Xavier Rhodes on Julio Jones

lostnmexico

ESPN.com: Julio Jones has ‘no weakness’ but Xavier Rhodes isn’t intimidated

After torching the Bucs, Julio Jones will go up against one of the NFL’s top corners in recent seasons when he squares off with Minnesota’s Xavier Rhodes. Since last year, Rhodes has seven interceptions, which ties him for fourth among all cornerbacks in that time, and he’s considered by many to be a shutdown defender.

Rhodes is coming off a rare bad outing on Thanksgiving, when he allowed Lions receiver Marvin Jones to catch six passes for 109 yards and two touchdowns. The last time Rhodes and Jones lined up across from one another was in 2015. In that game, a 20-10 win for the Vikings, Jones was held to five catches for 56 yards and no touchdowns.

“Julio is Julio,” Rhodes told ESPN’s Courtney Cronin. “Big, fast, physical. Gets the ball once it’s in the air. I don’t believe he has any weakness at all. He’s focused. Doesn’t really talk much on the field, so it’s hard to get in his head.

“Same regimen, same thing. Don’t believe in the hype, don’t be afraid of the name. I know he’s one of the best receivers in the league and I just have to go and play with that mindset, having confidence.”

So if Julio goes off for another 250 yards, does that make Xavier ¨Dusty¨ Rhodes?

Funny or not, Julio has to put this guy on the ropes!

15 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Rhodes is unreal. Love him as a player. One of the few guys that I think can actually match up well with Julio, too. 

We'll be better off leaning on our RBs in the passing game, imho.

I wanted him over Trufant the year they both came out. Trufant was the much better fit for what we did back then, but Rhodes is in the short list of guys I’d take over Trufant, especially given the scheme we run. 

10 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

ESPN.com: Julio Jones has ‘no weakness’ but Xavier Rhodes isn’t intimidated

After torching the Bucs, Julio Jones will go up against one of the NFL’s top corners in recent seasons when he squares off with Minnesota’s Xavier Rhodes. Since last year, Rhodes has seven interceptions, which ties him for fourth among all cornerbacks in that time, and he’s considered by many to be a shutdown defender.

Rhodes is coming off a rare bad outing on Thanksgiving, when he allowed Lions receiver Marvin Jones to catch six passes for 109 yards and two touchdowns. The last time Rhodes and Jones lined up across from one another was in 2015. In that game, a 20-10 win for the Vikings, Jones was held to five catches for 56 yards and no touchdowns.

“Julio is Julio,” Rhodes told ESPN’s Courtney Cronin. “Big, fast, physical. Gets the ball once it’s in the air. I don’t believe he has any weakness at all. He’s focused. Doesn’t really talk much on the field, so it’s hard to get in his head.

“Same regimen, same thing. Don’t believe in the hype, don’t be afraid of the name. I know he’s one of the best receivers in the league and I just have to go and play with that mindset, having confidence.”

So if Julio goes off for another 250 yards, does that make Xavier ¨Dusty¨ Rhodes?

Funny or not, Julio has to put this guy on the ropes!

He does that; he will be called Golduster

9 hours ago, Jerz said:

Julio usually doesn’t have 2 straight weeks of domination so I’m not expecting much from him on Sunday, just a few catches here and there.

Julio isn't single covered for 80% of a game after a week of domination either. If Zimmer feels Rhodes is up to the task with little to no help Julio will still get his (provided Matt has time)

12 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

Julio isn't single covered for 80% of a game after a week of domination either. If Zimmer feels Rhodes is up to the task with little to no help Julio will still get his (provided Matt has time)

The thing is Rhodes has shut Julio down the last 2 meetings they’ve had with each other and that was early in Rhodes career. He’s a better Cb now and there is no doubt he is going to get up for this matchup.

1 minute ago, YoungHeezy said:

I hope Zimmer shares your zeal.

I don’t. I’d rather Julio command attention so it’d be easier for Matt to spread the ball around. But I really dont think Julio is getting over 60 yards..hopefully he can get another TD though.

37 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I really wanna see Julio toast Rhodes. Vikes fans get too annoying when they talk about how Rhodes is going to shut him down. 

It gets really frustrating when anyone talks about shutting Julio down.... 9 times out of 10, if Julio has an average or subpar day, someone else, or the offense as a whole has had a successful day.

Or a day Julio goes five catches for 60 yards.... dude just averaged 12 ypc and that’s brag worthy?

lol