All things considered our defense showed out today

Hats off to the defenses of both teams really, we held their offense to two scores all day with a banged up secondary (where some people on the board were worried they would hang 30 on us). Thielen and Diggs were held in check most of the game and Rudolph really only hurt us on the touchdown which was good play design. 

Offensively we had four drives result in scoring opportunity in spite of numerous dropped passes and untimely penalties. We needed to be able to turn any of them into 7 instead of 3, and it just didn’t work out today.  That was a good team, and I hope we get a chance to play them again in January as I thought it was a highly competitive game. 

I see a lot of threads popping up like they always do after a loss with fans flying off the handle. That was a playoff atmosphere and at some point you have to give credit to the other team for showing up defensively. We definitely didn’t play our best and I would love nothing more than to get another shot at them a month from now 

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Considering how the refs refused to call holding on their oline......some idiots will down play it but that was a huge factor.....the refs single handily kept that long drive going by not calling obvious holding calls

I agree the officiating was pretty horrid. I also saw a number of replays where our receivers were getting held/hit 10-15 yards downfield with no penalty. I don’t think they cost us the game though and it really came down to execution on offense. I thought Sark called a good game but we just didn’t execute from their 30 and in

The defense held a top 5 scoring offense to 14 points (17-21 if you wanna say they could've scored at the end) without two of their three best corners.

They did enough to win and our offense that is a year removed from being historically great put up 9 points. If people blame the defense, they are just being unrealistic.

5 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

All things considered this defense has shown that it CANNOT get turnovers, and apparently cant cause incompletions...

25/30 2 tds by an opposing qb  is not “showing out” 

How many of those passes were checkdowns? I don’t remember seeing a throw completed more than 10 yards downfield all game outside of their 2 minute offense before the half. It’s easy to look at numbers and not see how they are inflated. How many times did you hear the announcer talk about us holding our coverage forever and forcing a check down to a back?

I agree 100% on your comment about turnovers they have been sorely lacking this season. 

Edited by Upstate NY Falcon

1 minute ago, HMFIC said:

It seems that almost every team we play has RBs and WRS that wiggle and suirm to get extra yards after contact. Except for Freeman, our guys don't do that, they get very few yards after contact. How many times today did Vikes get extra yards after contact ?  They did it all day. 

That’s what you get when you have a young fast and undersized defense. Our entire defensive philosophy is to allow for short completions/runs and rely on our athletes to make the play (aka tackle). Sometimes the execution is lacking and you see those extra yardage’s. 

I don’t think it’s fair to not include Julio/Sanu/Hooper/Coleman/Ward though, during the course of the season all of them have shown pretty consistently an ability to make the first guy miss/break a tackle. It just didn’t happen enough today 

19 minutes ago, Upstate NY Falcon said:

I see a lot of threads popping up like they always do after a loss with fans flying off the handle. That was a playoff atmosphere and at some point you have to give credit to the other team for showing up defensively. We definitely didn’t play our best and I would love nothing more than to get another shot at them a month from now 

I wouldn't. On the road, and still having scoring issues against a Zimmer coached D (for discipline!).

It was an admirable effort. But it showed they are not a shut down unit and live and die by turnovers. Until we can consistently stop the run, teams will be able to keep our offense on the bench and put them in high pressure situations. 

Yes they held the Vikes to 14. That's a winnable game. But they need to figure out how to stop the run and stop dropping Vic into coverage. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

It was an admirable effort. But it showed they are not a shut down unit and live and die by turnovers. Until we can consistently stop the run, teams will be able to keep our offense on the bench and put them in high pressure situations. 

Yes they held the Vikes to 14. That's a winnable game. But they need to figure out how to stop the run and stop dropping Vic into coverage. 

I think the reason they have Vic in that position is because of the lack of production they’ve gotten from Duke Riley, and with Spoon out again with injury. I agree they would be much better off keeping Vic coming off the edge, but who else can they put at Will? Would you rather put Riley back out there?

1 minute ago, Upstate NY Falcon said:

I think the reason they have Vic in that position is because of the lack of production they’ve gotten from Duke Riley, and with Spoon out again with injury. I agree they would be much better off keeping Vic coming off the edge, but who else can they put at Will? Would you rather put Riley back out there?

Ish. Reynolds. An actual LB would be better than a DE. 

6 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

I wouldn't. On the road, and still having scoring issues against a Zimmer coached D (for discipline!).

I think Quinn and the team will look at this film and see the missed opportunities and know they had the game if they executed better. I’m sure they would be chomping at the bit to take another shot at them.

