Freeman's Fumble

I'm not sure if this is being overlooked because of  Paytons choke gesture but Freeman fumbling the ball with 1:00 left in the 4th quarter when trying to run out the clock is completely inexcusable.  I hate the New England Patriots (for obvious reasons) but they are the model franchise when it comes to not making bone headed mistakes and when you add up the lack of stupid mistakes they make, it translates into extra wins.  Belichick would have scolded him and sat him after that. That is what separates good teams from the mediocre ones.  If I were Quinn, I'd have Freeman looking from the sidelines next game.  He needs to be taught a lesson (especially after the missed coverage in the Super Bowl that lead to a fumble)

And speaking of Quinn, his time management at the end of the first half was pathertic.  Having two timeouts left with the clock running he decides not to use one and let it go until 14 seconds.  Again, going back to the Patriots, that would never happen.  They would have gotten 3 points and knowing they were receiving the ball to start the 2nd half, they would have went into the locker room and with intention and devised a plan to score a TD on the opening drive to go up 10 and put the game away.  That's the mentality we need.  The Patriots model should be the example for all other teams to follow.  How was our coaching staff not ready for this.  Just watching the clock tick away. 

Lets not even talk about the declined penalty in the fourth quarter.

I know we got the win last night and Matty Ice had some questionable decision making but our coaching staff has too many inefficiencies and strong organizations are founded from the top down.   

Just made a post about his fumble in another thread. To me that was as boneheaded as Ryan's INT. As veteran player, you cannot make that mistake after being gifted a red zone INT by your defense. And the problem was that he was completely careless with the ball. It wasn't a great defensive play; Freeman was careless with his ball protection.

Edited by dmo_dlo

That was a terrible fumble, he needs to have better ball security in that situation. What else can you tell him? Benching him for the next game would be stupid as ****, especially since Coleman is hurt. Wes saved the day, but that could've went left really quickly. I don't know what he was thinking on that run. Looked like he had both hands on the ball too, must've just been too loose.

4 hours ago, papachaz said:

but but but.........there are people who post here that say these guys are grown men, and professionals, and it won't do any good to chew them out.

:ninja::ninja:

I'm not one of those by the way, just pointing that out

soft generation. . . . . under the guise that they are "grown men and should not be talked to that way". .  . wussified 

4 hours ago, QuinnTorris said:

That was a terrible fumble, he needs to have better ball security in that situation. What else can you tell him? Benching him for the next game would be stupid as ****, especially since Coleman is hurt. Wes saved the day, but that could've went left really quickly. I don't know what he was thinking on that run. Looked like he had both hands on the ball too, must've just been too loose.

Thank you. I'm the biggest homer for FreeBird, but holding on to the ball with one hand was stupid as *uck!!! But what do you do? A lot of posters says you can't chew the player out, so what penalty do you enforce? Make him walk around with the ball in his hand for 2 weeks while people try to knock it out of his hand like Omar Epps in the Program?

the_program.jpg

5 hours ago, dizzydegenerate said:

I'm not sure if this is being overlooked because of  Paytons choke gesture but Freeman fumbling the ball with 1:00 left in the 4th quarter when trying to run out the clock is completely inexcusable.  I hate the New England Patriots (for obvious reasons) but they are the model franchise when it comes to not making bone headed mistakes and when you add up the lack of stupid mistakes they make, it translates into extra wins.  Belichick would have scolded him and sat him after that. That is what separates good teams from the mediocre ones.  If I were Quinn, I'd have Freeman looking from the sidelines next game.  He needs to be taught a lesson (especially after the missed coverage in the Super Bowl that lead to a fumble)

And speaking of Quinn, his time management at the end of the first half was pathertic.  Having two timeouts left with the clock running he decides not to use one and let it go until 14 seconds.  Again, going back to the Patriots, that would never happen.  They would have gotten 3 points and knowing they were receiving the ball to start the 2nd half, they would have went into the locker room and with intention and devised a plan to score a TD on the opening drive to go up 10 and put the game away.  That's the mentality we need.  The Patriots model should be the example for all other teams to follow.  How was our coaching staff not ready for this.  Just watching the clock tick away. 

Lets not even talk about the declined penalty in the fourth quarter.

I know we got the win last night and Matty Ice had some questionable decision making but our coaching staff has too many inefficiencies and strong organizations are founded from the top down.   

Agree with your post, but I'll say one thing... Quinn has his fair share of mistakes, so for him to come down hard on players when he makes catastrophic mistakes would make tensions across the team a lot higher. 

His decision to decline holding call in the 4th was a very very foolish thing to do.  The saints have a good reputation with 4th and 1, not to mention if you dropped them back 10 yards it would have made the FG kick a bit more difficult.  Forgot what the yardage was, but it wasn't a chip shot.  That 10 yards would have been huge if Brees didn't complete an 11 yard pass.  That INT saved his ***, but i don't think that **** call should be ignored.

