A Gap Blitz

WiscoFalcon

In case you didn't know, the double A gap blitz is not just something the Vikings use often on defense, it's an identity. It's Mike Zimmer's go to. 

As shown by the video below, the pressure doesn't always come from those two guys over the center, but from outside the tackles too . The Vikings use this look on just about every third down, and you should almost always expect it on 3rd and long. 

Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr are two tough dudes to play against because of this scheme. Barr is more of the cover guy, but they will mix and match multiple looks from it. There is a lot of things they can throw at you from the same formation - which we need to be prepared for. 

On the bright side, we face an oppoenent twice a year that does things similarly. That's right, the Carolina Panthers. 

18H2Qja.png

Even though it's tough to play against, we have seen it many times before

Of course these aren't the only two teams in the league that use it, most teams use it from time to time. But these two teams use it heavily because it works. 

In addition to being prepared for this kind of a defensive look, our MVP is one of the best in the league against pressure. Matt Ryan is consistenly up there at the top statistically against the blitz - especially these last few seasons. 

The best way to combat this defense is to be very productive on 1st and 2nd down - something OC Steve Sarkisian has been harping on for the last few weeks. 

As long as the offense prepares well this week and communicates well on Sunday, we have a good chance of sustaining drives. 

Edited by WiscoFalcon

4 minutes ago, quickzero said:

I honestly think we can do anything we want against this defense.

While I think that can be true, we can't ignore the talents of Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Rhodes etc. Points might be a premium on Sunday. 

Edited by WiscoFalcon

1 minute ago, WiscoFalcon said:

While I think that can be true, we can't ignore the talents of Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Rhodes etc. Points might be a premium on Sunday. 

No, you're right. Those guys are beasts. We have some beasts too though. I remember last season when we went against the Seahawks; their defense hadnt allowed any passing touchdowns until they played us. Matty threw 3 touchdowns. Not saying it will be easy but I think we are well equipped to take these guys on. Not just talent wise but experience also.

1 hour ago, quickzero said:

I honestly think we can do anything we want against this defense.

Child Pleeze! I'm reading the posts on this thread, ya'll crazy. You all are SERIOUSLY underestimating the Vikings Defense. I hope the Falcons wins. But to say were gonna have our way with them is blind homerism.

Flats are typically wide open against this type of defensive scheme. If they go man, you have about 2 seconds to find the hot reciever. This can be tough with the many looks they give you, so reads are crucial. Slant-flat combos can work, but can wind up in INTs if not read properly. Hopefully we can scheme several options, as we have the weapons at our disposal to dispose of this type of defense.

15 hours ago, Rod23 said:

Child Pleeze! I'm reading the posts on this thread, ya'll crazy. You all are SERIOUSLY underestimating the Vikings Defense. I hope the Falcons wins. But to say were gonna have our way with them is blind homerism.

I'm not underestimating them at all.What I will say is this if we get going early against these guys I think like quickzero said we can eat them.I think a lot are to scared to say how good our team really is.This team still hasn't put a total performance together as yet and is showing it's improving in the last 3 weeks.

A home game now against the the 2nd best in the NFC record wise I for one won't be surprised if we beat these guys well next game up.

5 hours ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Slants and screens will slow this type of defense down.  Looking at the replays, the QBs were holding on to the ball way too long.  That last sack on Brees, he had the ball for nearly 5 seconds...

Exactly. The only defense against Julio or Sanu isolated on a slant is a LB getting in the throwing lane. If they're paired in the middle over the center they can't do that. Cut the DT on the throwing side, and put the ball in the receiver's belly in stride. 1st down every time.

The other option is sneak Coleman or a TE on a little hook/curl right over the LB's heads and dump it off. Those guys won't be so anxious to rush if they have to turn around and chase the other way a couple times.

19 minutes ago, tywreezy33 said:

Flats are typically wide open against this type of defensive scheme. If they go man, you have about 2 seconds to find the hot reciever. This can be tough with the many looks they give you, so reads are crucial. Slant-flat combos can work, but can wind up in INTs if not read properly. Hopefully we can scheme several options, as we have the weapons at our disposal to dispose of this type of defense.

Trust in DR.SARK! 

10 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Exactly. The only defense against Julio or Sanu isolated on a slant is a LB getting in the throwing lane. If they're paired in the middle over the center they can't do that. Cut the DT on the throwing side, and put the ball in the receiver's belly in stride. 1st down every time.

The other option is sneak Coleman or a TE on a little hook/curl right over the LB's heads and dump it off. Those guys won't be so anxious to rush if they have to turn around and chase the other way a couple times.

Yeah....because it won't be a lot of time to do much of anything else.

20 hours ago, WiscoFalcon said:

In case you didn't know, the double A gap blitz is not just something the Vikings use often on defense, it's an identity. It's Mike Zimmer's go to. 

As shown by the video below, the pressure doesn't always come from those two guys over the center, but from outside the tackles too . The Vikings use this look on just about every third down, and you should almost always expect it on 3rd and long. 

Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr are two tough dudes to play against because of this scheme. Barr is more of the cover guy, but they will mix and match multiple looks from it. There is a lot of things they can throw at you from the same formation - which we need to be prepared for. 

On the bright side, we face an oppoenent twice a year that does things similarly. That's right, the Carolina Panthers. 

18H2Qja.png

Even though it's tough to play against, we have seen it many times before

Of course these aren't the only two teams in the league that use it, most teams use it from time to time. But these two teams use it heavily because it works. 

In addition to being prepared for this kind of a defensive look, our MVP is one of the best in the league against pressure. Matt Ryan is consistenly up there at the top statistically against the blitz - especially these last few seasons. 

The best way to combat this defense is to be very productive on 1st and 2nd down - something OC Steve Sarkisian has been harping on for the last few weeks. 

As long as the offense prepares well this week and communicates well on Sunday, we have a good chance of sustaining drives. 

Excellent comparison to the Panther's defense. I'm pretty confident we can keep these Vikes on their heels.

20 hours ago, quickzero said:

No, you're right. Those guys are beasts. We have some beasts too though. I remember last season when we went against the Seahawks; their defense hadnt allowed any passing touchdowns until they played us. Matty threw 3 touchdowns. Not saying it will be easy but I think we are well equipped to take these guys on. Not just talent wise but experience also.

3 in one quarter then again 3 in one game in the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, The Great American said:

Off topic but what are your thoughts on the Wisconsion-Ohio St. championship game?   

I like our chances. We've been flying under the radar all year, and I have good feelings about this one with our defense against a less than 100% J.T. Barrett. As long as Hornibrook doesn't turn it over, we're in good shape.