Atlanta on verge of adding two Argentinian stars

Atlanta United reportedly on verge of adding two players

By Doug Roberson - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

barco0.jpg   Ezequiel Barco.

Posted: 5:34 a.m. Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Though the team has repeatedly declined to comment, reports from South America have Atlanta United adding two Argentinians: defender Franco Escobar and midfielder Ezequiel Barco.

The possible acquisitions show manager Gerardo Martino’s influence and adds more talent to a roster that is already loaded with South Americans. They also bring into question  where each would be used and what formation the team would utilize.

Escobar, 22, would come to Atlanta United from Newell’s Old Boys, the team Martino used to play for and manage. Escobar can play as a central defender or right fullback. A report has the transfer fee of around $1 million.

Barco, 18, would come to Atlanta United from Independiente. He is considered one of the more promising young talents in the world. A report has the transfer fee at around $12 million, which would smash the MLS record for a transfer, breaking the fee of more than $9 million that Atlanta United paid to acquire Paraguayan Miguel Almiron from Lanus in Argentina.

If the transfer fee for Barco is remotely close to accurate, he would become a Designated Player because his transfer fee and salary would exceed $480,625.

MLS teams are allowed a maximum of three Designated Players. Atlanta United has three in Almiron, Argentina’s Hector Villalba and Venezuela’s Josef Martinez. MLS has created financial mechanism known as Targeted Allocation Money that allows teams to “buy down” a player’s salary, which eliminates the “Designated Player” tag. Atlanta United could buy down either Villalba ($770,750) or Martinez ($1 million), whose salaries are much less than Almiron’s ($2.3 million).

The same mechanism may need to be used to acquire Escobar.

Escobar seems likely to slide into right fullback, where Anton Walkes, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur, finished the season. The team declined to pick up the options on Tyrone Mears and Mark Bloom, the team’s other two right-sided fullbacks. The team hasn’t said if Walkes will return for next season. 

It seems unlikely Escobar would play centerback because Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, another Argentinian, and Michael Parkhurst, anchored a defense that allowed the fourth-fewest goals in MLS last season. Plus, Miles Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the 2017 SuperDraft, is waiting.

Barco seems likely to move into the middle of the midfield, which would push Almiron to left. If that were to happen, it also seems likely that Yamil Asad, an Argentinian on loan from Velez Sarsfield, won’t return for next season. Asad proved invaluable in Martino’s pressing system. He also scored seven goals and added 13 assists.

If Asad is bought or his loan extended, how will Martino use all of these players?

It could work if Martino decides to change the formation from the 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 he used the majority of last season. 

Options that could see all the players used would be a 3-5-2, which doesn’t seem likely because the team just signed to a permanent deal left fullback Greg Garza, who was on loan from Tijuana. That could work if Garza is used more as a wingback to take advantage of his attacking skills. 

Or, Martino could go to a 4-1-4-1, or 4-1-3-2, with Martinez paired with either Almiron or Villalba as forwards, a trio of midfielders underneath, and Chile’s Carlos Carmona as the lone holding midfielder.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/7/2017 at 2:42 PM, falconsfansrus said:

He is one of the best players in the world. The next Messi?

So I've seen a lot of buzz from Argentina fans, they're less than happy he's going to MLS rather than straight away to Europe. He's considered one of the key linchpins of their future, and yes even a possible heir apparent to Messi.

Anyway Barco scored the winning goal in the South American champions league final last night, and it supposed to be his last appearnce  for his club and the deal to come to Atl Utd will be announced possibly today.

I'm incredibly nervous somebody in Argentine soccer circles will try to talk him or his club into tearing up the deal for a bigger suitor  (luckily indications are he wants to play for Tata). His star is incredibly bright after last night. Household name throughout the continent.

6 hours ago, AF89 said:

So I've seen a lot of buzz from Argentina fans, they're less than happy he's going to MLS rather than straight away to Europe. He's considered one of the key linchpins of their future, and yes even a possible heir apparent to Messi.

Anyway Barco scored the winning goal in the South American champions league final last night, and it supposed to be his last appearnce  for his club and the deal to come to Atl Utd will be announced possibly today.

I'm incredibly nervous somebody in Argentine soccer circles will try to talk him or his club into tearing up the deal for a bigger suitor  (luckily indications are he wants to play for Tata). His star is incredibly bright after last night. Household name throughout the continent.

That is an amazing move... Can you imagine Barco, Almiron, Martinez and Villalba?.... The amount of money they are paying for Barco is unprecedented in MLS. In addition to that they just signed  Darlington Nagbe and Jose Hernandez, a talented defender from Caracas FC... I can't wait for the next season to start...

United are starting to get me antsy on this whole Barco situation. Get the feeling they're dragging feet for one reason or another (maybe to maximize the Nagbe publicity I dunno) and now they've given time for Barco's club and agent to start making noise about Europe. Hope they're just playing hard ball but I'm getting irked cause I was lead to believe he was all but signed. They need to send that private jet down to SA and get this done already before they get scooped by a Spanish club.

