One Little Gripe

Peyton

Because I think the win last night was incredibly important and gutsy, I mostly don't have the desire to discuss negatives from last night.

But there is one thing that I thought stained a great defensive performance just a tiny bit.

The Saints go ahead TD was scored on the exact same play that Minnesota used to score their first TD last week.  And both of them were equally easy.

When the Falcons get back to practice, I hope they work on the communication / switching or whatever it is to get that fixed.  They have to defend the pick plays better than that.

24 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Because I think the win last night was incredibly important and gutsy, I mostly don't have the desire to discuss negatives from last night.

But there is one thing that I thought stained a great defensive performance just a tiny bit.

The Saints go ahead TD was scored on the exact same play that Minnesota used to score their first TD last week.  And both of them were equally easy.

When the Falcons get back to practice, I hope they work on the communication / switching or whatever it is to get that fixed.  They have to defend the pick plays better than that.

Agreed, they need to be physical on it like they did with Detroit 

3 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

My gripe would be Quinn not accepting the holding penalty, it worked out but could have cost us the season.  Maybe he should hire a game stratigist to stand next to him during games to feed him info.

Yeah, I am like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the!!!!!!!!! Sometimes when Quinn interjects his brain power on how to manage games. I can't remember to many games I have not been why did he do that? 

4 hours ago, Peyton said:

I thought the same thing when they scored on it. I was wondering how you don't expect to see this a few times a game in the redzone now.

4 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

That pick route is pretty dam tough to defend. Really probably should have been called because the blocking receiver didn’t even attempt to run a route much less only have incidental contact. That was the very definition of a pick play. 

Yeah from what I was told the WR has to continue on his rout and not make it look like he is blocking but got tangled up with the defender as he is running his rout. 

Then last night they said as long as he is within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage it is within the rules. I think that is correct.

5 hours ago, Peyton said:

I called it before Minnesota and NO ran the play.  There has to be better communication to switch defenders on the pick play in the end zone.

1 hour ago, NCFalconfan said:

I wish the league would ban that pick play crap. It's **** near undefendable.

I would prefer that we actually use that more in the red zone ourselves rather than jumbo set 3 times in a row. There was a red zone pass play called with our options being 1 olinemen, 1 TE and Poe. Are you ******* kidding me? 

5 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

My gripe would be Quinn not accepting the holding penalty, it worked out but could have cost us the season.  Maybe he should hire a game stratigist to stand next to him during games to feed him info.

Oddly, in retrospect it was the right call. If he'd accepted Deion wouldn't have had the Opty to close the game. They likely wouldn't taken the 3 and sent it to overtime. 

8 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

Most coaches could get fire for this had it gone other way...the probability of having success on 4th & 1 by any formula was slim to none.

Dan Quinn & Matt Ryan game after game show us few calls / plays which prove that they are extremely poor at Math.

37 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

I agree totally, Im glad it worked out like it did.

We all are. But we shouldn’t judge Quinn for a call like that. Whenever a coach gets forced into a decision where it’s literally 50-50, we fans criticize that coach when it doesn’t work out. That holding penalty really could have gone either way. I don’t think there was any bad decision there 

9 hours ago, Peyton said:

Check Tru on that play. He follows his receiver over to the pick area, and never follows the receiver back. He never even looks at that way again. It looks like he's looking into the backfield. Never noticed the receiver going across to make the catch.