Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United Off-Season Thread

43 posts in this topic

Carmona sold for 1.5 million :(

This leaves a huge gap in our middle defense that could be a problem tho we got a nice little bonus from the sell to work with (as a reminder we got Carmona for free last year so this was a steal front office wise)

Be interesting to see who we go after. A lot of folks seem to think rookie if the year Gressel can step up into the role (or if not here RB) but somehow I doubt Martino will want that as his main option.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:37 PM, AF89 said:

Carmona sold for 1.5 million :(

This leaves a huge gap in our middle defense that could be a problem tho we got a nice little bonus from the sell to work with (as a reminder we got Carmona for free last year so this was a steal front office wise)

Be interesting to see who we go after. A lot of folks seem to think rookie if the year Gressel can step up into the role (or if not here RB) but somehow I doubt Martin will want that as his main option.

Why not Gressel? AU has done a nice job developing youth and I see that becoming the primary pipeline for entry into the starting lineup. Gressel did very well for a rookie last year and I see him improving on that as everyone continues to develop chemistry with one another. 

Most of the time AU will be dominating possession so my biggest concern is getting midfielders and forwards that are creative and skillful enough to break through stacked boxes. It looks like we got them in Barco and the kid from Portland along with Almiron, Martinez, and Tito.

Can't wait to see it all come together.

Add Miami to the list of future expansion teams.  I could see us forming some kind of informal cup and standings with Orlando, Nashville and Miami like the Cascadia Cup they have in the Northwest.

Domed Outter likes this

Something else to keep an eye on, through a series of wierd rules and league restructuring we are 2 points behind NYFC for a champions league spot in 2019. Don't worry if you don't get it it's CONCACAF nobody understands it.

Three ways this year we can get in

-Win MLS Cup

-Win Open Cup

-Finish  ahead of NYCFC and Chicago (don't worry about Toronto they're already in) which should get us in on a two season points aggregate  unless somebody in the West has a monster season.

Coming over in September and possibly October. Can't wait for the season to start so that my Saturday nights are occupied.

AF89 likes this

On 2/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, oztin said:

Barco out 4-6 weeks

Crap, and I was really excited to see him in action today.