The State of our Roster according to PFF

Kayoh

UPDATED GRADES POST: 

PREVIOUS UPDATES:

Take this with a grain of salt, just posting this as a way to keep track of what PFF thinks of our guys.

QB

• Matt Ryan 89.8

RB

• Devonta Freeman 90.2
  • Tevin Coleman 73.6
  • Terron Ward 62.2

FB

• Derrick Coleman 33.2

WR

• Julio Jones 93.3
  • Mohamed Sanu 82.6
  • Taylor Gabriel 72.8
  • Justin Hardy 53.0
  • Andre Roberts 62.0
  • Nick Williams 72.4
  • Marvin Hall 70.2

TE

• Austin Hooper 75.4
  • Levine Toilolo 47.5
  • Eric Saubert 54.4

OT

• Jake Matthews 79.0
  • Ryan Schraeder 72.2
  • Ty Sambrailo 41.7

OG

• Andy Levitre 79.6
  • Wes Schweitzer 42.7
  • Ben Garland 71.5

C

• Alex Mack 88.0

DI

• Grady Jarrett 85.1
  • Dontari Poe 80.3
  • Courtney Upshaw 72.6
  • Jack Crawford 59.7
  • Ahtyba Rubin 55.4

ED

• Vic Beasley 52.8
  • Adrian Clayborn 88.6
  • Brooks Reed 80.5
  • Takkarist McKinley 78.9
  • Derrick Shelby 78.2

LB

• Deion Jones 82.0
  • De'Vondre Campbell 80.5
  • Duke Riley 39.7
  • LaRoy Reynolds 70.5
  • Kemal Ishmael 57.1
  • Sean Weatherspoon 47.5

CB

• Desmond Trufant 88.3
  • Robert Alford 74.1
  • Brian Poole 77.0
  • C.J. Goodwin 39.6
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson 74.2

S

• Keanu Neal 87.9
  • Ricardo Allen 74.4
  • Damontae Kazee 73.8
  • Sharrod Neasman 50.4

On 12/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, etherdome said:

Wes Schweitzer 42.7

I will repeat my request (now a decade old):

Can we please acquire a dominant RG?  I  really would like for our RB's to run behind a hoss when we need those down-and-dirty yards.  

No we can't because they cost too much in FA and the draft is a lottery picking O-lineman.

UPDATE 12/21/2017

QB

• Matt Ryan 88.1 ( ↓ 1.8 )

RB

• Devonta Freeman 86.0 ( ↓ 4.2 )
  • Tevin Coleman 76.8 ( ↑ 3.2 )
  • Terron Ward 71.6 ( ↑ 9.4 )

FB

• Derrick Coleman 31.8 ( ↓ 1.4 )

WR

• Julio Jones 90.7 ( ↓ 2.6 )
  • Mohamed Sanu 82.8 ( ↑ 0.2 )
  • Taylor Gabriel 71.6 ( ↓ 1.2 )
  • Justin Hardy 54.7 ( ↑ 1.7 )
  • Andre Roberts 62.0 ( ~~~ )
  • Nick Williams 72.4 ( ~~~ )
  • Marvin Hall 68.4 ( ↓ 1.8 )

TE

• Austin Hooper 69.4 ( ↓ 6.0 )
  • Levine Toilolo 68.3 ( ↑ 20.8 ) 
  • Eric Saubert 55.8 ( ↑ 1.4 )

OT

• Jake Matthews 79.7 ( ↑ 0.7 )
  • Ryan Schraeder 77.9 ( ↑ 5.7 )
  • Ty Sambrailo 42.9 ( ↑ 1.2 )

OG

• Andy Levitre 78.6 ( ↓ 1.0 )
  • Wes Schweitzer 47.0 ( ↑ 4.3 )
  • Ben Garland 75.2 ( ↑ 3.7 )

C

• Alex Mack 92.0 ( ↑ 4.0 )

DI

• Grady Jarrett 86.7 ( ↑ 1.6 )
  • Dontari Poe 81.4 ( ↑ 1.1 )
  • Courtney Upshaw 72.8 ( ↑ 0.2 )
  • Ahtyba Rubin 69.7 ( ↑ 14.3 )
  • Jack Crawford 59.7 ( ~~~ )

ED

• Vic Beasley 65.2 ( ↑ 12.4 )
  • Adrian Clayborn 87.5 ( ↓ 1.1 )
  • Brooks Reed 81.8 ( ↑ 1.3 )
  • Takkarist McKinley 78.7 ( ↓ 0.2 )
  • Derrick Shelby 78.6 ( ↑ 0.4 )

