Expectations versus Reality

Flyin' In DC

So on the 3rd year of the DQ regime we have made it to the Superbowl, are in playoff contention this year, we have top 10-15 defense and we just lost by 5 points to the best team in the NFC if not the NFL.

I don't like the inconsistency or losing to teams we should not lose to. I didn't like that we lost yesterday but as bad as the offense played we still had a shot. I always try to look at the positives in life and at 52 have learned that as much as I LOVE the Falcons, a loss to the best team in the NFL won't ruin my life. I know this is an internet message board but GOOD LAWD. Everybody has there right to vent and nitpick every decision, missed, throw or tackle, dropped pass and play-call. I chose to think we got outplayed by a really good team that forced some of those things. So I move on to disliking the Saints and hope that we can get Trufant and/or Poole back for Thursday night.

So lets look at the positives:

Garland played almost the whole game and from what I could tell played pretty **** well

Freeman looked really good and ran angry

The defense only gave up 14 points to the NFL offensive player of the month and a team who average 31 points the last 4 games

I think the secondary actually played pretty **** well for several guys getting thrown in there and Rico playing slot for a good portion

Shout out to Ricardo Allen who has playing IMHO, very well this year

Compare this season to how awful the Panthers were last year. I know injuries but we have had our share of injuries this year as well. \

Matt Bryant missed a FG so he is even more of a lock going forward

This offense was just as bad or worse under the 1st year with Shanahan

We have 4 games in division and I think we have a good chance to end up at 10-6. Worse case 9-7 and I believe we own a lot of tie breakers.

Say what you will. I know this team has flaws. I have mare than my share. I will trust in the coaching staff to do their best to get this team ready for Thursday night.

P.S. My only complaint is that Andre Roberts has the worst judgement in all of football including all 32 practice squads

I've been saying that Garland is better than Schweitzer for months. Bogus holding call notwithstanding, he looked darn good. He's physical and plays with an intensity Wes just seems to lack.

Freeman looked like Freeman. Were it not for the aforementioned bogus holds, he would have been even better.

The Defense looked good overall. We need to let Beasley do what Beasley does best though.

Overall, I agree. I just rewatched the first half. I really don't see why we didn't win that game. I guess everyone expects a blowout every week, but this is the NFL and that was a 10-2 team on a HUGE roll. They are a VERY physical team and for the most part, we matched that physicality. We didn't look out-classed at all. We just made some early mistakes and couldn't  quite close the deal late.

12 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I've been saying that Garland is better than Schweitzer for months. Bogus holding call notwithstanding, he looked darn good. He's physical and plays with an intensity Wes just seems to lack.

Freeman looked like Freeman. Were it not for the aforementioned bogus holds, he would have been even better.

The Defense looked good overall. We need to let Beasley do what Beasley does best though.

Overall, I agree. I just rewatched the first half. I really don't see why we didn't win that game. I guess everyone expects a blowout every week, but this is the NFL and that was a 10-2 team on a HUGE roll. They are a VERY physical team and for the most part, we matched that physicality. We didn't look out-classed at all. We just made some early mistakes and couldn't  quite close the deal late.

That’s bc your eyes told you we played better than them and we did. Penalties were the difference in the game. Period.

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I'm not going to flame you but I didn't see anything to be that optimistic about.  The Falcons offense yesterday looked like they didn't even believe they were the best team.  It was sad to watch.

This is my problem.  We conceded.

We went back to Smith ball...trying to spend the first 2 downs to get into 3rd and manageable.

That's a losing strategy...you can't depend on converting 3rd downs at a ridiculous clip all the time.

We should have been throwing the ball past the sticks far more than we did yesterday.  Be willing to take a couple potential sacks in order to utilize longer developing plays.  Stress the D.  Don't just accept their terms.

8 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I'm not going to flame you but I didn't see anything to be that optimistic about.  The Falcons offense yesterday looked like they didn't even believe they were the best team.  It was sad to watch.

“We knew it was gonna be a battle” and “tip your hat to them” and next week we’ll be “fast and physical”

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

You and me both.  I think the fact they're forcing Wes to play is kinda an admission that we don't want to give it everything we've got.  Sure Garland is the backup center, so the smart play is to go with Wes if he is serviceable.  But I don't think Wes is serviceable, and I wonder if Levitre is out, how things will shake up going forward.  I'd put Garland at the right spot and Wes at the Left.  

3 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Not starting Garland at RG all year is looking like a mistake. Admittedly, I was excited to see what Wes had to offer...but I'm watching from my couch.

4 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

That’s bc your eyes told you we played better than them and we did. Penalties were the difference in the game. Period.

I'm on board with this. 

The disparity between how they were calling holding on us vs. the Vikings was hugely impactful. Sucks that it happened that way and you'd always love to overcome that but its the truth. 

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm on board with this. 

The disparity between how they were calling holding on us vs. the Vikings was hugely impactful. Sucks that it happened that way and you'd always love to overcome that but its the truth. 

Yeah I thought Sark called a great game, but they would call it back every time we got a big gain and stalled our drives. I don’t recall MIN stopping us with great defense. The stop usually came after a penalty each time. And the BS holding on Garland killed a very likely TD drive at the 18.

11 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Yeah I thought Sark called a great game, but they would call it back every time we got a big gain and stalled our drives. I don’t recall MIN stopping us with great defense. The stop usually came after a penalty each time. And the BS holding on Garland killed a very likely TD drive at the 18.

That one was really bad. I also thought there were at least two occasions where our guys had Keenum dead to rights, their OL grasped and pulled and no call came. Pretty sure they converted both times. 

Tough to win close games against good opponents when that stuff is happening. 

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

That one was really bad. I also thought there were at least two occasions where our guys had Keenum dead to rights, their OL grasped and pulled and no call came. Pretty sure they converted both times. 

Tough to win close games against good opponents when that stuff is happening. 

Agree. I don’t know how anyone could watch that game and think we had a chance. On one of their last drives I recall a pass where Keenan had like 8 seconds to throw. Like our DL couldn’t get to him in 8 seconds???? No, this isn’t the Mike Smith DL. There is NO WAY you can stop Tak, Clay, Beas, Poe, Grady for 8 seconds or more without holding. I don’t buy it.