Freeman Back with no Limitations

caponine

Devonta Freeman will return to a full workload against the Vikings

The Atlanta Falcons certainly missed Devonta Freeman, though you wouldn’t know it from the results on the field. Tevin Coleman was predictably good as a fill-in, and the Falcons won the Dallas game Freeman exited, plus their next two.

What the Falcons missed was Freeman’s physicality, balance, and general excellence, which manifests itself in so many big carries, timely receptions, and big-time blocks in the passing game. Freeman is just one of the best backs in the NFL, and having him and Tevin Coleman on the field give Atlanta a puncher’s chance of running against one of the league’s best rushing defenses.

I’m always wary of players coming back after multiple concussions in a single year, but hopefully Free is truly ready to go. It is true that Freeman has a couple of weeks of rest he’s not accustomed to, and that there was never really any doubt that he’d take over as Atlanta’s 1A option when he returned. There just aren’t many backs who are more well-rounded, and Atlanta hasn’t even done a tremendous job of getting Free involved in the passing game yet in 2017.

I’d expect Freeman to get 10-15 carries and Coleman to pick up 5-10, assuming the Falcons can find any purchase at all against this Vikings defense. Free hasn’t had a ton of luck running against superior fronts like the Jets and Bills this year—I swear the Bills had a good run defense, once—but may this be the exception.

Look i get that Freeman is the premeire back , he is the best rb on the team no doubt but Coleman has earned more touches than what he has been getting when Devonta Freeman was the #1. I hope Quinn and Sark do not eliminate coleman from gameplans. 

Edited by caponine

I'm curious to see how this plays out not only because of Free coming back from injury, but because he has never really played against the Vikes/they have never faced him. He didn't play in the game against them in 2015 & while he did play in the game during the 2014 season, he was behind S. Jackson & A. Smith on the depth chart. Thus he only had 2 carries for 8 yards & 2 receptions for 12 yards.

Obviously there's plenty of film on him now, but I'd imagine actually having experience playing against a guy is extremely beneficial to a defense. Hopefully their lack of familiarity gives us a bit of an advantage that can be exploited.

Here's an interesting tidbit...

Tevin Coleman has just one 100 yard rushing game in his career thus far. Guess who it was against? That's right, the Vikings... with nearly the same players starting on D that they have currently. He played in the 2015 game which Free missed. Coleman had 18 carries for 110 yards.

2 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I think we should rest him til Thursday

why is quinn in such a hurry to throw him back in so fast ?? Ease him back in, let him get about 10 touches against Minnesota, if he exceeds then give him more but you need to be cautious with this.

3 hours ago, caponine said:

Devonta Freeman will return to a full workload against the Vikings

The Atlanta Falcons certainly missed Devonta Freeman, though you wouldn’t know it from the results on the field. Tevin Coleman was predictably good as a fill-in, and the Falcons won the Dallas game Freeman exited, plus their next two.

What the Falcons missed was Freeman’s physicality, balance, and general excellence, which manifests itself in so many big carries, timely receptions, and big-time blocks in the passing game. Freeman is just one of the best backs in the NFL, and having him and Tevin Coleman on the field give Atlanta a puncher’s chance of running against one of the league’s best rushing defenses.

I’m always wary of players coming back after multiple concussions in a single year, but hopefully Free is truly ready to go. It is true that Freeman has a couple of weeks of rest he’s not accustomed to, and that there was never really any doubt that he’d take over as Atlanta’s 1A option when he returned. There just aren’t many backs who are more well-rounded, and Atlanta hasn’t even done a tremendous job of getting Free involved in the passing game yet in 2017.

I’d expect Freeman to get 10-15 carries and Coleman to pick up 5-10, assuming the Falcons can find any purchase at all against this Vikings defense. Free hasn’t had a ton of luck running against superior fronts like the Jets and Bills this year—I swear the Bills had a good run defense, once—but may this be the exception.

Look i get that Freeman is the premeire back , he is the best rb on the team no doubt but Coleman has earned more touches than what he has been getting when Devonta Freeman was the #1. I hope Quinn and Sark do not eliminate coleman from gameplans. 

Coleman will never be eliminated from game plans. That wouldn’t even make since. That’s like eliminating Kimara out of gameplays in NO. 

6 minutes ago, caponine said:

why is quinn in such a hurry to throw him back in so fast ?? Ease him back in, let him get about 10 touches against Minnesota, if he exceeds then give him more but you need to be cautious with this.

He’s been out 2 weeks. Which was what I expected. We need him for this game. The playbook opens up more with both of them. 

Just now, caponine said:

they did before freeman got injured though honestly. 

No they didn’t. They rode the hot hand like we’ve always done. We did it with Kyle and Sark has done it as well. What we DIDNT do was hit Cole out the backfield as much earlier. But at the same time we weren’t gelling on offense yet either so that was really the main issue. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

He’s been out 2 weeks. Which was what I expected. We need him for this game. The playbook opens up more with both of them. 

we do but we dont want to overload him as soon as he is back granted he probably has had time to heal up his other minor injuries as well.

Just now, caponine said:

we do but we dont want to overload him as soon as he is back granted he probably has had time to heal up his other minor injuries as well.

I don’t think he’ll be overloaded. They’re not babies bro. A concussion is serious but it’s not like coming back from a Hammy. You have to ease that. It only takes one carry to get knocked out so there’s no such thing as an “overload” coming back from concussion. Either you clear or you don’t. He’s cleared. Time to play. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

The falcons need a real balanced running attack if they truly want the success to continue. Running backs are slowly working their way back into being key members of each football team. Not just a passing league any more 

Truth. That’s why we need both. They knew we could handle the bucs so it was great to rest him for 2 weeks. 

51 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Coleman will never be eliminated from game plans. That wouldn’t even make since. That’s like eliminating Kimara out of gameplays in NO. 

I agree. We have an excellent Back in Coleman and we're winning with him. Doesn't make sense to me either. Teco should be rewarded for his great play lately and the fact that Free's coming out of concussion makes this a no-brainer. 

6 hours ago, caponine said:

Because this is a big game.

6 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t think he’ll be overloaded. They’re not babies bro. A concussion is serious but it’s not like coming back from a Hammy. You have to ease that. It only takes one carry to get knocked out so there’s no such thing as an “overload” coming back from concussion. Either you clear or you don’t. He’s cleared. Time to play. 

Yep.   If there was still an issue - he wouldn't be cleared.   Let the man be the man!

5 hours ago, caponine said:

@ya_boi_j u know whats surprising ?? Tevin Coleman could reach 1,000 yards rushing without even having a single 100 yard rushing game up until now. 

It'll be tough to do with Freeman back. He needs 93 per the next 5 games. If both backs were running like Ingram and kamara it would be done by week 16

10 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

It'll be tough to do with Freeman back. He needs 93 per the next 5 games. If both backs were running like Ingram and kamara it would be done by week 16

exactly but coleman doesnt get enough carries for that , freeman will probably take most of the carries now

33 minutes ago, caponine said:

exactly but coleman doesnt get enough carries for that , freeman will probably take most of the carries now

It’s not about carries in a duo backfield. It’s about touches. Whether run or pass. We need both of them touching the ball. The balance between Coleman and ward was the same as free and Coleman and ward still went off. If Cole gets hot they’ll ride him. If free gets hot they’ll rid him.