Prevent defense is killing us how do our STUPID coaches not see that?

Scorpion

Once we get ahead or in huge lead we start playing the stupid prevent defense esentially playing NOT TO LOSE and what do you know we let teams back in the game with ease. I swear i think we have an amazing talent in players but our coaches ...everything from play calling to time management is pure trash. 

If you dont believe me look at Miami game.....Look at Seahawks game where we let them score 80 yard touchdown in 47 seconds due to **** prevents defense.....look at superbowl 28-3 comeback ...and hack even last game when Tampa came pretty much came back once we started playing the stupid prevent defense.. 

We get in the lead and we stop playing what works and start playing scared and easily let the other team back in the game....I cant be the only one that notices this can i ? 

Edited by Scorpion

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't running a prevent in the 4th quarter, for one.  On that last drive Tampa Bay had, we rushed 5 on multiple occasions and while we were playing some off coverage, we were also mixing up looks.

They weren't in a soft defensive scheme.  They just played soft defense.  There is a difference between not playing well and running a specific prevent-style quarters coverage with soft pass rush.  

Just now, AlabamaFalconFan said:

The clock is a commodity, sometimes you exchange yards/points to eat the clock... the average drive is 4 minutes.

Bleh this would take too long to explain maybe someone else will step up.

Yes i know that but Prevent defense is clearly not helping us run the clock out... Seahawks scoring a TD in 47 seconds when they struggled to score all game clearly shows that. 

Imo just play what has worked whole game and got you the lead in the first place and you will be fine.... I watch alot of Patriots games and they seem to just play what is working for them and only change it up if it stops working. 

24 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

Once we get ahead or in huge lead we start playing the stupid prevent defense esentially playing NOT TO LOSE and what do you know we let teams back in the game with ease. I swear i think we have an amazing talent in players but our coaches ...everything from play calling to time management is pure trash. 

If you dont believe me look at Miami game.....Look at Seahawks game where we let them score 80 yard touchdown in 47 seconds due to **** prevents defense.....look at superbowl 28-3 comeback ...and hack even last game when Tampa came pretty much came back once we started playing the stupid prevent defense.. 

We get in the lead and we stop playing what works and start playing scared and easily let the other team back in the game....I cant be the only one that notices this can i ? 

It is my understanding that we never played prevent in the Super Bowl. We did quite the opposite. We stayed in man to man the whole game that wore our guys out.

24 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

It is my understanding that we never played prevent in the Super Bowl. We did quite the opposite. We stayed in man to man the whole game that wore our guys out.

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Don’t completely agree with the OP, but he does have a point. Quinn's Falcons still are having to learn how to close out games. 

It definitely almost cost us the Bears and Lions games. Playing way off and letting them march right down the field on the last possessions. Took a final play stop on both to win.

6 minutes ago, parmenion said:

A terrific topic that's is forefront in every game we play - if we don't score 30 points we loose.

The only game we really closed out was Dallas. Not sure why we can't do that every game. We always let them get back too close for comfort. 

The soft zones were a must this game. No Trufant and no Poole and we were even without Alford for a short time. Going against Mike Evans and Desean Jackson playing a bunch of inexperienced CBs in press situations = bad time. You make them dink and dunk it down the field and eat clock. Yes it has bitten us in the *** plenty of times in the past but in this case it was a MUST due to personnel available and the matchups.

42 minutes ago, Pocahontas said:

We aren't running a prevent in the 4th quarter, for one.  On that last drive Tampa Bay had, we rushed 5 on multiple occasions and while we were playing some off coverage, we were also mixing up looks.

They weren't in a soft defensive scheme.  They just played soft defense.  There is a difference between not playing well and running a specific prevent-style quarters coverage with soft pass rush.  

Also keep in mind that we were running short on DBs by the end of the game and the depth just isn't that good after Poole.

There are no good examples of this recently that can't be easily explained away. 

Hawks 49 seconds - Prevent wasn't the issue, A bone-head penalty and A dropped coverage on a free play allowed this. 

TB - 2 starters out

I hate prevent too, but there is no case for it in our last several games. 

8 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Also keep in mind that we were running short on DBs by the end of the game and the depth just isn't that good after Poole.

This has been a problem long before last game. We play that soft zone sh*t and give offenses easy first downs and depending on the game we’ll start doing it well into the 3rd. It rarely even takes adequate time off the clock.

It's all about technique, and our guys aren't executing that coverage well at all. 

You start 5+ yards of the line of scrimmage so that you can read the play and QBs eyes better. The idea is once the receiver makes his break you drive on it as the DB.

Our guys aren't driving with enough urgency until after the catch is made. They aren't trusting their reads pre-throw.

The worst part of it is that it's a lot of comeback routes. We are already playing off coverage, the receivers are pushing our guys up the field another 10yds and when they comeback to the ball they've already got the 1st down yardage and room to work after the catch.

This may sound risky but our underneath guys need to trust the safeties more and diagnose the routes they are defending better and actually attack the break of the route to put themselves in better position to contest the catch. Cuz right now it's simple pitch and catch all the way down the field.

1 minute ago, LightningDawg58 said:

It's all about technique, and our guys aren't executing that coverage well at all. 

You start 5+ yards of the line of scrimmage so that you can read the play and QBs eyes better. The idea is once the receiver makes his break you drive on it as the DB.

Our guys aren't driving with enough urgency until after the catch is made. They aren't trusting their reads pre-throw.

The worst part of it is that it's a lot of comeback routes. We are already playing off coverage, the receivers are pushing our guys up the field another 10yds and when they comeback to the ball they've already got the 1st down yardage and room to work after the catch.

This may sound risky but our underneath guys need to trust the safeties more and diagnose the routes they are defending better and actually attack the break of the route to put themselves in better position to contest the catch. Cuz right now it's simple pitch and catch all the way down the field.

Not just that but underneath defenders are supposed to buzz under those routes helping the corners playing off.

1 hour ago, Scorpion said:

It didn't look to me like the Falcons were in prevent in SB 51. At least not after 28-9. I could be wrong though.

46 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The soft zones were a must this game. No Trufant and no Poole and we were even without Alford for a short time. Going against Mike Evans and Desean Jackson playing a bunch of inexperienced CBs in press situations = bad time. You make them dink and dunk it down the field and eat clock. Yes it has bitten us in the *** plenty of times in the past but in this case it was a MUST due to personnel available and the matchups.

This