LB

• Deion Jones 87.0 ( ↑ 5.0 )
  • De'Vondre Campbell 79.4 ( ↓ 1.1 )
  • Duke Riley 42.0 ( ↓ 2.3 )
  • LaRoy Reynolds 56.3 ( ↓ 14.2 )
  • Kemal Ishmael 49.4 ( ↓ 7.7 )
  • Sean Weatherspoon 47.5 ( ~~~ )

CB

• Desmond Trufant 88.3 ( ~~~ )
  • Robert Alford 75.3 ( ↑ 1.3 )
  • Brian Poole 76.0 ( ↓ 1.0 )
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson 74.2 ( ~~~ )
  • C.J. Goodwin 39.6  (cut)

S

• Keanu Neal 85.2 ( ↓ 2.7 )
  • Ricardo Allen 75.9 ( ↑ 1.5 )
  • Damontae Kazee 73.3 ( ↓ 0.5 )
  • Sharrod Neasman 50.4 ( ~~~ )

Biggest improvements since last post:

• Levine Toilolo ( ↑ 20.8 )
  • Ahtyba Rubin ( ↑ 14.3 )
  • Vic Beasley ( ↑ 12.4 )
  • Terron Ward ( ↑ 9.4 )
  • Ryan Schraeder ( ↑ 5.7 )

Worst regressions since last post:

• LaRoy Reynolds ( ↓ 14.2 )
  • Kemal Ishmael 49.4 ( ↓ 7.7 )
  • Austin Hooper 69.4 ( ↓ 6.0 )
  • Devonta Freeman 86.0 ( ↓ 4.2 )
  • Keanu Neal 85.2 ( ↓ 2.7 )

Overall offense grade change: ↑ 36.3
Overall defense grade change: ↑ 8.3

Overall team grade change: ↑ 44.6

It's not far off.

Biggest needs on offense would be RG, TE, decent FB (not a huge need, but a noticeable problem) and a good speed receiver on offense.

On defense, it would be 3rd DT and 3rd LB.

Those both sort of pass the eyeball test as the spots that need upgrading.

Obviously a playmaker anywhere could take precedence (Playmaking FS may take lead over 3rd LB even if 3rd LB is bigger weakness).

• 2 weeks later...

As of right now. I have needs at

1. DT / NT - With Poe leaving, and I'm sure we won't pay 10+ mil a year outside of Grady, and only Shelby and Upshaw as Dt's left. I think the #1 need in Atlanta is a Run stuffing DT that has speed and can rush the passer and give Grady a 1v1. Vita Vea is my go to DT IMO. Some may say we could go with the Bama or FL kids though.

2. OG  Andy and the RG situation look pretty grim. If the Falcons feel the DT position in the 2018 draft is better in the later rounds ( which I can see it is kinda top heavy ) then they need to grab one of the next best / SARF ( System adjusted Round Fit )  OG's to fill the gap. 

3. LB  - Name our LB core.... Now tell me we have depth. I dare you. The Falcons don't have a SAM atm and Duke will need at least one more year to develop into a rotational guy. Vic needs to go back to DE with Clayborne on the move too.

4. CB - After looking at the draft and then looking into the FA we could get a cheap CB to fill in and grab a later round young buck to help with rotation.

5. FB - Atlanta and the RB's miss Patrick Dimarco. Finding a real FB is a must this year. Sorry Coleman.....

6. OT - Jake Matthews is ok, and I feel we will not pay him for being just ok. Look for the Falcons to grab a LT in this draft or next to be the guy going forward. 

7. TE - Hooper needs time. Toilolo is not a #1 TE. Eric Saubert is kinda a drop robot. So IMO we head into the draft looking for a guy who can push or take the #1 spot

8. WR - I can see the Falcons looking in FA for a WR this year. Sammy Watkins is the man I'm looking at. Going to command a medium sized deal and will do the same or better than Gabe. Bigger guy and screens will not be a waste with him.

9. RB - Depending on how we treat this.... I could see us trading TC and moving on to a guy like Ronald Jones II. Grab two picks or a 2nd for TC and move to the younger guy.

10. QB - It is a matter of time before the lights turn out for MR. I would look for a guy this year to groom behind Ryan and in 3 to 4 years give the car keys to the drafted kid.

BUILD SMART AND DRAFT ON!

