Jump to content

Can everyone just think rationally for a minute?


Recommended Posts

Seriously.

Before this game, the vast majority of people on these boards thought we were rounding into playoff shape. Even saw a few "SuperBowl contender" posts, and many more about how we'd likely win out and win the division, or ones where people said the Vikings were the only loss we had left.

Fast forward to losing a game by 5 (the consensus "hardest game left"), to the 2nd seed in the NFC (possibly #1 depending on the Eagles, they're likely both 10-2 after tonight) where awful execution and penalties were the name of the game, along with one of the worst games Ryan has had this year so far. Suddenly, we're trash, tons of people think we're 8-8 at best, and naturally - how could I forget? - fire EVERYONE. Start over. Etc.

I've been of the mind that we're a 10-6 team that'll make the playoffs as a Wild Card - esp since we have tiebreakers over every other Wild Card team besides Carolina - and as of now, we still do control our destiny completely. This is a team that has only been outright clobbered by the Patriots this year. They haven't played anywhere near what they're capable of - and, granted, I don't think it's a guarantee they will this year, considering how consistent some of the sloppy mistakes have been. But, looking at the defense and offense when they've been on this year, writing them off is pretty lazy.

And if you want, to, alright - but can you at least be consistent about it instead of flinging yourself from extreme to extreme week by week?

That's my spiel. I don't know. Special Teams is a mess, Ryan has been off, and we could certainly stand to upgrade in a few spots. Quinn needs to work on in-game decisions more for sure, that's his biggest issue. But there's no way I'd write this team off until they're mathematically out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Seriously.

Before this game, the vast majority of people on these boards thought we were rounding into playoff shape. Even saw a few "SuperBowl contender" posts, and many more about how we'd likely win out and win the division, or ones where people said the Vikings were the only loss we had left.

Fast forward to losing a game by 5 (the consensus "hardest game left"), to the 2nd seed in the NFC (possibly #1 depending on the Eagles, they're likely both 10-2 after tonight) where awful execution and penalties were the name of the game, along with one of the worst games Ryan has had this year so far. Suddenly, we're trash, tons of people think we're 8-8 at best, and naturally - how could I forget? - fire EVERYONE. Start over. Etc.

I've been of the mind that we're a 10-6 team that'll make the playoffs as a Wild Card - esp since we have tiebreakers over every other Wild Card team besides Carolina - and as of now, we still do control our destiny completely. This is a team that has only been outright clobbered by the Patriots this year. They haven't played anywhere near what they're capable of - and, granted, I don't think it's a guarantee they will this year, considering how consistent some of the sloppy mistakes have been. But, looking at the defense and offense when they've been on this year, writing them off is pretty lazy.

And if you want, to, alright - but can you at least be consistent about it instead of flinging yourself from extreme to extreme week by week?

That's my spiel. I don't know. Special Teams is a mess, Ryan has been off, and we could certainly stand to upgrade in a few spots. Quinn needs to work on in-game decisions more for sure, that's his biggest issue. But there's no way I'd write this team off until they're mathematically out.

What ever consensus that was was an awful consensus since this was by no means our hardest game left.  We have two games against the Saints, which are 9-3 and had won 8 in a row, and one game against Carolina which currently holds the tie breaker against us and is 8-4.  The only quote un quote easy game we have left is the Bucs.  Not saying we can't win all four games, but somebody should give their opinion on how we are going to penetrate the Panthers defense, how are we going to stop the Saints running game, since we generally have trouble stopping the run and nobody has constantly stopped theirs.  Again I get that everyone is optimistic, but other than just being optimistic, how are these games winnable to get us to 10-6 or 11-5. 

Edited by zzfrow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, zzfrow said:

What ever consensus that was was an awful consensus since this was by no means our hardest game left.  We have two games against the Saints, which are 9-3 and had won 8 in a row, and one game against Carolina which currently holds the tie breaker against us and is 8-4.  The only quote un quote easy game we have left is the Bucs.  Not saying we can't win all four games, but somebody should give their opinion on how we are going to penetrate the Panthers defense, how are we going to stop the Saints running game, since we generally have trouble stopping the run and nobody has constantly stopped theirs.  Again I get that everyone is optimistic, but other than just being optimistic, how are these games winnable to get us to 10-6 or 11-5. 

Uh. It was the consensus hardest game because the Vikings are 10-2 now, the #1 seed in the NFC, clobbered the Saints and Rams (two other "hot" teams) and will likely destroy the Panthers now too? Heck, we gave them a better fight than the Saints or Rams.

I'm just going by what I saw in threads. Everyone was saying this was going to be the hardest game the rest of the way.

This isn't saying the Saints or Panthers are going to be easy, they'll definitely be tough games. But this was the toughest left. No contest. Vikes are the class of the NFC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will take 3-1 to make the playoffs and there's no way ATL is going 3-1 if they don't beat the Saints at home this Thursday. 

So basically, the playoffs start Thursday. Home losses in which the Falcons Offense looks terrible should give even the biggest optimists some doubts about what the next four weeks can be.

Possible? Absolutely. Probable? Not based on anything that's happened so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Uh. It was the consensus hardest game because the Vikings are 10-2 now, the #1 seed in the NFC, clobbered the Saints and Rams (two other "hot" teams) and will likely destroy the Panthers now too? Heck, we gave them a better fight than the Saints or Rams.

I'm just going by what I saw in threads. Everyone was saying this was going to be the hardest game the rest of the way.

This isn't saying the Saints or Panthers are going to be easy, they'll definitely be tough games. But this was the toughest left. No contest. Vikes are the class of the NFC.

