Who to root for?

trashmetalx

It's definitely coming down to the nitty-gritty in the 2017 NFL season.  Unfortunately, our Falcons have put themselves in the position where they have to rely on other outcomes to obtain a #1 seed.

Obviously the best case scenario is the Falcons win out while the Eagles, Rams, and Vikings lose out.  However, that's not very realistic.  So here are the teams you need to root for in week 13...

BUCCANEERS over Packers

This one is basically to get GB to 7 losses and put them way out of the picture.  No one wants Aaron Rodgers returning to run the table.

RAVENS over Lions

Handing the Lions their 6th loss makes it extremely difficult for them to make the playoffs.  10-6 might not get it done in the NFC this year.

EAGLES over Seahawks

It may seem counterintuitive to root for the top team but at this point it's highly unlikely the Falcons catch Philly.  With a Seahawks loss, it would guarantee a playoff spot for ATL with 11 wins.  Meaning we could still drop one more and get in.  

SAINTS over Panthers

Now, a tie here would probably be best but that's a rare bet.  The Falcons control their own destiny with both of these teams but I'd actually prefer to see the Saints in the playoffs than the Panthers.  CAR has a tough stretch with potential losses to NO, MIN, and ATL.  And once again 10-6 might not make it.

Last but not least...

FALCONS over Vikings

No explanation needed.

If we are just looking at WC picture. 

Seattle's schedule is brutal... I don't think they make the playoffs this year. 

The Lions schedule is very manageable.  I think they will make a WC or at least is contending until the very end.  

Carolina has a similar schedule to ours.  If saints win division, our week 16 match-up w/ Carolina could be huge.      

ATL needs to win against bucs, split with saints.  The vikings and panthers games are little room for error (thanks to the dolphins/bills games).  

I know the schedule for Seattle is brutal, but they are still really the only team that scares me in terms of knocking us out of the playoffs. While there is a lot of things to root for in terms of the division and potential seeding implications, these are the two games that mean the most to me now: Philly over Seattle, Baltimore over Detroit. 

No, I do not think the Lions are great, but they do have a weak schedule. I want them to go ahead and get a 6th loss this week on the road. 

A loss for Seattle, coupled with a W from the Falcons would provide some breathing room regarding a playoff spot. If they lose this week, I find it difficult to believe the Seahawks would run the table with: at Jacksonville, LA Rams, at Dallas, and Arizona remaining on the schedule. I think there is at least 1 loss there, but it may be hard to see 2 with the way Russell Wilson is playing.

10 minutes ago, athell said:

I think we are rooting for Carolina over NO due to tiebreakers.

Because of tiebreakers...i thought we would root for N.O....Carolina already has the tie breaker over us in head to head....So if we win Sunday and Carolina loses...it puts us and Carolina at a tie and N.O. a game up...but if we also beat N.O. on Thursday...we jump to 1st because of head to head with N.O. 

Been playing around with the Playoff Machine (http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine) and there are a LOT of scenarios where Falcons don't get in with 10 wins. 

I'm going to root for Carolina this weekend.  I would rather get into a tie-break situation with Seattle than Carolina based on common opponents. 

Either way, just win.

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Because of tiebreakers...i thought we would root for N.O....Carolina already has the tie breaker over us in head to head....So if we win Sunday and Carolina loses...it puts us and Carolina at a tie and N.O. a game up...but if we also beat N.O. on Thursday...we jump to 1st because of head to head with N.O. 

I read a tweet from Mike Conti saying to root for Carolina, but I'll be honest I really have no clue.  Maybe he is referring to them and common opponents?  Tie breakers are so weird.

I guess in your scenario, if Carolina loses we share the same record with them and they win head to head.  If Carolina wins, we share with New Orleans maybe we own the tiebreaker between then?

So confusing!

5 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

The Sunday/Thursday schedule this week is HUGE.  This time (Friday) next week the Falcon's playoff picture will be clearer regardless of what others do Sunday.  

Yep, win the next two and we are going to be sitting in a very good position down the home stretch with an 11-day mini-bye.

20 minutes ago, athell said:

I read a tweet from Mike Conti saying to root for Carolina, but I'll be honest I really have no clue.  Maybe he is referring to them and common opponents?  Tie breakers are so weird.

I guess in your scenario, if Carolina loses we share the same record with them and they win head to head.  If Carolina wins, we share with New Orleans maybe we own the tiebreaker between then?

So confusing!

It is super confusing.  Try the playoff machine. I went week to week and did many scenarios.  In more scenarios than not, it's Carolina beating us in a head to head tie-breaker and Seattle getting in if we all end up 10-6.   

The reason you root for Carolina is the fact that, outside of the head to head games we have with them, the Saints have an easier finishing schedule. Couple that with the fact that, being a game behind the Saints is less valuable at this point than Carolina because, even though we have 2 games left with the Saints, the likelihood we split those games is probably pretty great, making those matchups a wash, while we only have the home game against Carolina remaining. 

If Carolina wins, they will have split with NO. If they lose to us week 17, they split with us. The tiebreakers would then come down to how each team plays TB, and beyond that, the record in common games. 

If NO wins, it may make our path to a WC somewhat clearer, but also would require us to sweep the Saints head to head to win the division. So, if we win early Sunday, I will root for Carolina to tighten up the division. If we lose, I would prefer the Saints win, because just getting into the tournament is the most important cause. 

35 minutes ago, DCBird33 said:

The reason you root for Carolina is the fact that, outside of the head to head games we have with them, the Saints have an easier finishing schedule. Couple that with the fact that, being a game behind the Saints is less valuable at this point than Carolina because, even though we have 2 games left with the Saints, the likelihood we split those games is probably pretty great, making those matchups a wash, while we only have the home game against Carolina remaining. 

If Carolina wins, they will have split with NO. If they lose to us week 17, they split with us. The tiebreakers would then come down to how each team plays TB, and beyond that, the record in common games. 

If NO wins, it may make our path to a WC somewhat clearer, but also would require us to sweep the Saints head to head to win the division. So, if we win early Sunday, I will root for Carolina to tighten up the division. If we lose, I would prefer the Saints win, because just getting into the tournament is the most important cause. 

You've summed it up perfectly.  And a Ravens win over the Lions and an Eagles win over the Seahawks would be a huge help!

4 hours ago, athell said:

So confusing!

Very confusing.....oh well...

GO FALCONS