Mike Conti 92.9 The Game said...

falconsfansrus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in the Dome days (back when I was a STH), people didn't get in their seats for kick-off. I went to many games where the Dome was deafening, and the electricity was through the roof. I also went to many games where people just sat there talking amongst themselves and not paying attention to the game at all. I always arrived at the game well before kickoff, tailgated, then got inside the place and in my seat for kickoff. I got beers in my seat and whatever else I needed. I often even stayed in my seat for halftime too. After the game, I'd head over to the Highlands where I often had parked (to avoid the high cost of parking at the Dome, and to avoid the traffic leaving) and taken a cab over to the Dome. I had a system in place that allowed me to have a lot of fun on game day, win or lose. This system saved me money and time, and I socialized with all my friends that I had seats around me and even with friends who didn't go to the game. Everyone should have a plan on game day.

I simply don't get why you buy tickets to a game, and then don't get in your seat at kickoff, or stay there when you do. I don't know how you go to a game and don't get on your feet to be a part of the experience. I like tailgating and seeing new things just like anyone else, but I go to the game to see the game, and to get loud from my seat. Doing anything else at the game is what I can do on other days and times, in my home or out on the town. I stopped buying 2 season tickets, just so I wouldn't be slowed down by the other person, and so that I could enjoy as much of the game as possible. I haven't been to MBS yet, but I hope to get away soon, now that my travel schedule is slowing down for the holidays, and I can tell you this. I'll get there early to check out the place, and then to my seat to enjoy the game.

9 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Even in the Dome days (back when I was a STH), people didn't get in their seats for kick-off. I went to many games where the Dome was deafening, and the electricity was through the roof. I also went to many games where people just sat there talking amongst themselves and not paying attention to the game at all.

truth 

My family and I were STHs for 17 years.  We tailgated for every home game. We traveled to 2-3 away Games a year.  I make a very good living and can afford almost any of the PSLs in the building. I know I’m luckier than many people who can’t afford even the least expensive option for a PSL.  

Even though I can afford them, I simply refuse to pay for the “right” to turn around and purchase seats. That’s throwing good money after bad.  I know those four seats that once had loyal, diehard fans, probably don’t mean a lot to the organization. But, they shunned the fans that lived through some awful years, such as when Harrington and Leftwich as our QBs and our HC left so he could go squeal like a pig on TV.  We stayed true and showed up every game, even after some extremely embarrassing situations.  The organization then gave a big FU to the fans that had been there for decades by expecting them to buy into PSLs.

Any professional, paid member of this organization should be ashamed of chastising fans for not being in their seats. You kicked a large part of your loyal (and loud) fanbase out of the building.  

23 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

And I don't get the fan being priced out argument.  There are about 100 listings on ticketexchange for $100 or less for the Saints game.  

My seats, on the 35 yard line, behind the Falcons bench, 10 rows from the field were $100 / ticket per game in 2016... where are those $100* tickets located at? ($100 before fees)   When you see empty seats in the lower bowl and ask why you don't understand how folks can't afford those tickets consider what they cost a year ago.   A comparable ticket today is $277.77 on the TicketExchange before fees.   The average fan either can't afford or refuses to pay exorbitant prices for a few hours of entertainment (if you're lucky).   

21 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

My family and I were STHs for 17 years.  We tailgated for every home game. We traveled to 2-3 away Games a year.  I make a very good living and can afford almost any of the PSLs in the building. I know I’m luckier than many people who can’t afford even the least expensive option for a PSL.  

Even though I can afford them, I simply refuse to pay for the “right” to turn around and purchase seats. That’s throwing good money after bad.  I know those four seats that once had loyal, diehard fans, probably don’t mean a lot to the organization. But, they shunned the fans that lived through some awful years, such as when Harrington and Leftwich as our QBs and our HC left so he could go squeal like a pig on TV.  We stayed true and showed up every game, even after some extremely embarrassing situations.  The organization then gave a big FU to the fans that had been there for decades by expecting them to buy into PSLs.

Any professional, paid member of this organization should be ashamed of chastising fans for not being in their seats. You kicked a large part of your loyal (and loud) fanbase out of the building.  

This is the truth,  I was one of 2 people in my section for the last game of the season in 2007, security wouldn't let us move our seats to sit closer to the field and there were chants for JOEY after Byron Leftwich threw multiple horrible passes... the Falcons will eventually fall on hard times again like that... they're going to wish they had loyal fans in the stands. 

20 hours ago, Statick said:

Have we ever had home field advantage before?

The way most of you put it (each and every week) we're outgunned every homegame by opposing team's fans.

Lol it's literally been this way for years. It's just an Atlanta thing. None of the professional sports teams get packed stadiums every night. Hard not to see why when you play in a transplant city that also has a terrible sports history. 

21 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

Lol it's literally been this way for years. It's just an Atlanta thing. None of the professional sports teams get packed stadiums every night. Hard not to see why when you play in a transplant city that also has a terrible sports history. 