Ok fair enough.  Hopefully the game plan thursday against the Saints is to get Julio more targets on shorter crossing routs, like in the Packers game,  In fact the same could be said for Freeman.  Work Gabriel more into the offense as well, because he was hardly targeted again today.  Like it when we use both Coleman and Freeman in the passing game, even it it's deeper routes.  Starting to see more teams like the Saints doing that with their big threat Kamara, I can only hope some of these schemes make it into the game. 

Edited by zzfrow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, atlndvd said:

The Saints are going to destroy us with Kamara and Ingram.  The Vikings did today, as someone else mentioned, with significantly less talent at the RB spot

Guess we just have very different definitions of "destroy."

31 minutes ago, ICD said:

How can you possibly ask me to be rational when half the stadium is empty. Don’t even get me started on the train horn. 

Were you at the game? No? People are walking around having fun. That's what this is. A game.

31 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

It will take 3-1 to make the playoffs and there's no way ATL is going 3-1 if they don't beat the Saints at home this Thursday. 

So basically, the playoffs start Thursday. Home losses in which the Falcons Offense looks terrible should give even the biggest optimists some doubts about what the next four weeks can be.

Possible? Absolutely. Probable? Not based on anything that's happened so far.

28 minutes ago, AKFalcon72 said:

Bottom line, we lose Thursday and we are finished!

I do think this Thursday game is the crux. But I guarantee if we win the same posters crying doom and gloom will be "playoff bound, bucaroooooos!" again.

Just wish people would mellow out a little with the drama.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Guess we just have very different definitions of "destroy."

Were you at the game? No? Too expensive? Live somewhere else? There's your answer. Don't blame the fans if you aren't doing your part. People are walking around having fun. That's what this is. A game.

I do think this Thursday game is the crux. But I guarantee if we win the same posters crying doom and gloom will be "playoff bound, bucaroooooos!" again.

Just wish people would mellow out a little with the drama.

I think icd was being sarcastic....he is good people and a good fan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ICD said:

How can you possibly ask me to be rational when half the stadium is empty. Don’t even get me started on the train horn. 

 

9 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Were you at the game? No? Too expensive? Live somewhere else? There's your answer. Don't blame the fans if you aren't doing your part. People are walking around having fun. That's what this is. A game.

 

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.

But it sure would be nice to have in-game fan support like NO and Seattle, with all the seats full with Falcons fans getting loud and giving us a real home field advantage. DQ was begging fans to be in their seats practically earlier in the week.  But Arthur has built a country club, not a football stadium and all the corporates can't be bothered to actually watch the **** game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mr.Blank said:

 

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.

But it sure would be nice to have in-game fan support like NO and Seattle, with all the seats full with Falcons fans getting loud and giving us a real home field advantage. DQ was begging fans to be in their seats practically earlier in the week.  But Arthur has built a country club, not a football stadium and all the corporates can't be bothered to actually watch the **** game.

 

This. I don't blame fans for wanting to explore the stadium. It's a very cool venue. But it's also hurting our home field advantage when the stands are 1/3 to 1/2 empty. Hopefully after a year or two some of the novelty of the stadium will have worn off and people can get back to watching the game in their seats and getting loud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My problem with this team and the reason why I can't believe in them OR write them off is because they're either horrible or brilliant from week to week. There's no telling what version of the Falcons you're gonna get. I just take it one game at a time.

Bottom line, this team can beat anyone. Or lose to anyone. Its totally up to them, and that in essence is what makes it so hard to be a fan. Talent for days, sky is always the limit, but its always a coin toss with these guys. Tough stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well for this team it's pretty much time to hit the panic button in the sense that from here on out they need to play with a sense of urgency (which they always should really). There is ZERO margin for error. The Seahawks in December are VERY GOOD with Russell Wilson and I don't expect them to lose more than one game in the next 4 weeks, which means we CANNOT afford to lose any more games. It's do or die.

11-5 or bust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate that they blew those games to the Dolphins and Bills. If they want to win the superbowl this year, they have 8 must win games... which is obviously a lot of stress for me. :bang:

 

I'm not even mad that they lost to the Vikings, moreso just the way it set them back in the playoff race. Especially since Seattle won.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

They haven't played anywhere near what they're capable of - and, granted, I don't think it's a guarantee they will this year, considering how consistent some of the sloppy mistakes have been. But, looking at the defense and offense when they've been on this year, writing them off is pretty lazy.

I think more than anything you basically voiced what my main concern has been. It points to coaching. These weekly brain farts are not in decline heading into our 13th game of the season. Would be nice of both sides of the ball could have a solid game Thursday, but that's been a rarity. We are as talented as the Saints are, but the question is will that show on the field? History says it will at times, but not consistently. Realisitically we gotta get 3 out of the last 4, would be hilarious if the 1 we dropped was to the Sucs it would just be SO fitting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

to be clear, at no point was I ready to say the 2017 falcons were super bowl contenders. This is not anywhere close to as good as the team we fielded during the second half (and playoffs) of the 2016 season. Last year I felt like we could beat any team in the league and probably trounce a good majority of them. This year there are legitimately teams that I just can't envision us beating. We could probably beat the Vikings on a good day, but the Eagles, a healthy Cowboys (namely Sean Lee and Tyron Smith both healthy), and the Saints, which...kill me please. There are flaws all over this team and so many players underperforming it's really sad. I hate to be the "always next year" guy, but seriously, there's just something off about the team this year...maybe next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...