15 hours ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

As of right now. I have needs at

1. DT / NT - With Poe leaving, and I'm sure we won't pay 10+ mil a year outside of Grady, and only Shelby and Upshaw as Dt's left. I think the #1 need in Atlanta is a Run stuffing DT that has speed and can rush the passer and give Grady a 1v1. Vita Vea is my go to DT IMO. Some may say we could go with the Bama or FL kids though. I'll bet money right now that Poe re-signs with us for somewhere around $8-10M per year average. But if not, then DT becomes our top priority by a mile. We don't need another fat body run-stuffer. In today's nickel heavy NFL, we need a pass rusher that can also hold up vs the run. Then we can take a less valuable big body in the middle to later rounds if needed for depth, which we probably need to do anyway even if we keep Poe.

2. OG  Andy and the RG situation look pretty grim. If the Falcons feel the DT position in the 2018 draft is better in the later rounds ( which I can see it is kinda top heavy ) then they need to grab one of the next best / SARF ( System adjusted Round Fit )  OG's to fill the gap. It all depends on how the staff views the development of Scheitzer and Harlow. But I can guarantee you we wont draft an OG in the 1st round, smart teams seldom do because the value isn't there for the position.

3. LB  - Name our LB core.... Now tell me we have depth. I dare you. The Falcons don't have a SAM atm and Duke will need at least one more year to develop into a rotational guy. Vic needs to go back to DE with Clayborne on the move too. Core is something at the center of an apple, or the Earth. Corps (which sounds exactly the same) is a group of people like the Marine Corps or a group of linebackers. Sorry, a pet peeve; nit-picked, moving on. Ishmael and Reynolds aren't great, obviously. If they were we wouldn't have had to use Beasley so much at SAM this year. Another LB should definitely be on the draft agenda, preferably one that can backup at both SAM and the two ILB spots. Roquan Smith is a pipe-dream because he'll probably be long gone by our pick, but if not...whew. 

4. CB - After looking at the draft and then looking into the FA we could get a cheap CB to fill in and grab a later round young buck to help with rotation. Definitely need a young, cheap CB for depth and to push Poole/Kazee for nickel duties. We are set up top with Tru and Alford, and with their price tags we have to go the young cheap route for depth for the next few years. But the lack of quality depth was obviously a little exposed this year after some injuries.

5. FB - Atlanta and the RB's miss Patrick Dimarco. Finding a real FB is a must this year. Sorry Coleman..... Meh. A player we will use less than 20% of the game isn't a big priority. Coleman definitely sucks at it though.

6. OT - Jake Matthews is ok, and I feel we will not pay him for being just ok. Look for the Falcons to grab a LT in this draft or next to be the guy going forward. Exactly the opposite. Look for Jake to sign a lucrative contract this offseason that makes him a top 5-7 highest paid OT. He's a middle of the pack LT, which isn't exactly easy to come by in this day and age of terrible OL development.

7. TE - Hooper needs time. Toilolo is not a #1 TE. Eric Saubert is kinda a drop robot. So IMO we head into the draft looking for a guy who can push or take the #1 spot  The #1 TE is a very upgradeable spot; just not sure how high of a priority it will be relative to other needs. We were supposedly targeting Evan Engram last year, so I wouldn't be surprised with an early selection this year.

8. WR - I can see the Falcons looking in FA for a WR this year. Sammy Watkins is the man I'm looking at. Going to command a medium sized deal and will do the same or better than Gabe. Bigger guy and screens will not be a waste with him.  Sammy Watkins is a starter, zero chance he comes to be a 3rd WR. Gabriel will move on, but Hardy will be fine as the #3. Depth behind those 3 is what we need to address, and we will need to add a speed WR with the loss of Gabriel.

9. RB - Depending on how we treat this.... I could see us trading TC and moving on to a guy like Ronald Jones II. Grab two picks or a 2nd for TC and move to the younger guy. The RB depth is this draft is going to be bonkers. I will be very very upset if we make it past the 3rd round without taking one of them because teams are going to be getting 1st round or high 2nd round value all the way through the middle of the 4th round at least. Highly doubt we trade Coleman though, unless Shanahan comes calling with a tempting offer, which he probably wont. TC will play out his final year, improving our depth with hopefully a draft pick, and then be a free agent in 2019.

10. QB - It is a matter of time before the lights turn out for MR. I would look for a guy this year to groom behind Ryan and in 3 to 4 years give the car keys to the drafted kid. No objections here. We need to get a young developmental guy in the wings not only in case Ryan takes an unexpected nose-dive off the age cliff, but also to replace, upgrade, and cheapen Schaub.

