To Matt Ryan - You should have been better than that

parmenion

Matt Ryan/Dan Quinn/Sarkasian/Freeman -  should all be embarrassed this morning.

A very winnable game that would have put them in a terrific place for a run to the playoffs.

Not sure what the problem is with Matt Ryan all season - doesn't appear strong enough - physically and mentally.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the offense amigo.  Its not Matt.  He has been fine under Mularkey, Koetter, and Shanahan.  Strength is not the problem.  He's about to have twins. 

I think, and this is complete supposition, Matt has no faith in this offense because the protections aren't there.  There is Little or no motion in this offense and the offense rarely gives him multiple options and recievers to throw to.

Edited by lostnmexico

9 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

It's the offense amigo.  Its not Matt.  He has been fine under Mularkey, Koetter, and Shanahan.  Strength is not the problem.  He's about to have twins. 

I think, and this is complete supposition, Matt has no faith in this offense because the protections aren't there.  There is Little or no motion in this offense and the offense rarely gives him multiple options and recievers to throw to.

I agree with you that Matt doesn't have faith in this offense and neither do the other players on the offense.  That's why the effort on some of them is shoddy, they don't believe in the plays.

3 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

I am sure that Matt would be the first to admit his play wasn't great.

What did Freeman do wrong? He averaged 6.2 yards a carry?

The problem is that he is a class act and won't admit he has no faith in this offense assuming that is the case. 

Don't hate the player!  Hate the game! 

And the game is being dictated by a coordinator with NO NFL Experience prior to Atlanta!

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I agree with you that Matt doesn't have faith in this offense and neither do the other players on the offense.  That's why the effort on some of them is shoddy, they don't believe in the plays.

Sark has called some pretty creative plays. I don’t believe this at all.  There was some head scratchers as well but there is a lot of potential in Sark as a play caller.  Unfortunately, I think it is going to take a whole season calling NFL plays with this personnel before we play consistently great offensive football.

Ryan over and under threw some receivers in stride yesterday.  Receivers also dropped catchable passes.  Yesterday’s loss was due equally to play calling bumbles and poor execution.

Just now, abstract said:

Sark has called some pretty creative plays. I don’t believe this at all.  There was some head scratchers as well but there is a lot of potential in Sark as a play caller.  Unfortunately, I think it is going to take a whole season calling NFL plays with this personnel before we play consistently great offensive football.

Ryan over and under threw some receivers in stride yesterday.  Receivers also dropped catchable passes.  Yesterday’s loss was due equally to play calling bumbles and poor execution.

I'll give you a specific example of a goofy azz play the players didn't have faith in.

That goofy azz play they ran on 3rd and 4 on their last offensive play of the first half.  Got completely blown up because it was a bad play and the players didn't believe in it either.

They ran the same play again to Julio in the second half and the Vikes blew it up again, but Julio was so pizzed by then he refused to go down and made a good gain of it.

I will say this about Sark- 

I really don’t think he knows how to properly manage an offense as stacked as our as of yet.  I think there are so many options that he feels the need to get everybody involved every single game.  Sure there were some games last year where we had 9 or 10 receivers catching balls but it seemed like our offensive weapons took turns dominating games.  If Julio, Coleman, freeman, Gabriel, or our TE group in general were exposing mismatches then Shanahan would expose that mismatch all game and those players would have great individual days.  

Just now, TSprings said:

I agree Sark called some creative plays. I think they are fighting between calling designed plays (the scheme open) plays and just giving MR multiple options to throw to and letting him go to work.

Would like to see more of the latter- more Koetter days style 

Sark's plays are too creative. Some of them are downright goofy.

That being said, I don't really understand why Ryan and Jones/Sanu have lost the ability to execute a simple slant pattern.

3 minutes ago, abstract said:

That is too funny abstract!  You say Sark has called some pretty creative plays then follow it by saying you don't believe this at all! 

I am with you dude!  Sark is not ready for prime time. 

He needs to be less creative and more fundamental!  Case in point....control the line of scrimmage.  Then you can be creative but not until you get the fundamentals down...like control the line of scrimmage!

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I'll give you a specific example of a goofy azz play the players didn't have faith in.

That goofy azz play they ran on 3rd and 4 on their last offensive play of the first half.  Got completely blown up because it was a bad play and the players didn't believe in it either.

They ran the same play again to Julio in the second half and the Vikes blew it up again, but Julio was so pizzed by then he refused to go down and made a good gain of it.

I just don’t think our offensive players, especially Ryan and Jones, carry that mentality.  Sark has drawn up some good plays, our players know this.  He has also drawn up plays that have been blown up before they started.  

This is Sarks first time calling plays in the NFL, everybody in flowery branch is aware of this.  I wouldn’t go as far as to say anybody is giving up on him or lacks faith in him though.  At least not the way Roddy reacted to shanahans first year.

1 minute ago, abstract said:

I just don’t think our offensive players, especially Ryan and Jones, carry that mentality.  Sark has drawn up some good plays, our players know this.  He has also drawn up plays that have been blown up before they started.  

