Lack of 4th quarter comebacks

Expert Poster

This has been one of the most frustrating things to me in recent years. If we're losing late in the game, even if it's just one score, it feels like there's no hope. The Jets are the only team we've beaten when trailing going into the 4th quarter, and we took the lead with 12:22 left. 

The Green Bay regular season game last year is the only game in the last two seasons in which we've trailed in the final 10 minutes and come back to win. We almost always come up short in these moments now (Buffalo, Miami, Carolina, Minnesota), particularly on offense. It seems like these times when Ryan shined earlier in his career. 

Needing a field goal to win, fairly confident, needing a go ahead touchdown, no confidence.

Game on the line on a 4th and short, pass the buck.

Let's just hope Quinn doesn't start going for it at crucial times on our own 30 on 4th and short like Smith did against the Saints once upon a time.

Edited by Domed Outter

55 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Needing a field goal to win, fairly confident, needing a go ahead touchdown, no confidence.

Let's just hope Quinn doesn't start going for it at crucial times on our own 30 on 4th and short like Smith did against the Saints once upon a time.

Lately, even needing a field goal is too much. In games where we were tied or trailing by 3 or less the past two years:

Chargers - missed long field goal at end of regulation; couldn't convert 4th down in OT

Patriots (Super Bowl) - had ball in last two minutes, unable to do anything

Dolphins - threw INT

Panthers - don't think we even got a first down

2 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

Lately, even needing a field goal is too much. In games where we were tied or trailing by 3 or less the past two years:

Chargers - missed long field goal at end of regulation; couldn't convert 4th down in OT

Patriots (Super Bowl) - had ball in last two minutes, unable to do anything

Dolphins - threw INT

Panthers - don't think we even got a first down

You forgot the Bills, went out on downs inside the 10.

The Falcons did get the go ahead TD against KC last year.......but then we all know what happened on the conversion.

Just now, Peyton said:

You forgot the Bills, went out on downs inside the 10.

The Falcons did get the go ahead TD against KC last year.......but then we all know what happened on the conversion.

I was just responding to Domed's post about feeling confident if we only need a FG, but yeah, it's been an issue in all one possession games. Heaven forbid we actually go down by 10 points. We haven't won one of those games since September 2015, and that was with Brandon Weeden playing QB for the Cowboys. 

3 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I was just responding to Domed's post about feeling confident if we only need a FG, but yeah, it's been an issue in all one possession games. Heaven forbid we actually go down by 10 points. We haven't won one of those games since September 2015, and that was with Brandon Weeden playing QB for the Cowboys. 

Yep, and any confidence is more to do with Bryant than it is the offense.

Because they won't run plays that put pressure on the defense once they get into the redzone. They play aggressive until they get to the opponents 20 then you will almost never see a shot into the endzone. No fade no back shoulder throw almost no throw ever past the goal line. Unless it is a overthrow that no one can catch. Kind of hard to score 6 when you play for 3. Got to have the nerve to take the shot. 

1 hour ago, high impact said:

Because they won't run plays that put pressure on the defense once they get into the redzone. They play aggressive until they get to the opponents 20 then you will almost never see a shot into the endzone. No fade no back shoulder throw almost no throw ever past the goal line. Unless it is a overthrow that no one can catch. Kind of hard to score 6 when you play for 3. Got to have the nerve to take the shot. 

I do think this is part of the issue. We’re not trying to score until we’re deep in the red zone when the field is helIa condensed. We’ve had this problem before in a couple seasons where it was just slowly chugging down the field and it’s hard for an O to be perfect to constantly drive the length of the field for 10+ plays. Need those explosive scoring plays

Yeah, if MR2 ever wants to be considered an Elite QB, he has to get his ability back to take charge and take the team down for a score and a WIN, in the waning moments of a game!  This has been sorely missing, of late. 
Seems like, at one time, he had the most of those of any active QB, thus, the name Matty Ice.....now, not so much.  
I think this is a big reason for our lack of 4th Quarter comebacks ---  

3 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Yeah, if MR2 ever wants to be considered an Elite QB, he has to get his ability back to take charge and take the team down for a score and a WIN, in the waning moments of a game!  This has been sorely missing, of late. 
Seems like, at one time, he had the most of those of any active QB, thus, the name Matty Ice.....now, not so much.  
I think this is a big reason for our lack of 4th Quarter comebacks ---  

He definitely needs to get that clutchness back. 

3 hours ago, Domed Outter said:

Ive called us the fg Falcons for years for a reason.....

Matty Ice hasn't been Matty Ice since 2012. I think defenses figured something out. It's just not the same anymore. You see Russel Wilson seem to do it all the time recently, but if we need a late score to win more than likely we will fail. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd rather be in a situation where the defense needs to stop the other team from scoring at the end except for being in a situation where the offense needs to get points late to win/tie. 

4 minutes ago, jay1k2 said:

it seems like our line is always getting blowed up too. When can we see Ryan with a Tom Brady all day to throw line? Wouldn't that be nice?

Please. Brady is getting sacked/hit at the highest rate of his career and is still putting up some of the best numbers in the league...at age 40. 

5 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

This has been one of the most frustrating things to me in recent years. If we're losing late in the game, even if it's just one score, it feels like there's no hope. The Jets are the only team we've beaten when trailing going into the 4th quarter, and we took the lead with 12:22 left. 

The Green Bay regular season game last year is the only game in the last two seasons in which we've trailed in the final 10 minutes and come back to win. We almost always come up short in these moments now (Buffalo, Miami, Carolina, Minnesota), particularly on offense. It seems like these times when Ryan shined earlier in his career. 

WOW! I was thinking almost the exact same thing!  

If the Falcons aren't leading when the 4th QTR starts, forget it, chances are they won't win. 

I've been screaming for a while now, the lack of the no HUDDLE and sense of urgency on the Falcons offense this season I think is one reason why. Maybe it's a lack of communication between Sarks and Matt. I have no idea, but I know what I see and if a fan like me can see it along with others then surely the powers that be can see this happening also, but the thing is nothing really has changed. 

I've said all along, the Falcons offense is built on speed and playing fast gives that speed an advantage, No huddle for one thing. 

Edited by WinningIsTheOnlyOption

1 hour ago, QuinnTorris said:

Matty Ice hasn't been Matty Ice since 2012. I think defenses figured something out. It's just not the same anymore. You see Russel Wilson seem to do it all the time recently, but if we need a late score to win more than likely we will fail. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd rather be in a situation where the defense needs to stop the other team from scoring at the end except for being in a situation where the offense needs to get points late to win/tie. 

Absolutely. Years ago, I'd much rather be down 2 with the ball with 2 minutes left. Now I'd feel more confident being up 2 with 2 minutes left with the other team having the ball, mainly because I just have no confidence that the offense won't screw up with a critical turnover, sack, penalty, etc. 

Edited by Expert Poster