How many more years does Matt Ryan and Julio Jones have in the NFL?

Falcons Fan MVP

I think Matt Ryan and Julio Jones will probably both retire around the same time. Most likely as Falcon brothers with a ring or two. I think Matt Ryan has another 8-10 years left. 7 at bare mininum. QB's are playing into their early 40's now. I think Julio had got another 7-8 years left. Possibly 9. 

And I expect both to be in their prime for another 6 years barring injury. Both guys are tough son of a guns.

4 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think Matt Ryan and Julio Jones will probably both retire around the same time. Most likely as Falcon brothers with a ring or two. I think Matt Ryan has another 8-10 years left. 7 at bare mininum. QB's are playing into their early 40's now. I think Julio had got another 7-8 years left. Possibly 9. 

And I expect both to be in their prime for another 6 years barring injury. Both guys are tough son of a guns.

Doubt it for Julio.  But he should have another 3 years of absolute prime, then he’s gonna start losing a little speed and whatnot.  Unless Julio really wants to be a Fitz, Smith or Galloway I could see him retiring at like 33/34.  Ryan could deffinately play til he’s 40

8 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

QB's are playing into their early 40's now. I think Julio had got another 7-8 years left. Possibly 9. 

Matt Ryan is a tough sumbicth, tough as  nails too, but he has had the chit beat outta him too many times, and it will catch up to him in a few years.

pretty boy Tom has had decent protection with his O line and quick check downs

Manning was a General and simply had a great command of the field and like Pretty boy tom he protected himself.

Matt Ryan will hang up his  cleats at the end of the 2023 season.

Word is that Ryan will take another beating this Sunday.

2018 (the season Atlanta hosts the Super Bowl for Feb 2019) or 2020 (since it's 25 years from the 1995 Braves) will be our chances to get a ring with Matt Ryan and/or Julio Jones, especially with the level our defense will be by then. By 2021 or 2022 I believe Matt and Julio will be too old. 

Edited by mqg96

56 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

2018 (the season Atlanta hosts the Super Bowl for Feb 2019) or 2020 (since it's 25 years from the 1995 Braves) will be our chances to get a ring with Matt Ryan and/or Julio Jones, especially with the level our defense will be by then. By 2021 or 2022 I believe Matt and Julio will be too old. 

In 2020 - Ryan will be in his 13th season and will be 35. 

7 QB's have won a Super Bowl after their 13th season (14%).    8 QB's have won a Super Bowl after the age of 35 (22%).   

I'm hoping they have one before then as well - but I don't think they should be counted out that soon.   Health and taking care of themselves - and assuming they have the desire - they could certainly win one at that age.

3 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Ryan and julio will play 6 more seasons together.. they will retire together in 2024 and i will cry like a child

That's exactly what I suspect, they will retire at the end of the 2023 season, when Ryan is closing in on 39 and Julio on 35. 

Jeff Hullinger asked Julio this question early last season in an interview and I think it honestly caught him off guard. Players tend to think they are invincible, but I think now he realizes that the clock is definitely ticking on our window because of Ryan's age and Julio his own repetitive lower extremity injuries.

Good question, even though unpleasant to talk about. Bottom line, both will be around a while at peak performance.

Ryan has the desire, he lives football, which means more than anything for a QB. If he starts meditating, doing yoga, and making trips to the Himalayas looking for a higher meaning in life, then look out Falcon Fans.

Julio is a freak of nature just like Randy Moss, who said he could run a 4.3 at 35. I know JJ has aches/pains/pins, but he will play through those like he always has, well past 35 at an elite level! He still must have the desire, again watch out for trips to the Himalayas. Just like with Maslow's pyramid, when you have all the money in the world, you begin to look at higher meaning and the next level.

I disagree with all these assessments. I give Julio AND Matt about 2-3 more years at this level. After that they can and will still play, but the level will not be the same and the window of opportunity will have diminished tremendously.

If we don't get it all this year or 2018, I don't think we'll get it with this regime unless we build some type of Bears/Ravensish defense. 

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

I disagree with all these assessments. I give Julio AND Matt about 2-3 more years at this level. After that they can and will still play, but the level will not be the same and the window of opportunity will have diminished tremendously.

If we don't get it all this year or 2018, I don't think we'll get it with this regime unless we build some type of Bears/Ravensish defense. 

It's way more likely that next season's Falcons team in 2018 (the year we host it in Feb 2019) wins the Super Bowl than this year's current team who's been more inconsistent and has a tough schedule ahead. Next season's Falcons will have a better schedule (AFC North and NFC East will be better than AFC East and NFC North). Our defense (which I believe is currently 1 year away) will finally hit its stride and turn into #1 in every statistical category (and defense wins championships), hopefully our coaches fixes the special team problems, and we know the Panthers and Saints will not be as good next season. That's how the NFC South has always been.

1998 gave this team a franchise best 14 wins and 2 losses. Our first divisional round playoff win in franchise history, our first trip to the NFC title game and our first NFC title victory in franchise history, which gave the city of Atlanta our first trip to the Super Bowl in franchise history, and it changed our franchise in a highly positive way moving forward. Michael Vick would later follow which gave us exciting moments, and since then the Falcons have not missed the playoffs more than 3 years in a row. 

2008 gave this team Matt Ryan which is the era we're still in today, and he is our best QB in franchise history when it comes to long term success. 2008 gave us Mike Smith, the winningest coach in franchise history despite being gone now, our best draft class in years. 2008 started our stretch of 5 straight winning seasons for the first time in franchise history, etc. 

2018 is on its way, so what will that year bring us for the Falcons? Well, I know the Super Bowl is here in Atlanta in February 2019, which means the 2018 season could be very special for the Falcons with the talent we have, and I WANT DEFENSE!!! I WANT DEFENSE!!!! I WANT THE BEST DEFENSE we haven't seen in Atlanta since the 1998 team, but even more unstoppable and punishing on opponents!