This more than anything.  Seems to be some revisionist history up in here.  Even when the Hawks were good a few years back they had trouble getting the arena packed UNLESS they were playing a team like the Warriors or Cavs.

The Braves had plenty of trouble filling up Turner field for years but folks said it was b/c the stadium capacity was too large.

And while folks have a gripe about ticket prices there was always this back and forth with the stadium not being full for Falcons games until we were in the postseason or we had some primetime matchup against a team that traveled well while we were good. (Saints, Eagles on SNF/MNF, etc.)

I know that the crowd atmosphere has taken a step back but I think folks are acting brand new.

Quin needs to realize, NFL attendance is down in general with what they lost due to kneeling, then you have people who are just sick of It in general and think it's a decaying sport. 

Then the Falcons side. They priced out a bunch of fans, Plus the normal NFL drop,  and then they crapped the bed in a year with so much promise. You are getting what you asked for and showed up to play for.  Start looking like they actually practice and have a clue some people may return. Not all of them.

Nascar spent a decade destroying itself. Baseball hasn't fully recovered from it's screw ups. No one can destroy football? Right?!?  The NFL said hold my beer and watch this!

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

21 hours ago, Falcons_own_nfc_south said:

PSL kicked some of the fans out of the stadium

I do believe this.  I've never been a season ticket guy.  Just usually purchase a set of tickets a year so I can say I was there if it turns out to be a special season.  I was at the NFC Championship with my son.  $500 a piece for two tickets.  Well worth it.  Great win, knew the Falcons would not be stopped.  Hate they way they "HAD" it, but let it slip away in Houston.

I will personally never do PSL.  Asking me to pay $2500 for the right to buy tickets just doesn't make sense.  I understand it is the model, but it is a model I personally don't buy into.  Just like I don't buy into leasing cars, or interest only loans for a home. There are some things that don't make sense to/for me.

I will continue to look for single game tickets.  I do think the PSL have kicked the hard core fans out.  The life long guys.  I wonder how many people that had season tickets for 3,4, 5 seasons didn't renew.  

4 minutes ago, isproab said:

I do believe this.  I've never been a season ticket guy.  Just usually purchase a set of tickets a year so I can say I was there if it turns out to be a special season.  I was at the NFC Championship with my son.  $500 a piece for two tickets.  Well worth it.  Great win, knew the Falcons would not be stopped.  Hate they way they "HAD" it, but let it slip away in Houston.

I will personally never do PSL.  Asking me to pay $2500 for the right to buy tickets just doesn't make sense.  I understand it is the model, but it is a model I personally don't buy into.  Just like I don't buy into leasing cars, or interest only loans for a home. There are some things that don't make sense to/for me.

I will continue to look for single game tickets.  I do think the PSL have kicked the hard core fans out.  The life long guys.  I wonder how many people that had season tickets for 3,4, 5 seasons didn't renew.  

Pretty much where I’m at...on season tickets and the other stuff as well. 

19 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I don't blame DQ one bit. If you came from Seattle to what we have now at MBS what would you think?

He could've let it rip even more imo. The Atlanta Falcon "spectators" need to be called out.

They need to work on putting a better product on the field to give the fans something to get excited about. Maybe if they were performing, more people would stay in their seats to see the amazing things that were happening.  

3 hours ago, notthatcool said:

In 2016 I was paying close to $100 a game for seats in 234.  I guess I was getting screwed if you were paying that much for prime lower level seats.   

You were, we were in 235 for a few years before moving down to the 100's in 2013, the ticket prices were only $5-10 more than the 200's through 2016.  Granted we had years of seniority and were called to ask if we wanted to move and spoke with the CSR and locked in at a good price. 

18 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Can you guys read the article instead of just making stuff up? Didn't blame the fans anywhere. Sounds like you just want to be offended.

Agreed.

@4dabirds mentioned it but as someone that was STH before I moved to DC, we’ve never been a consistently great home crowd.  Vick had to make similar pleas on the radio when he first got there. At times it was electric, at times it was lacking.  I think many of the fans on a MB aren’t necessarily the fans to be called out but I think they’re not being honest about how “bad” our crowd has been in the past/now.

I’m sure Quinn is working plenty hard on the game plan and it hardly sounded like he blamed the fans for our issues.  However, the “give us something to cheer for and we’ll show up” argument is kind of weak to me.  Yes, getting over the SB has been hard but we’re not the Browns or the Dolphins.  

Did the Atlanta Falcons price out too many hardcore fans with their new stadium?

Dan Quinn called for more noise. We’ve noticed the new home for the Atlanta Falcons stadium has been unusually quiet and empty. Are tickets too expensive for some fans?

By Matthew Chambers@FalcoholicMatt  Dec 6, 2017, 6:00pm EST

usa_today_10293903.0.jpgBrett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

This week, both Dan Quinn and Grady Jarrett called on fans to make some noise this weekend. The Atlanta Falcons will probably need to finish 3-1 to make the playoffs, and their record at home is uninspiring.

