7-5

Not to be a downer here -- I tend to be a glass half-full kind of guy -- but last year we had something to hang our hat on.  For better or worse we had an identity.  Not sure I can really say that about this team, and we weren't on the edge of playoff elimination.  I can't remember at what point Tampa pulled into a tie for the division lead, but we were never on the outside looking in.

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Not to be a downer here -- I tend to be a glass half-full kind of guy -- but last year we had something to hang our hat on.  For better or worse we had an identity.  Not sure I can really say that about this team, and we weren't on the edge of playoff elimination.  I can't remember at what point Tampa pulled into a tie for the division lead, but we were never on the outside looking in.

When we were 7-5, and glasses were half empty.

27 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

When we were 7-5, and glasses were half empty.

I mean, I guess.  I remember there was a semi-meltdown from even the most reasonable posters last year when Tampa pulled even with Atlanta. 

Personally, I didn't think the glasses were half empty.  K.C. and Philly were uncharacteristic offensive performances and the schedule down the stretch was a lot more friendly.  After K.C., you had the Rams, San Fran, Carolina and NO.  Two dumpster fires and two opponents running out the string to get to the offseason.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

30 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And we had a cupcake schedule remaining. Not the case this year.

17 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

At some point you have to change it up on defense.  How many times did the Vikes get 6/7/8 yard runs on 1st down?  That put our defense in a hole.  Okay, I understand allowing that a couple of times but at some point I'm stacking the box, make them beat you via the pass.  I wasn't that afraid of their passing game, but when they have second and short all afternoon, that's hard to defend and offenses can open the playbook.  

Last year we got on a roll, you knew this team had momentum, this season we've been up and down and you just don't know what you're going to get out of these Falcons.  Bad games, the Bills and Dolphins and Patriots, good games this season, the packers, Cowboys, Seahawks, and the rest were just meh games win or lose.  A lot of inconsistency there.  

I get what you are saying about the defense.  We gave up several time consuming drives that gave MIN a significant TOP advantage....but we allowed 14 points.  What more could we ultimately ask of the defense.  They have done their part this year.  We have lost 3 or 4 games where the defense allowed less than 20 points.  That sums up 2017 IMO.  If we knew in advance that our defense would this good, most would have predicted an undefeated season.  

20 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

At some point you have to change it up on defense.  How many times did the Vikes get 6/7/8 yard runs on 1st down?  That put our defense in a hole.  Okay, I understand allowing that a couple of times but at some point I'm stacking the box, make them beat you via the pass.  I wasn't that afraid of their passing game, but when they have second and short all afternoon, that's hard to defend and offenses can open the playbook.  

Heartily agree.  All season I've been screaming at the TV when I see the entire middle of the Falcons defense looking like an empty cattle pasture, nobody in sight.  Teams will just eat you alive when they KNOW all they need to do is punch a hole in the line, or dump off a simple swing route.  The Falcons seem to beg opposing offenses to just pick them apart by getting the ball into the flat.

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I get what you are saying about the defense.  We gave up several time consuming drives that gave MIN a significant TOP advantage....but we allowed 14 points.  What more could we ultimately ask of the defense.  They have done their part this year.  We have lost 3 or 4 games where the defense allowed less than 20 points.  That sums up 2017 IMO.  If we knew in advance that our defense would this good, most would have predicted an undefeated season.  

Understood, but it's not just about total points, it's about the Falcons defense NEVER able to get off the field.  The other teams are just dominating possession when its most important.

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

Understood, but it's not just about total points, it's about the Falcons defense NEVER able to get off the field.  The other teams are just dominating possession when its most important.

I know, and you are right.  But the offense had more than enough opportunities to score more than 14 points.  And with these drive killing penalties we are leaving the defense out to dry.  Our salary cap is still skewed to the offensive side of the ball.  They are the better unit and need to perform as such on Sundays.  Having a defense hold a team to 14 should be just an added bonus.  

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

I know, and you are right.  But the offense had more than enough opportunities to score more than 14 points.  And with these drive killing penalties we are leaving the defense out to dry.  Our salary cap is still skewed to the offensive side of the ball.  They are the better unit and need to perform as such on Sundays.  Having a defense hold a team to 14 should be just an added bonus.  

Believe me, I'm with you there.  During the week before the game I laughed at a Vikings fan who predicted a 24-13 Minnesota win. 

"LOL no way they hold the Falcons to 13" I said.

I didn't figure I'd be right, in the manner that I ended up.    :ninja:

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yea, our division was *** last year. I think last year was an anomaly in that sense, typically we've got steep competition year in and year out in our division 

2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, I thought towards the latter half of last season we were fixing that problem, but we haven't.  Our corners are good, we don't get beat deep, we get beat in the flat, on screens, and TE's down the seam.  If I'm our DC, guess what I'm concentrating on? 

Linebacker is without question our weakest link.  If the DL doesn't keep our linebackers clean, they get washed out quite a bit.  

Time to submit our draft card.  With the 1st pick in the 2017-2018 NFL Draft, the Falcons select Roquan Smith.  This kid has speed and physicality.  Future All-Pro IMO.  Unfortunately he will be long gone when we draft.  

Just now, A Dog Named Brian said:

Yea, our division was *** last year. I think last year was an anomaly in that sense, typically we've got steep competition year in and year out in our division 

Yep.   I bet if you look up the records over the past decade, it would be no shock if the NFCS is either #1 or #2 in overall win percentage. 

2 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Same time last season. We haven't took an *** whooping this season. We've lost some games that we should have won.

But we didn't win them. And if you think this 7-5 is the same 7-5 last year you aren't watching. We looked pathetic and anemic yesterday. Not to mention 7-5 isn't even in the wild card race this year.