Any one else believe the offense ran better w/o Freeman?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DrunkOffFalcohol said:

I firmly believe the loss of Freeman caused Sark to simplify his play calling, or at least made him dumb it down. Adding freeman back might cause an inbalance in snaps and playcalling. I love Free but for Sark's sake I hope the momentum continues. 

you cant say that here. People will take offense.

The Falcons offense isn't better without one of the most versatile backs in football.

It just didn't seem like so because Sark has been trying to find his footing in the NFL schematically and as a playcaller before Freeman got hurt.

He is starting to find his groove and feel in the NFL. Freeman may benefit greatly from that as he returns.

49 minutes ago, DrunkOffFalcohol said:

I firmly believe the loss of Freeman caused Sark to simplify his play calling, or at least made him dumb it down. Adding freeman back might cause an inbalance in snaps and playcalling. I love Free but for Sark's sake I hope the momentum continues. 

How do you mean simplify? I think it caused him to get more creative, not try so **** hard to establish the run early and then abandon it in short yardage when it wasn't really working (which was silly, because picking up a yard wasn't the problem, it was being too predictable early).

It forced him to find different threats to establish, so yes it was a blessing, but unless he just simply forgot about what was working the last few weeks as he gained better control of this offense (which seems very unlikely, no matter how you feel about Sark), then clearly adding the Freeman wrinkle should only be a positive.

Edited by B3TD

I'd actually rather like to see Free in Ward's role this week than have it go back to the way it was before.  Teco seemed to have a pretty good grasp of making something happen early on, and Free's skillset and body type would make those Ward runs something to behold.  Plus, I'm hoping to see the return of the Coleman wheel route against the Vikings LB's this week to keep them off balance, which would mean that many more snaps for Tevin...

I absolutely agree but this is more about Sark than Freeman. When Freeman was in, Sark would start most series with a Freeman run up the middle on first down. Far too often, this resulted in little or no gain which put us in a hole for the series. We would then be faced with 3rd and long and had to punt far too often. When Free went out, Sark had no choice but to either start running Coleman on the edge or open up the playbook on all downs. It's been working great. I love having Free back but my fear is that Sark reverts to relentlessly trying to run Free up the middle on first down. If so, our results will suffer.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but two things I noticed with the play calling when Freeman was out was it felt like there were more wide,stretch runs, and play-action boot legs. 

We had a lot of success with these two types of plays last year, and didn't seem to run them as often this year until the last few games.  Did we run them more because Freeman was out, or is it just coincidental to Sarkisian getting more comfortable calling plays, or am I imagining things?

It’s the same way people thought the defense improved when Trufant went out last year, but really the play calling just got better because Dan Quinn took over.  Sark is still learning this offense.  You are just seeing the evolution of his learning curve.  This offense is so much better with Freeman in the lineup.  

Steve Sarkisian has not changed his play calling. The only thing that has changed is the execution of the players. This nonsense that he's changed his play calling needs to stop. God I hate how stupid this fan base is! This is the reason I hardly ever post here anymore. It's just dumb **** constantly over and over and over again.

30 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Steve Sarkisian has not changed his play calling. The only thing that has changed is the execution of the players. This nonsense that he's changed his play calling needs to stop. God I hate how stupid this fan base is! This is the reason I hardly ever post here anymore. It's just dumb **** constantly over and over and over again.

Throughout my first couple of months on this site you're my favorite poster on here. Very intelligent with your posts dude and bring up the best points that hardly anybody else on here will bring up. 

4 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

We didn’t even have a run threat with Teco against Seattle, Sark just stuck with it to make playaction still be effective. It’s Sark finding his way as opposed to the players being different.

Wasn’t the oline getting bullied a lot in that game 

11 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Throughout my first couple of months on this site you're my favorite poster on here. Very intelligent with your posts dude and bring up the best points that hardly anybody else on here will bring up. 

That’s because a good majority of the people here only see things one way and one way only. You can’t critique anything without being call negative Nancy or troll. Seems anytime I disagree with someone I get told to get off of my high horse. I would love to see said high horse. It’s really hard to have a serious conversation most times on this site because of the fans who think they’re better because they say nothing bad about anything