BUILD SMART AND DRAFT ON!

Edited by RandomFan

END SEASON GRADES (change from 12/21)

QB

• Matt Ryan 89.8 ( ↑ 1.8 )

RB

• Devonta Freeman 83.6 ( ↓ 2.4 )
  • Tevin Coleman 74.8 ( ↓ 2.0 )
  • Terron Ward 71.6 ( ~~~ )

FB

• Derrick Coleman 31.4 ( ↓ 0.4 )

WR

• Julio Jones 91.6 ( ↑ 0.9 )
  • Mohamed Sanu 80.2 ( ↓ 1.6 )
  • Taylor Gabriel 69.1 ( ↓ 2.5 )
  • Justin Hardy 52.7 ( ↑ 2.0 )
  • Andre Roberts 60.4 ( ↓ 1.6 )
  • Nick Williams 72.4 ( ~~~ )
  • Marvin Hall 57.7 ( ↓ 9.3 )

TE

• Austin Hooper 66.3 ( ↓ 3.1 )
  • Levine Toilolo 64.9 ( ↓ 3.4 ) 
  • Eric Saubert 56.2 ( ↑ 0.4 )

OT

• Jake Matthews 80.3 ( ↑ 0.6 )
  • Ryan Schraeder 79.2 ( ↑ 1.5 )
  • Ty Sambrailo 45.7 ( ↑ 2.8 )

OG

• Andy Levitre 78.0 ( ↓ 0.6 )
  • Wes Schweitzer 47.1 ( ↑ 0.1 )
  • Ben Garland 73.1 ( ↑ 2.1 )

C

• Alex Mack 88.4 ( ↓ 3.6 )

DI

• Grady Jarrett 87.7 ( ↑ 1.0 )
  • Dontari Poe 82.1 ( ↑ 0.7 )
  • Courtney Upshaw 72.6 ( ↓ 0.2 )
  • Ahtyba Rubin 67.8 ( ↓ 1.9 )
  • Jack Crawford 59.7 ( ~~~ )

ED

• Vic Beasley 57.5 ( ↓ 7.7 )
  • Adrian Clayborn 86.7 ( ↓ 0.8 )
  • Brooks Reed 82.8 ( ↑ 1.0 )
  • Takkarist McKinley 77.3 ( ↓ 1.4 )
  • Derrick Shelby 77.8 ( ↓ 0.8 )

LB

• Deion Jones 89.6 ( ↑ 2.6 )
  • De'Vondre Campbell 78.9 ( ↓ 0.5 )
  • Duke Riley 47.0 ( ↑ 5.0 )
  • LaRoy Reynolds 56.3 ( ~~~ )
  • Kemal Ishmael 50.3 ( ↑ 0.9 )
  • Sean Weatherspoon 47.5 ( ~~~ )

CB

• Desmond Trufant 86.6 ( ↓ 1.7 )
  • Robert Alford 81.1 ( ↑ 5.8 )
  • Brian Poole 72.2 ( ↓ 3.8 )
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson 73.9 ( ↓ 0.3 )

S

• Keanu Neal 88.7 ( ↑ 3.5 )
  • Ricardo Allen 79.4 ( ↑ 3.5 )
  • Damontae Kazee 73.3 ( ~~~ )
  • Sharrod Neasman 50.4 ( ~~~ )

Biggest improvements since last post:

• Robert Alford ( ↑ 5.8 )
  • Duke Riley ( ↑ 5.0 )
  • Keanu Neal ( ↑ 3.5 )
  • Ricardo Allen ( ↑ 3.5 )
  • Ty Sambrailo ( ↑ 2.8 )

Worst regressions since last post:

• Marvin Hall ( ↓ 9.3 )
  • Vic Beasley ( ↓ 7.7 )
  • Brian Poole ( ↓ 3.8 )
  • Alex Mack ( ↓ 3.6 )
  • Levine Toilolo ( ↓ 3.4 ) 

Overall offense grade change since last post: ↓ 18.7
Overall defense grade change since last post: ↑ 4.9

Overall team grade change: ↓ 13.8

Overall offense grade change since first post: ↑ 17.6
Overall defense grade change since first post: ↑ 13.2

Overall team grade change since first post: ↑ 30.8

By this metric and our eye balls, Wes S has to be replaced.  

Forget about developing him any further, we are wasting the prime years for Ryan, Mack, Jones and Freeman.  

Find an upgrade at OG.  Perhaps move Garland to RG and find a star-quality LG.  Whatever it takes, but do it this off season.