his first year.

Guys have been open. Matt has missed them at times. Miss a wide open Coleman for a walk in TD targeting Julio or Sanu. Teams are also playing a ton of man to man against us. More than last year. It’s not a scheming thing. It’s how we’re being played. We’ve missed SO MANY opportunities because of penalties, pressure got to Matt, wr dropped the ball etc...Execution has been the main issue. We’ve seen the offense fly high this year. Also we’ve had a very difficult schedule. Hasn’t been a cakewalk and were 8-5. Last year we were in 1st place at 8-5. 

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

Guys have been open. Matt has missed them at times. Miss a wide open Coleman for a walk in TD targeting Julio or Sanu. Teams are also playing a ton of man to man against us. More than last year. It’s not a scheming thing. It’s how we’re being played. We’ve missed SO MANY opportunities because of penalties, pressure got to Matt, wr dropped the ball etc...Execution has been the main issue. We’ve seen the offense fly high this year. Also we’ve had a very difficult schedule. Hasn’t been a cakewalk and were 8-5. Last year we were in 1st place at 8-5. 

Then you think of our STs performance drop this year and the lack of turnovers by this defense overall...Add in how teams stay committed to long drives to keep our O cold...

Well dang no wonder but let's just narrative focus "Ryin suxors" or "fire Sark whhaaaaa"

14 hours ago, slimjim said:

Compared to KS it's proof he isn't as good...yet in terms of results. Objectively true, but I'm not a Sark hater. Big cheerleader for him actually. No Oc was going to come in and get a top 10 NFL History scoring output this year. It's the NFL and we are WCO. Not impose our will with strength. We must utilize our speed and design mismatches. Teams got an offseason to adjust and identify our weaknesses after we got hot and made national attention. We downgraded at RG significantly and have had issues with execution from every player on offense. Can't pin it on 1 guy but it's expected as people want to blame someone instead of actually fix the problem.

Was Kyle Shanahan not the Falcons OC in 2015 when everyone wanted to run him out of town? Oh wait, somehow that year never happened.

33 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Was Kyle Shanahan not the Falcons OC in 2015 when everyone wanted to run him out of town? Oh wait, somehow that year never happened.

True. But Kyle adapted and said he worked more with what Matt was comfortable with. Took a year...

Of course, no way to know it KS could've kept the pace going anyway. Likely not and we'd not be as good this year any way you slice it. Couple in poor run D, most plays per drive allowed by a D in the NFL (cough INTs cough), and one of the worst special teams years we've seen screwing over both sides of the ball and well there you go.

Honorable mention: Wes getting destroyed. We were going to regress at RG without a beast rookie. Also, with DiMarco being a bigger FB than Derrick no wonder the short yardage went back to troublesome and we used Poe instead. Lol.

Edited by slimjim