This is Sarks first time calling plays in the NFL, everybody in flowery branch is aware of this.  I wouldn’t go as far as to say anybody is giving up on him or lacks faith in him though.  At least not the way Roddy reacted to shanahans first year.

Matt and Julio are professionals so they are always going to say the right things.

Roddy White.....saying the right things was always a challenge for him.

Sarkisian is over his head, he was a bad hire. 

I thought Matt Ryan's expertise in the offense would overcome Sark's NFL inexperience, but time is running out fast for that to happen this year.

4 minutes ago, abstract said:

This is Sarks first time calling plays in the NFL, everybody in flowery branch is aware of this.  I wouldn’t go as far as to say anybody is giving up on him or lacks faith in him though.  At least not the way Roddy reacted to shanahans first year

If Roddy were still here, he would be jumpin off sides all day ......forcing Sark to call something else.  Honestly, I miss Roddy.  We need somebody on this team who won't drink the Kool Aid and just speak the truth!

Edited by lostnmexico

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

Matt and Julio are professionals so they are always going to say the right things.

Roddy White.....saying the right things was always a challenge for him.

Sarkisian is over his head, he was a bad hire. 

I thought Matt Ryan's expertise in the offense would overcome Sark's NFL inexperience, but time is running out fast for that to happen this year.

I just don’t think that Sark is doing any worse than Shanahan in his first year.  And I thought that was a particularly bad hire initially.

Edited by abstract

3 minutes ago, abstract said:

I just don’t think that Sark is doing any worse than Shanahan in his first year.  And I thought that was a particularly bad hire initially.

Numbers don't lie amigo.  Both streaks that go back through multiple coordinators were broken on Sarks watch!  Sark IS a problem.  He needs to get it together or in the words of Marion Campbell....get the he11 out!

Edited by lostnmexico

1 minute ago, abstract said:

Yes but this offense wasn't suppose to change.

Shanahan was bringing in a completely new system, and the Falcons didn't have Sanu and Gabriel.  The Falcons were rolling with Leonard Hankerson at WR2.

9 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

That is too funny abstract!  You say Sark has called some pretty creative plays then follow it by saying you don't believe this at all! 

I am with you dude!  Sark is not ready for prime time. 

He needs to be less creative and more fundamental!  Case in point....control the line of scrimmage.  Then you can be creative but not until you get the fundamentals down...like control the line of scrimmage!

I mean we didn’t allow a sack yesterday.  Freeman was productive on the ground.  Sarkisian’s biggest mishap’s yesterday were the continued runs to Coleman in the second half when Freeman was clearly more productive and the blown up WR screens.  

There were definitely a couple of drives in the first half where we should have scored touchdowns.  Those field goals should have been touchdowns, but penalties and poor execution once we got in Vikings territory killed those drives.  We would be singing a different tune right now if those early drives weren’t stalled.  We were effectively marching down the field in the first half.

The fact that we didn't allow a sack is a credit to Matt Ryan.  He threw the ball away several times rather than risk taking a sack but the opponents rush was real.  The lack of touchdowns was real.  The lack of yardage and execution was real. Like or not, it all goes back to the coordinator and coaching. 

Look, this thread started by saying Matt isnt weak cause he is having twins and how Sark is a turd stain in a jockstrap... Look man simply put, players are paid more than coaches for a reason! Coaches call plays yes but Shanny calling that play in the SB didnt make Julio have that INSANE catch. Simply put, yes some plays could be better designed and I think they will with this season over and another full offseason to iron it out but PLEASE STOP with this madness! Our super short handed D overcame it all and stood the F*ck up! Our O has done this time and time again all year and at the end of the day the players need to step up and perform! PERIOD!! Matt was not on a high level at all today, and O as a whole didnt seem hungry enough. Our D played like they had their manhood challenged and they did what a real man does. I love my team but this O seemed to lack that KILL ANYTHING ELSE attitude. 4 more to go, now lets go GET EM!!! Starting with the taints this is KILLING SEASON.... LEH GO!!!

3 minutes ago, HULK said:

Look, this thread started by saying Matt isnt weak cause he is having twins and how Sark is a turd stain in a jockstrap... Look man simply put, players are paid more than coaches for a reason! Coaches call plays yes but Shanny calling that play in the SB didnt make Julio have that INSANE catch. Simply put, yes some plays could be better designed and I think they will with this season over and another full offseason to iron it out but PLEASE STOP with this madness! Our super short handed D overcame it all and stood the F*ck up! Our O has done this time and time again all year and at the end of the day the players need to step up and perform! PERIOD!! Matt was not on a high level at all today, and O as a whole didnt seem hungry enough. Our D played like they had their manhood challenged and they did what a real man does. I love my team but this O seemed to lack that KILL ANYTHING ELSE attitude. 4 more to go, now lets go GET EM!!! Starting with the taints this is KILLING SEASON.... LEH GO!!!

I am with you and we will see but any hunter knows, you cant kill an elephant when the game warden is holding you back!