Congrats to Matt Ryan passes Joe Montana

4LoveoftheGame

Matt Ryan has now passed Joe Montana for #17 on the all time Passing Yards List. Next up Kerry Collins.

Leaders

• + indicates Hall of Famer
Rank Player Yds Years Tm
1 Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015   2TM
2 Brett Favre+ 71,838   1991-2010 4TM
3 Drew Brees 69,140 2001-2017 2TM
4 Tom Brady 64,956 2000-2017 nwe
5 Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999 mia
6 John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998 den
7 Eli Manning 50,625 2004-2017 nyg
8 Ben Roethlisberger 49,762 2004-2017 pit
9 Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000 4TM
10 Philip Rivers 48,781 2004-2017 sdg
11 Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978 2TM
12 Carson Palmer 46,247 2004-2017 3TM
13 Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007 7TM
14 Drew Bledsoe 44,611 1993-2006 3TM
15 Dan Fouts+ 43,040 1973-1987 sdg
16 Kerry Collins 40,922 1995-2011 6TM
17 Matt Ryan 40,585 2008-2017 atl
18 Joe Montana+ 40,551 1979-1994 2TM
19 Johnny Unitas+ 40,239 1956-1973 2TM
20 Aaron Rodgers 38,212 2005-2017 gnb
21 Dave Krieg 38,147 1980-1998 6TM

4 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Just gotta win a ring and he’s a HOF’er 

Superbowl ring will guarantee it, maybe even just another Superbowl appearance will too. I think he might also get in with 50,000+ but will take some time after being rejected for a few years. 

He should finish this year at #16 (a couple more games should do it) and a good year next year should have him at least at #13 (#12 if Carson Palmer retires this season).

34 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I think that Matt NEEDS to win a Super Bowl to make it to Canton.  

Ryan doesn't need a ring to get in the HOF. QBs like Fouts, Marino, Kelly, and Moon got in by just being top QBs of their eras and historically. Ryan still have quite a few seasons to go so Ryan will more than likely rack up other QB records.

Here is the question, can you look at the QB position of the past ten or so years and not mention Ryan as one or the best of the top QBs after Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, or Ben? If so, then Ryan is already beating on the HOF door but will need a little bit more postseason success to ensure it while his stats are moving into all-time great territory.

If the falcons make another run to the SB this season I think he is in the HOF win or lose. If Ryan wins a SB then he will be 1st ballot type HOF worthy.

I think his legacy needs a SB though as closure on his career by the time Ryan is done. Just like how Elway needed it despite already being a HOF worthy QB.

For some reason a good bit of the media thinks that Rivers is a HOF worthy QB. If Rivers is, then for sure Ryan is worthy.

44 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Very nice. He is in some very good company and projects to have top 6-8 numbers when he retires

I think he’ll end up about 5th.. hes only 10,000 yards behind guys like ben and eli who have been in the league an extra 4 years. Crazy to think its been that long.. gonna be weird when rivers ben and eli retire soon

22 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Ryan doesn't need a ring to get in the HOF. QBs like Fouts, Marino, Kelly, and Moon got in by just being top QBs of their eras and historically. Ryan still have quite a few seasons to go so Ryan will more than likely rack up other QB records.

Here is the question, can you look at the QB position of the past ten or so years and not mention Ryan as one or the best of the top QBs after Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, or Ben? If so, then Ryan is already beating on the HOF door but will need a little bit more postseason success to ensure it while his stats are moving into all-time great territory.

If the falcons make another run to the SB this season I think he is in the HOF win or lose. If Ryan wins a SB then he will be 1st ballot type HOF worthy.

I think his legacy needs a SB though as closure on his career by the time Ryan is done. Just like how Elway needed it despite already being a HOF worthy QB.

For some reason a good bit of the media thinks that Rivers is a HOF worthy QB. If Rivers is, then for sure Ryan is worthy.

If memory serves me, Fouts, Marino, Kelly, and Moon were top performing QB's in eras that were less friendly to the passing game.  Their passing stats carry more weight (in my eyes) than the same yardage today.  

During his entire career, Matt Ryan has been considered a second tier QB behind the first tier of Brady, Rodgers and Brees.  This is fine, but makes for a tougher journey to Canton. 

Hey, I am in Ryan's bandwagon, but in my opinion, he needs to win a Super Bowl.

Matt Ryan's current ranks

• Passing Yards = 17th
  • Passing TD's = 18th
  • QB Rating = 10th
  • Pass Completions = 15th
  • Pass Attempts = 17th
  • AVG Passing Yards Per Game = 5th
  • Yards Per Pass Attempt = T-25th (Bunch of guys including Tom Brady and Joe Montana)
  • Completion Percentage = 8th (Ahead of Tom Brady)

Just a little note about the pass attempts, Brett Favre is the only QB in NFL history to attempt more than 10,000 passes and he's nearly 1,000 ahead of 2nd place Peyton Manning.

Matt Ryan has won an MVP. I think if he wins another he could make it in without a Super Bowl win because his numbers will all be top 10 in NFL history.

3 hours ago, RYNE said:

Just gotta win a ring and he’s a HOF’er 

also on a side not it was pretty cool that I was there in person when #2 became the fastest ever to 40k.... plus clayborns six sacks 

He’ll be a HOF’er without a ring. Marino doesn’t have a ring. Fouts doesn’t have a ring. Moon doesn’t have a ring. Matt will have HOF numbers before it’s all over. Ring or not. 

Ryan has more yards per season avg than any Qb on that list right now at like 4650+ yards a season.   Depending on how long he plays his style of play ages really well just like manning and brady's does.  If he decides to play till he is 38 or 40 like them then he will more than like pass all of their numbers in the end with the offensive talent he has surrounding him.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He’ll be a HOF’er without a ring. Marino doesn’t have a ring. Fouts doesn’t have a ring. Moon doesn’t have a ring. Matt will have HOF numbers before it’s all over. Ring or not. 

Yup. And his MVP was icing in the cake. QB , RB and WR are as much (or more ) about longevity and consistent high play throughout a career. Look at Flacco’s career and how up and down even with a ring. I think Eli’s career without a ring might be tougher, although he has far more consistency than Flacco.

also Matt has a ROY, an OPY and several pro owls and All pro now. 

rivers will be interesting.  And I don’t care what decade you’re in when you’re talking 50-60k passing yards and 350-400 TDs, you’re looking a very complete body of work at a high level. How many washouts have there been at the NFL QB position even to this day? Many have had one or two years, look at Griffin. Some started hot and then got injured like Luck. It’s just a tough game and guys like Ryan and ones you’ve mentioned played that tough game, year in and year out at a high level.