Its hard to be a leader when you are the one making really uneducated decisions.  Its like he's putting all his money on black when the table is rolling a red.  Idk what it is, but he just doesn't make well calculated decisions under stressful situations.  I don't want to compare him to belichick because that wouldn't be fair.  BB makes some mistakes but when he does, and he addresses it, he gives calculated and detailed statistics as to why he thought his call would work in his favor, and then he learns from it. With Quinn, a lot of his bad calls all fall under the "wtf are you kidding me" umbrella.  Regardless of it being the patriots and BB having the personality of liver cancer, the "Do Your Job" videos really show you how razor sharp he is and how incredible his memory is.  Head coaches need to be articulate like this to succeed.  

11 minutes ago, dozenoysters said:

Its like he's putting all his money on black when the table is rolling a red. 

Don't get me wrong here because I fully agree with the first two-thirds of your post, but this is a really poor metaphor for an uneducated decision.  Roulette rolls by definition and design have no impact on any other rolls, so it's impossible to have any extra insight or education on any particular roll, regardless of what 'the table is rolling'.

The third that I disagree with is where you praise BB for making mistakes and then learning, but then chastise Quinn for mistakes.  Keep in mind that BB has been coaching for MUCH longer than Quinn and has had MANY more mistakes to learn from.  Keep the faith that Quinn is learning from all of these mistakes and will be a much better coach for it down the road.  It's not like Quinn is not addressing or acknowledging the fact that he made a mistake 

8 minutes ago, Kerwin said:

Don't get me wrong here because I fully agree with the first two-thirds of your post, but this is a really poor metaphor for an uneducated decision.  Roulette rolls by definition and design have no impact on any other rolls, so it's impossible to have any extra insight or education on any particular roll, regardless of what 'the table is rolling'.

The third that I disagree with is where you praise BB for making mistakes and then learning, but then chastise Quinn for mistakes.  Keep in mind that BB has been coaching for MUCH longer than Quinn and has had MANY more mistakes to learn from.  Keep the faith that Quinn is learning from all of these mistakes and will be a much better coach for it down the road.  It's not like Quinn is not addressing or acknowledging the fact that he made a mistake 

It was a bad metaphor, i was simply trying to say that his decision making is usually a crap shoot.  As far as the BB/Quinn debate. Not my intention at all to compare the two.  I only brought it up because the patriots were mentioned in the past.  BB, even 15 years ago, had the memory of an elephant and his decisions as a coach were always driven by statistics and probability.  Without making it personally about BB, i think this is a key factor in football IQ and a necessity to become an elite head coach.  You need to know what your chances are, and you need to have behavioral instinct, to increase your odds of making the right decision.  Hopefully that comes in time for Quinn, as well as many other coaches in the NFL.  

6 hours ago, Monoxide said:

It was such a clean fumble too. If the Saints recover that and go the short field to tie or win it, I honestly don’t know what my reaction would have been. If the Saints would have won it, maybe worse than my Super Bowl reaction.

luckily, that’s all hypothetical

I'm surprised we did recover it.  When I heard Torico shout out "Ball is loose" I thought "Oh great they are going to recover the fumble and get a second chance."   Unfortunately it is plays like that that have defined our franchise in a negative way.  Quinn cannot allow that to go unpunished.  I don't care that it didn't cost us.  Freeman was loose with the football, and this team is not exactly firing on all cylinders to just turn balls over like that.  

1 hour ago, dozenoysters said:

It was a bad metaphor, i was simply trying to say that his decision making is usually a crap shoot.  As far as the BB/Quinn debate. Not my intention at all to compare the two.  I only brought it up because the patriots were mentioned in the past.  BB, even 15 years ago, had the memory of an elephant and his decisions as a coach were always driven by statistics and probability.  Without making it personally about BB, i think this is a key factor in football IQ and a necessity to become an elite head coach.  You need to know what your chances are, and you need to have behavioral instinct, to increase your odds of making the right decision.  Hopefully that comes in time for Quinn, as well as many other coaches in the NFL.  

In that case, I agree entirely with your original post :D

Making mistakes in new situations sucks, but it is what it is.  In an ideal world, Quinn would know when he makes mistakes in a game and then spend time later solving that situation from a statistics standpoint, as you mentioned.  In that ideal world, Quinn would also be trying to figure out WHY he found himself in a situation that he wasn't prepared for so that he can put himself ahead of the 8-ball and truly minimize his mistakes.

I'm guessing there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 0-1 head coaches in the NFL today who are dedicated and smart enough to do the latter.  Head coaching is already more than a full time job, and the extra time required for analysis like that is not for everybody.  I'm sure that I wouldn't be doing it if I found myself in that role.