I'd be suprised if Barco still happened. Not completely giving up but this has all the hallmarks of them getting sellers remorse pulling the rug out from under us. Guess we should have been rooting for him to have a bad championship  game <_<

If I'm the FO I'm getting ready phone call Asad or start scouting a plan B (no shortage of young South Americans who want to play for Tata)

Great news on #Barcowatch

He has now officially let it be known he would like a transfer to Atlanta United. This is a big boon for us at the negotiation table

Best news ive heard since last Wednesday. If had a give a new prediction I'd say it's slightly more likely that he comes than he doesn't. I think it's either us or Europe at this point, I have a hard time seeing him going back to Independente if he's already accomplished what he wants to accomplish  and doesn't want to be there.

5 hours ago, falconsfansrus said:

Independiente went up on the Barco transfer money. Now they are asking north of $ 20 million....Looks like he might going to Europe...

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2017/12/17/16787862/ezequiel-barco-atlanta-united-independiente-transfer-rumors-news-fee

They're not getting that, Barco was valued at between 7 and 9 mil when we began negotiating 2 months ago and they got us up to 12. The guy who said they need between 20 and 30 was a VP running for president trying to win votes, they are a publicly managed team like Green Bay from what I understand, and he's supposedly already known for his reputation for big grand promises that never actually pan out (elections were yesterday and he lost)

Having said that it's clear Independente want more than the original agreed upon price after their championship run so the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

From what I understand Barco's family is impoverished to the extreme and he really wants to go to the US and make that bigger paycheck to secure their future and he's impatient to do so.

The rumor is were willing to pay him bout a million a year, which dwarfs what he's making now and is likely more than the European teams that CAN afford that are willing to pay for a guy that may not yet be a starter at their level.

Report: Ezequiel Barco wants Atlanta United offer accepted by Independiente

make it happen.

By Haris Kruskic@HKruskic  Dec 18, 2017, 10:05am EST

891957868.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Buda Mendes/Getty Images

In yet another twist to the Ezequiel Barco tale, Argentine network TyC Sports is reporting that the promising winger will speak with Independiente coach Ariel Holan and recently re-elected vice president Hugo Moyano to ask the club to accept Atlanta United’s offer.

Moyano claims “the offer came, but a deal isn’t done. There is no possibility of it going for $12 million.” This change of heart likely has a lot to do with Barco’s terrific performances in the Copa Sudamericana, which saw the Argentine score a decisive penalty to clinch Independiente’s first title since 2010. Barco is reportedly being pursued by several European clubs as well.

Yesterday, rumors surfaced that Moyano had put a $20 million price tag on Barco and would not settle for anything less. It would be tough to imagine Atlanta matching Independiente’s desired transfer fee, but perhaps Barco’s pleads to a club he’s done a lot for recently will help force a move.

The offseason is alive and well, people. Stay tuned...

Barco quiere salir de Independiente

El volante dialogó con Ariel Holan y Hugo Moyano y les manifestó su deseo de aceptar la oferta del Atlanta United, de la Major League Soccer.

•  

•  
  •  

•  

Ezequiel Barco habría hablado con su entrenador, Ariel Holan, y el presidente de Independiente Hugo Moyano, para que el Rojo acepte la oferta que llegó del Atlanta United para emigrar a la MLS de Estados Unidos, donde sería dirigido por Gerardo Martino.

Pablo Moyano, vicepresidente reelecto este domingo en el conjunto de Avellaneda, declaró que "la oferta llegó, pero aún no está vendido. No hay posibilidad de que se vaya por 12 millones". Es que sus buenas actuaciones en la Copa Sudamericana habrían aumentado el precio del joven de 18 años, que también es seguido de cerca por varios clubes europeos.

De todas formas, Barco manifestó su deseo de emigrar a la MLS y pidió que sea aceptada la oferta para ir a Atlanta.

The latest update from Reddit claims via a Argentine source no European team is willing to match our offer as of yet despite Independente attempt to hold out for one.

So to recap

He wants to come here

We are the highest bidder

They need the $$$

So let's make a deal I don't see the problem :shrug:

The latest reports still have Independente being stubborn on the asking price and playing hardball.

I will say if/when after we get this deal done or it falls through, Independente can eat our azz going forward. We had an agreement, the player had an agreement, but they won a championship and got greedy. (While punishing a player for essentially single handily winning thier title game) Terrible way to do business, I hope we favor their rivals in any future business dealings

3 hours ago, AF89 said:

The latest reports still have Independente being stubborn on the asking price and playing hardball.

I will say if/when after we get this deal done or it falls through, Independente can eat our azz going forward. We had an agreement, the player had an agreement, but they won a championship and got greedy. (While punishing a player for essentially single handily winning thier title game) Terrible way to do business, I hope we favor their rivals in any future business dealings

It would be very unfortunate if the deal doesn't happen...

We've reportedly bumped our offer to 22 million. That's waaaaaay more than I thought we'd go for.

Frankly I'm surprised Blank would approve that kind of increase given how bad faith they were (I'm betting he's rather busy with Falcons and National Championship and doesn't know the exact details assuming theyve been reported correctly)