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best, don’t shy away from any opponent. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Having he refs call holding would go a long way with that....... The vikes online got away with complete murder today.

That 30 yard run had 3 missed blatant penalties that should have brought it back

23 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

It's not how many yards they had, it was them consistently putting our D in 2nd and short.  That's a formula for losing. 

Giving up a lot of points is a formula for losing. 14 points by the Vikings. 9 points by the falcons. One would think fans would be happy only giving up 14 points yet we’re talking about the run D?? I understand looking for excuses and somebody to blame but the defense was HARDLY to blame today. As like they haven’t the whole season. We win this game with some scores of the games we LOST this year. 15 points wins this game for us.  

9 minutes ago, Upstate NY Falcon said:

Spoon is not injured

27 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

It's not how many yards they had, it was them consistently putting our D in 2nd and short.  That's a formula for losing. 

correct they looked better this week but still leak too many yds in the run game, they smalled balled us to death with 31 runs and a whole lot of short passes and great screens. something we cant defend or run ourselves 

11 minutes ago, vel said:

And the offense has to figure out how to stop shooting themselves in the foot. You know as well as I you can’t afford to make as many mistakes against a team like the vikes as opposed to Tampa it even Seattle. Same type mistakes came back to haunt us in the SB

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Giving up a lot of points is a formula for losing. 14 points by the Vikings. 9 points by the falcons. One would think fans would be happy only giving up 14 points yet we’re talking about the run D?? I understand looking for excuses and somebody to blame but the defense was HARDLY to blame today. As like they haven’t the whole season. We win this game with some scores of the games we LOST this year. 15 points wins this game for us.  

As someone who has been critical of the defense all season, this isn't the game. They did the best they could. Run D is still subpar, but if the offense finishes FGs with TDs instead and it's a 21-14 game. They knew they could beat the Vikes D. You could tell. They just didn't win the execution battle. 

I will give you a jab though. Falcons defense got a three and out after the offense went three and out after that 15 play drive. That was impressive and what I've wanted to see. It didn't matter they were just on the field for 8 minutes and the offense gave them three plays rest, they went and played their game on that series. If they can do that more often, they'll be vicious. 

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

agree and disagree defense did play well but we are still leaking too man yds especially in the screen game how many blown coverages did vic account for in the first half with guys be left wide open. I put that on the staff, vic should have his hand in the dirt and not be in coverage so much. we might have whiffed on duke riley, he is still a rookie, but do we really need a competent third lb, I was hoping ish would be it but no, and has renyolds gotten any meaningful snaps on defense

31 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

All things considered this defense has shown that it CANNOT get turnovers, and apparently cant cause incompletions...

25/30 2 tds by an opposing qb  is not “showing out” 

This. Poor open field tackling and easy middle of the field completions show we are not playoff ready

2 minutes ago, vel said:

As someone who has been critical of the defense all season, this isn't the game. They did the best they could. Run D is still subpar, but if the offense finishes FGs with TDs instead and it's a 21-14 game. They knew they could beat the Vikes D. You could tell. They just didn't win the execution battle. 

I will give you a jab though. Falcons defense got a three and out after the offense went three and out after that 15 play drive. That was impressive and what I've wanted to see. It didn't matter they were just on the field for 8 minutes and the offense gave them three plays rest, they went and played their game on that series. If they can do that more often, they'll be vicious. 

I feel you. I agree. at the same time the offense has to be ready for these type of games. The way to beat us is keeping the offense on the sidelines. We’re built like the Seahawks. A get the lead and go after you team. Give up nothing deep. You could run on the Seahawks too. Matt is a rhythm qb so it does affect him. He has to start improvising more on these type games. Like when he chose to throw to free instead of run for the first. Little bad decisions like that hurt against teams like the vikes. I know that’s not Matt’s game but when he DOES start improvising he kills defenses. 

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I feel you. I agree. at the same time the offense has to be ready for these type of games. The way to beat us is keeping the offense on the sidelines. We’re built like the Seahawks. A get the lead and go after you team. Give up nothing deep. You could run on the Seahawks too. Matt is a rhythm qb so it does affect him. He has to start improvising more on these type games. Like when he chose to throw to free instead of run for the first. Little bad decisions like that hurt against teams like the vikes. I know that’s not Matt’s game but when he DOES start improvising he kills defenses. 

Yea. It was just one of those games. I have no problem with it. That Vikes defense is legit. Offense was going to have some tough sledding. We weren't the better team today. Still had a chance to win. Eh...