We have seen the photos of the stadium still looking half full into the first quarter. Part of me wants to blame the complete inability to get to the stadium in under two or three hours. There were countless times I hopped onto MARTA or got within two miles of the Georgia Dome exit by 10:30 or 11:00 AM, and still miss kickoff.

New stadium, but people are blaming another problem. Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution first wrote about Quinn’s call for more energy from the fans. People on twitter were not happy, and there was a pretty common theme.

Maybe they should have stayed in the GA Dome!!! I would probably still be a season ticket holder if they were... Season ticket holder from 2006-2016 #stillafan #bestseatinthehousenow

Although I would be a very loud fan sitting in my seats at MB Stadium, unless someone gives me tickets for those seats, I won't be there. $2 hot dogs are great, but I can't afford to get in.

This is the stadium Blank wanted. This is "Arthur's Folly," a corporatized, no-one cares environment in which real fans are squeezed-out, and the stadium is more compelling that the product on the field. Fans are not at fault, @AtlantaFalcons are, all the way around.

The PSL effect. Most lower bowl seats owned by corporations not fans

Nailed it. It’s not the marvel of the MBS keeping fans from being loud, it’s the PSL’s owned by brokers and businesses keeping loud, real fans from showing up. Probably a bit of fan hangover too made worse by inconsistent play this year.

Sat in many sections of Dome incl 4 rows from top for 2010 SEC Chmp- view was great. Saturday 10 rows from top of MBS on 50 looking at back of Halo board with view of opposite front of Halo cut in half blocked by the part of it closest to our side. No thanks. For rich ppl only.

Had a perfectly good, loud as ****, home-field advantage dome to play in. For some reason, it no longer exists.

Did the cost of the new stadium, passed onto fans via PSLs and increased ticket prices, keep out some of the loud fans that give a team a home field advantage? The concern with PSLs is twofold: fans cannot afford the expenses of seat licenses on top of season tickets, and those that can try selling more of their season tickets to offset those costs.

What are your thoughts on why the new stadium doesn’t have the atmosphere of the Georgia Dome?

large_thefalcoholic.com.minimal.png

12 hours ago, coastiemike said:

^This. People who have a lot of money are usually smart with it. They know a PSL is horrible investment. Corporates buy them Bc they can take clients and write them off. That’s why the fans aren’t there. Average fans can’t afford them and wealthy fans aren’t stupid. 

On 12/5/2017 at 1:26 PM, mountain_jim3 said:

Article on ajc.com now saying Quinn asking for help from fans Thursday, problem is so  many  were priced  out this season.

later added:

The Falcons have a new $1.5 billion home, complete with martinis, fresh oysters and carved prime rib available for sustenance, and clubs and suites to pamper the rich and well-manicured.

But do you know what the Falcons don’t have yet? A home-field advantage.

Other than the first regular-season home game against Green Bay -- which may forever be remembered as, “The Night The Roof Was Open” -- crowds at Mercedes-Benz Stadium have been relatively sedate. Then again, fans haven’t had much to cheer for. The Falcons are only 3-3 at home in this 7-5 season.

Two days before the Falcons host New Orleans, coach Dan Quinn Tuesday declared  fans need to stop using their “coasters.”

“We need to make it as loud as we can,” Quinn said. “If you need an excuse later to be late for work on Friday, let me know, we’ll get that handled for you. Let’s get it turned up on Thursday.”

He was just getting warmed up.

“I used the analogy the other day: We built a billion-dollar house and we need to throw a billion-dollar party. You know, a house-warmer? Sometimes we’re still using the coasters. We need to be as loud and fun as all we represent as a city. I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed. (But) I think there’s (fans) looking at the house, checking it out. Let’s hope this is the (game) that it turns. The home field advantage is real. We’re calling (for) that from a team to see if we can get that even stronger, louder.”

It’s not Quinn’s job to be the Director of Fan Pep. He’s the coach. But the fact the team’s top football executive felt compelled to say something speaks volumes about the situation.

I’ve seen this before when a sports team moves into a new facility. Fans spend more time in awe of their surroundings, out of their seats and exploring the new eye candy than they did before. The game becomes secondary.

And, yes, when the team isn’t scoring 33.7 points per game again, the message becomes: There are fewer reasons to watch.

I also believe ticket pricing and the Falcons’ approach to PSLs have a lot to do with it. The team decided to maximize potential profit at the expense of shutting out Joe Fan this season when it decided not to have any single-game sale of tickets. Fans had to purchase a seat license (see: sports economic blackmail) for tickets.

The team held back no tickets for per-game sales. So the only seats available to those who didn’t buy a PSL were going to be on the oft-inflated secondary market. When so many every day fans are effectively cut out for financial reasons, there’s going to be a ripple effect.

We’ll see if Quinn’s comments make a difference, particularly in a game that could go a long way to determining whether the Falcons make the playoffs. Two of their four remaining games are at home. It’s going to be difficult making the playoffs if they don’t go 2-0.

dan watched that sec title game and thinks it can be like that lol

13 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Been saying this for years.  Glad people see what's really happening.