SEC Hires - Rank em

SacFalcFan

Rank the order from best to worst for the team that they were hired by.  Now that all of the sec coaches have been hired would be interesting to see the list..  Here is mine:

#1 Jimbo Fisher - Unlike other teams in this list who got their 4th or 17th coach they pursued, Texas a&m knew who they wanted and got him.  Jimbo is a championship coach and unlike his previous stop will get everything he asks for.  Great hire IMO. 

#2 Mullen - His recruiting is subpar, but he can hire a good enough staff to help in that area.  Mullen knows offense and they won't have issues at qb for very long with him leading their program.  I almost dropped him to 3rd by keeping 3rd and grantham, but he will be #2. 

#3 Moorhead - First off this guy is a brilliant mind offensively.  I was frankly stunned that MSU handled their job as well as they did and they got a great hire in Moorhead.  

#4 Chad Morris - First I really love his offensive mind.  He took a tough job and while didn't get them where he wanted them, they improved.  He took them from 1 win to 2 to 5 and to 7.  In order to compete with bama you need an wide open spread offense and Chad will take some years to go there, but he can win at arkansas. 

#5 Pruitt -  He was the vol's 17th or more option, but he is a good coach who can recruit.  Pruitt has shown a propensity going back to fsu of having issues with staff as well as other problems.  Pruitt will build himself a good staff, but he will have a very hard time getting the vol's where the fans and fulmer will be happy.  this is a boom or bust pick and he has a lot to prove as the leader of a program.  

#6 Luke - This guy was hired hoping that he could convince players to not transfer and instead stay at ole miss.. he will do well with kids who loved ole miss, but there were a number of hired guns who were brought in who will leave anyways.  luke may be a very good coach, but he is in an impossible situation.  

We will do a national list later, but I wanted to see what people thought regarding the sec hires. 

1. Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M - Tough division but they went and got their top choice. They overpaid with a ridiculous guaranteed contract, but for a program as desperate as A&M is for national relevance they got a good one. 

2. Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State - MSU wasted no time in conducting their search and hired a guy with great offensive philosophy who will build on the foundation Mullen set in place. I was impressed with the way MSU handled this hire. 

3. Chad Morris at Arkansas - Another great offensive guy who as mentioned took on a tough job at SMU and did a fairly decent job turning it around. Arkansas will need to have some patience as he transitions from Bielema’s traditional run heavy pro style offense to a more spread out pass happy attack. In a division that is largely dominated by teams like Alabama, LSU and Auburn who have inherent recruiting advantages, a spread offense can level the field somewhat so I think this is a pretty good hire. 

4. Dan Mullen at Florida - Mullen is a good coach and he should get a lot out of the talent Florida has, but he is a poor recruiter. This is a liability, especially at a program that specifically competes with some of the best recruiters in the country. He’s a safe hire purely from a coaching standpoint, but I think he will have a hard time competing for championships.

5. Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee - Volatile personality at times, but a great recruiter with good relationships in the areas UT has to recruit in primarily. I don’t think he’s ready for a head coaching job, let alone one with the minefields and political crap present at UT. I can’t see his personality meshing well with Fulmer at all.

6. Matt Luke at Ole Miss - With ncaa sanctions hanging over the program for a while, Ole Miss wasn’t going to be able to bring in a top target. Luke seems like a great guy with a real passion for the job, his players love him but he is a stop gap hire to get the program through troubled times. It’s hard to imagine they will have much success and unfortunately there is little he can do. They will struggle through the next few years and then go after a better option imo. 

4 hours ago, Carter said:

1. Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M - Tough division but they went and got their top choice. They overpaid with a ridiculous guaranteed contract, but for a program as desperate as A&M is for national relevance they got a good one. 

2. Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State - MSU wasted no time in conducting their search and hired a guy with great offensive philosophy who will build on the foundation Mullen set in place. I was impressed with the way MSU handled this hire. 

3. Chad Morris at Arkansas - Another great offensive guy who as mentioned took on a tough job at SMU and did a fairly decent job turning it around. Arkansas will need to have some patience as he transitions from Bielema’s traditional run heavy pro style offense to a more spread out pass happy attack. In a division that is largely dominated by teams like Alabama, LSU and Auburn who have inherent recruiting advantages, a spread offense can level the field somewhat so I think this is a pretty good hire. 

4. Dan Mullen at Florida - Mullen is a good coach and he should get a lot out of the talent Florida has, but he is a poor recruiter. This is a liability, especially at a program that specifically competes with some of the best recruiters in the country. He’s a safe hire purely from a coaching standpoint, but I think he will have a hard time competing for championships.

5. Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee - Volatile personality at times, but a great recruiter with good relationships in the areas UT has to recruit in primarily. I don’t think he’s ready for a head coaching job, let alone one with the minefields and political crap present at UT. I can’t see his personality meshing well with Fulmer at all.

6. Matt Luke at Ole Miss - With ncaa sanctions hanging over the program for a while, Ole Miss wasn’t going to be able to bring in a top target. Luke seems like a great guy with a real passion for the job, his players love him but he is a stop gap hire to get the program through troubled times. It’s hard to imagine they will have much success and unfortunately there is little he can do. They will struggle through the next few years and then go after a better option imo. 

Yep that'd be my order as well.

1. Jimbo Fisher, A&M
2. Dan Mullen, Florida
3. Joe Moorhead, State
4. Chad Morris, Arkansas
5. Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
6. Matt Luke, Ole Miss

I think all of these hires could turn out okay. I think it's tough to rank Moorhead and Pruitt, but I did the best I could.