Why doesn't Takk McKinley get more playing time?

ChickenBiscuit

It seems that every game he's been on the field he's made some sort of play. Rather it's a stop for negative yardage, a sack or simply keeping outside contain - McKinley has seemed up to the challenge. I'm also extremely impressed by the kids motor and his pursuit.

Can anyone tell me why he isn't seeing the field as much as Clayborn? Is it because of Clayborn's monstrous night a few weeks ago or are there still some noticeable problems in Takk's game?

It's matchup specific.  Against Seattle he outsnapped Reed.

This last game, I noticed Atlanta played a lot more of that heavy package where Upshaw actually played the big end -- which was essentially a 3DT grouping.  Actually saw him standing up on a couple of snaps.

Tampa did some funky stuff to keep Atlanta away from their nickel package.

25 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It's matchup specific.  Against Seattle he outsnapped Reed.

This last game, I noticed Atlanta played a lot more of that heavy package where Upshaw actually played the big end -- which was essentially a 3DT grouping.  Actually saw him standing up on a couple of snaps.

Tampa did some funky stuff to keep Atlanta away from their nickel package.

PMF is correct about it being matchup specific.  He hasn't played more because he has yet to master setting the edge against the run.  He is the best athlete on the defensive line but Reed and Shelby brought better technique for opponents like Tampa and Dallas.  That said, New Orleans speed will present a problem for Reed and Shelby.  I see him really taking off against New Orleans where Reed and Shelby may not be as effective against Kamara and Brees.  I am sure they have him sitting and learning from the old heads how we need to set the edge because we will need him against the Saints.

Edited by lostnmexico

1 hour ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Next season when he takes over full time DE...

he will finish the year with 7-8 sacks.. has 3 in the last 5 games.. 

next year it might be him and clayborn starting base D and him and vic rushing passing downs... vic has looked good playing LB as of late and will likely continue his hybrid role

When are people going to realize we don't have 'full time' players on the DL?

Jarrett is the closest we got and he's only at 74% snaps played and I assume that wouldn't be as high if Hageman wasn't an idiot.

40 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

When are people going to realize we don't have 'full time' players on the DL?

Jarrett is the closest we got and he's only at 74% snaps played and I assume that wouldn't be as high if Hageman wasn't an idiot.

I know we dont have full time des... sorry for thr phrase but it was meant for when he takes a starting position ie 55-65% of the plays.. 

ANYWAYS... 

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

PMF is correct about it being matchup specific.  He hasn't played more because he has yet to master setting the edge against the run.  He is the best athlete on the defensive line but Reed and Shelby brought better technique for opponents like Tampa and Dallas.  That said, New Orleans speed will present a problem for Reed and Shelby.  I see him really taking off against New Orleans where Reed and Shelby may not be as effective against Kamara and Brees.  I am sure they have him sitting and learning from the old heads how we need to set the edge because we will need him against the Saints.

Takk ain't a better athlete than Vic.

2 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

I hope youre not saying reed sets the edge........

Just now, red falcon said:

I hope youre not saying reed sets the edge........

I think Reed is inconsistant setting the edge but remember Quinn earlier in the year complimenting Reed and his ability to set the edge.  McKinley has struggled setting the edge as he likes to run free sometimes.  I was trying to answer the question as to his lack of playing time and I believe there is a belief or perception that Reed and Shelby are better edge setters than McKinley.