Who exactly is former Crimson Tide and Atlanta Falcons star Quintorris Jones?

lostnmexico

Julio signs PR ALcom.jpg(Press-Register photo)

If you haven't seen it in today's Press-Register, seriously recommended bye-week reading is an in-depth story on Alabama sophomore wide receiver Julio Jones.

Despite Julio's fame, it's amazing how little is really known about him as a person. My goal for the story was to find out a few things you may not know about the Crimson Tide's most recognizable star.

For instance, did you know ... the name everyone knows isn't his real name?

His legal name is Quintorris Lopez Jones. The name Julio goes back to his mother, and he figures he has been called that since about seventh grade.

"It stuck with me," Jones said, smiling at the understatement. "It's really no big deal to me. I like Quintorris. It means 'Gladiator.'"

Where did the nickname come from? Even Jones says he's not all that sure, though he knows it is connected to his middle name. He vaguely remembers his mother telling him about a friend who had passed away about the time of Jones' birth.

"He said to give him a part of my name," Jones said. "I guess that's how they started calling me Julio."

Another excerpt from the story ...

Around Alabama this season, everyone has wanted to know: What's wrong with Julio? He hears that talk, but explains that he doesn't care and said he is "having a lot of fun," as the Crimson Tide stands at 8-0 going into next weekend's LSU game.

"I don't really care about how many catches I get, how many yards, how many touchdowns," Jones said. "It comes down to did you have fun and help your teammates out. They're like my brothers. I not only play for me. I play for them."

"Who doesn't want to go hit somebody? If you're not getting the ball, are you going to take a play off and walk around? It's football."

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/11/who_exactly_is_crimson_tide_st.html

Edited by lostnmexico

5 minutes ago, EJmusic said:

If my man can stay healthy he will go down as the GOAT. 

In my mind.....He IS the Greatest Of All Time! 

He is better than Rice, Moss, Stallworth, Largent. Belitnikov and especially that guy who just wanted them to throw him the darn ball!

It's attitude and hard work that make the man and he is definitely the man!

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

In my mind.....He IS the Greatest Of All Time! 

He is better than Rice, Moss, Stallworth, Largent. Belitnikov and especially that guy who just wanted them to throw him the darn ball!

It's attitude and hard work that make the man and he is definitely the man!

I love Julio ,  but Rice is the GOAT , Julio may pass him one day ., I hope he does , both guys had very similer attitudes , The just throw me the **** ball , is a few levels below .

16 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

I love Julio ,  but Rice is the GOAT , Julio may pass him one day ., I hope he does , both guys had very similer attitudes , The just throw me the **** ball , is a few levels below .

Julio is my favorite Falcons player. I have to agree with you though, as of right NOW Rice is the GOAT in my opinion. I believe if Julio can stay healthy he can be the GOAT some day. 

It's interesting comparing both players career stats as of now though looking at the first 7 years. 

Julio Jones Career Stats

Jerry Rice Career Stats

Edited by WinningIsTheOnlyOption

9 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

Julio is my favorite Falcons player. I have to agree with you though, as of right NOW Rice is the GOAT in my opinion. I believe if Julio can stay healthy he can be the GOAT some day. 

It's interesting comparing both players career stats as of now though looking at the first 7 years. 

Julio Jones Career Stats

Jerry Rice Career Stats

Nice,  and both are unselfish and team players , can't say that for most of the top 10 in receiving all time.

43 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

In 87 Rice had 22 TDs in 12 games... the man played 18-19 years, Julio has some "growing" to do before he ever fills the Goats shoes.

Julio won't play as long as the great Jerry Rice did he is just a more highly tuned athlete than what Jerry was.Jerrys longevity is like one of the great wonders of the world even this off season he was running drills kitted out with the Niners WRers and he's 50 now yeah no way Julio will be matching that.

7 hours ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

In 87 Rice had 22 TDs in 12 games... the man played 18-19 years, Julio has some "growing" to do before he ever fills the Goats shoes.

Eh,  TD's are going to hurt Julio but they shouldn't.  Michael Turner, Tony Gonzales, Devontae Freeman, and Tevin Coleman have run in many scores that Jones was instrumental in getting us down the field.  Jones has never been a high TD guy.