I've said this before: Matt Ryan Cannot carry a football team.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Agreed. 

I don't understand why he can't just be a really good QB. He isnt Brady/Rodgers/Brees. He isnt Dalton/Carr/Keenum. 

He's a really good QB. Sometimes he looks rough, sometimes he looks fantastic, overall he's pretty consistently good and remarkably durable. 

Boring perhaps. Vanilla. But still really good. 

this ^^^^^

10 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Matt Ryan is capable of having MVP-caliber seasons..when he has an A-tier offensive coordinator. Just like Andy Dalton when Hue Jackson was in Cincinatti. 

He's a GOOD QB that is capable of high level play. He is not a bad QB by any standards, and he doesn't even need to be replaced. But he can't carry a team. He's been in Atlanta for almost 10 years. He's had a great supporting cast on offense 7/10 years (excluding 2013,2014 and 2015). We've had an elite offense one out of those years.

I like Ryan, and I appreciate him saving us from Harrington/Leftwich, but it's time to transition into a more defensive focused team. The identity of the 2016 Atlanta Falcons is gone with Shanahan, and now it's time for us to be a defensive-minded team with a better roster.

Invest heavily into the defense and get us back to the ship in 2018. We'll never have an elite offense under Ryan again.

I have to say the entire premise that any QB can "carry" a football is misguided and moronic.

Aaron Rodgers can scramble around when the play breaks down, but if his receivers don't scramble on their end or come back to the ball to catch some of his chuck and duck BS he's just a guy that can buy time.

I really wish we lived in an alternate reality where Matt Ryan had the same luxury that Rodgers, Brady, and even Peyton Manning have had in running the exact same offense for their entire career. Sure those guys have had wrinkles added and plays changed or removed but not complete changes in philosophy every 3 or 4 years.

Rodgers has had the same head coach and offense since 3 years before he was a starter.

Brady same head coach and offense since he was a rookie, and I've seen some bum QB's make that offense look good only to move on to a big paycheck and disappoint an entire city.

Once Manning was established with an offense, everyone else catered to him. If I recall he took his offense to Denver, and they had to adjust to him.

Here's a question for you how high up the QB ladder is Ryan if he had Shannahan as his OC for his entire career. It took their first year together to really get the timing and nuance down, but then he lit it up and Shannahan moved on to a HC gig. To me it feels like a lot of our issues this year have been timing and Sark still trying to adjust to the NFL.

I will have to hope that Sark really get's it together between now and next season and this offense can really get their timing back.

Well he has been carrying this team from day 1 and that has not varied. He has carried us to victory and defeat. We have had high's, low's and in betweens. You know: "the good, bad and the ugly". So much of it depends on how he plays that he is carrying us somewhere whether we like it or not!

I see a team carrying a team.  I've seen great players from every position suck donkey marbles and his team pick him up and all contribute to a win.  Remember the greatest pass of all time by Rogers in last years playoffs against the Cowboys?  Well, that's what many sports casters were saying...well, I also saw a receive make one of the greatest great catches of all time.  And, I also saw Matt and Julio do that to set up a perfect opportunity to win the SB, we all know how that turned out.  You win and lose as a team. 

The way I see it: The Offense at as a Whole can be out sync at times. 

As far as the 3 ints go well Ryan will take the blame but only the pass in the End was technically his fault 

because has to catch his ball that cause an int and Julio has to get his face across the defender or the ref needs 

to make that call if he was held.

We just seem to be out of sync. 

Matt Ryan has not had a great year, and has made some mistakes that have been costly over his career. However, his career numbers not only make him the best QB in franchise history but also shows that he is one of the best QBs in the NFL. 

Some of you here think that Ryan should play perfectly, even under duress to be your ideal QB. For whatever reasons you have it in your head that the elite QBs play near perfect games every time they step on to the field. They don't. The elites have good games, but they usually have a supporting cast that helps them to make plays too. Yes, Ryan has great support in some areas. You say Matt Ryan never carries this team, I say he does. He doesn't do it every time, not even close, but neither do Bress, Rodgers, Brady or Wilson. I know this because I've seen those QBs make mistakes by fumbling or throwing INTs. I've even seen them do it against the Falcons. Matt Ryan is under your microscope because he is probably the only QB you really watch.

The Falcons would not have had nearly the success they've had for the last 9 years without Ryan.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

No he doesnt, man. 

Last night wasnt great. A few of those decisions were downright awful. He has to be better. 

But this is absolutely not a Top 10 defense. 

Yes he does, if for no other reason than because he’s capable of much better than Andy dalton-type of quarterbacking. Matt has definely regressed this season from what he showed last year he is capable of.

agree to disagree on the defense.

11 hours ago, caver50 said:

Two INT's that shouldn't have been thrown.

True. This was the worst he’s looked all season. However watching every minute of every game this year reveals that his turn overs are mostly a fluke.  He needs to play better, but he’s not playing nearly as poorly as many on this forum are stating. 

Just now, Vandy said:

Yes he does, if for no other reason than because he’s capable of much better. He proved it last year.

agree to disagree on the defense.

I really dont understand how anyone could think this is a Top 10 defense in a general sense. We're in the 20s in pretty much every significant measure except yards per attempt. Which is normally a great indicator for a defense but when you let other teams complete 66% of their passes, you undercut the value of a low YPA. 

I suppose I could see an argument for "average" but Top 10? Nah bruh. Flashes though. 

4 hours ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

What? You must be blaming the Saints for catching them INTs and compounding his problems. Only one of those INTs weren't on him. The other two were ABSOLUTELY on him. Just dumbass, indefensible decisions. We should've won that game by no less than 10 points last night.

My comment was about the season, not just this game. Last night he earned 2 of 3 picks. 

11 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I really dont understand how anyone could think this is a Top 10 defense in a general sense. We're in the 20s in pretty much every significant measure except yards per attempt. Which is normally a great indicator for a defense but when you let other teams complete 66% of their passes, you undercut the value of a low YPA. 

I suppose I could see an argument for "average" but Top 10? Nah bruh. Flashes though. 

More than flashes. Did you watch last night? New Orleans is 1st in nfl in offense, and we held them to 17 points. 

Last 5 games defense is giving up < 18 PPG which includes  3 teams that are top 10 nfl in total offense....pretty ******* impressive 

sorry man, but that’s top 10 D in my and most other folks books. The problems this year have been on the offensive side of the ball. And our qb has reverted back to some old bad habits of forcing the ball to Julio. And I love matt, but the truth is the truth.

My first thought was that Ryan let his critics get in his head.  On his Dec. 4th interview on 680 Steak and Finn hammered Matt about his decisions during the game and why the offense doesn't look to Julio more. So why did he do yesterday.  He forced the ball to Julio.  When you look back on the interception in the end zone.  He had a couple of guys in the middle of the endzone wide open as he scrambled on Julio's side.