Jump to content

Koetter - We had no answer for Julio!


Tandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Get 'em Ju!

Falcons beat Bucs behind Jones' 253 reception yards

 

(TSX / STATS) -- ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons All-Pro wide receiver Julio Jones burned Tampa Bay again on Sunday, extending his banner success against the Buccaneers.

Jones, who came in with just one touchdown reception, caught 12 passes for 253 yards and two scores as the Falcons won their third game in a row, beating the Bucs 34-20.

Jones teamed with fellow wide receiver Mohamed Sanu for a 51-yard touchdown on a trick play and caught a 25-yard TD pass from quarterback Matt Ryan, who finished 26 of 35 for 317 yards and one score.

"We doubled him, we tried rolling the coverage to him, we tried pressing him and we didn't have an answer for him," Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter said of trying to defend Jones.

Jones has 80 catches for 1,359 yards and 10 touchdowns in 11 career games against the Buccaneers.

"Every catch is special. There are no easy catches in the NFL," Jones said.

Sanu's bomb to Jones out of the wildcat formation early in the second quarter on third-and-1 to break a 3-3 tie was the six-year veteran's third NFL touchdown pass. Sanu botched a fake handoff to Tevin Coleman, but regained control of the ball and hit Jones crossing into the end zone.

"I saw him take off and I just threw it out there. I had to have a little flashback (to high school)," said Sanu, a former quarterback.

"I knew it was in the playbook," Jones said of the play.

"They work on throwing to each other all the time," Ryan said. "But it was cool to see it come to fruition in live action for the first time. It was a perfect pass. Mohamed is a stud. Really great throw and great adjustment by Julio, too, at the end."

Ryan extended his streak with at least one touchdown to 30 games on his connection with Jones in the second quarter that helped put the Falcons up 20-6 at halftime.

The victory for the Falcons (7-4) snapped a two-game winning streak by the Buccaneers (4-7).

Matt Bryant had two first-half field goals for the Falcons, hitting from 49 and 36 yards, while Patrick Murray connected from 36 and 27 yards for the Buccaneers.

The Falcons drove 78 yards after the second-half kickoff and went up by 21 points on Coleman's 3-yard touchdown run before the Bucs rallied.

Running back Peyton Barber scored from 2 yards out in the third quarter and a yard out early in the fourth, both capping long drives.

The Bucs drove to the Falcons 19 after a 37-yard return by Brent Grimes following a fumble by Terron Ward killed a long drive, but safety Keanu Neal knocked away a fourth-and-1 pass by Ryan Fitzpatrick with seven minutes remaining.

"I told the players I should have given them a better play. That's on me," Koetter said. "You have three or four plays on your sheet for that situation and I didn't pick the right one."

Coleman's second touchdown run, from 14 yards out, clinched the Falcons' victory with just under two minutes remaining.

Coleman, who became the father of twins on Saturday, had 97 yards rushing on 19 carries, and the Falcons, who collected 148 yards on the ground, finished with 516 yards of total offense.

Fitzpatrick completed 27-of-44 passes for 283 yards. Neither Ryan nor Fitzpatrick had an interception and the Falcons had the game's only sack.

The big game gave Jones two 90-game receiving milestones for the NFL. He has 563 catches, bettering Anquan Boldin's record of 558, and 8,649 yards, besting Lance Allworth's 8,502.

"I'm not a stat guy. That would be selfish," Jones said. "I just want to win."

NOTES: The Falcons lost CBs Desmond Trufant (concussion) and Brian Poole (lower back) in the second quarter. ... The Bucs had RT Demar Dotson and C Ali Marpet leave with knee injuries, and RB Doug Martin departed with a concussion, all in the second quarter. ... DT Clinton McDonald (back), S T.J. Ward (concussion) and CB Josh Robinson (hamstring) were hurt in the third quarter. ... In addition to QB Jameis Winston (shoulder), the Bucs started the game without DE Robert Ayers (concussion), CB Vernon Hargreaves (hamstring) and G Evan Smith (concussion). ... Falcons RB Devonta Freeman (concussion) missed his second straight game. ... Two remaining end sections of the Georgia Dome, which was imploded Monday, tower over rubble next door to Mercedes-Benz Stadium. ... The Falcons and Bucs play in Tampa on Dec. 18. ... The Falcons host Minnesota next Sunday in their only remaining game not against an NFC South opponent. ... The Bucs are at Green Bay next Sunday in their third straight road game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, E. T. said:

For 2 guys who are former coaches of this team...this is sad for them. They didn't know how to use Julio when they had him, and now don't know how to stop him.

Love me some Julio!

You do realize that the bulk of his 90 games came under smitty and dk right???

There was a lot of things that you can criticize but the use of Julio is not one of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Get 'em Ju!

Falcons beat Bucs behind Jones' 253 reception yards

 

(TSX / STATS) -- ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons All-Pro wide receiver Julio Jones burned Tampa Bay again on Sunday, extending his banner success against the Buccaneers.

Jones, who came in with just one touchdown reception, caught 12 passes for 253 yards and two scores as the Falcons won their third game in a row, beating the Bucs 34-20.

Jones teamed with fellow wide receiver Mohamed Sanu for a 51-yard touchdown on a trick play and caught a 25-yard TD pass from quarterback Matt Ryan, who finished 26 of 35 for 317 yards and one score.

"We doubled him, we tried rolling the coverage to him, we tried pressing him and we didn't have an answer for him," Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter said of trying to defend Jones.

Jones has 80 catches for 1,359 yards and 10 touchdowns in 11 career games against the Buccaneers.

"Every catch is special. There are no easy catches in the NFL," Jones said.

Sanu's bomb to Jones out of the wildcat formation early in the second quarter on third-and-1 to break a 3-3 tie was the six-year veteran's third NFL touchdown pass. Sanu botched a fake handoff to Tevin Coleman, but regained control of the ball and hit Jones crossing into the end zone.

"I saw him take off and I just threw it out there. I had to have a little flashback (to high school)," said Sanu, a former quarterback.

"I knew it was in the playbook," Jones said of the play.

"They work on throwing to each other all the time," Ryan said. "But it was cool to see it come to fruition in live action for the first time. It was a perfect pass. Mohamed is a stud. Really great throw and great adjustment by Julio, too, at the end."

Ryan extended his streak with at least one touchdown to 30 games on his connection with Jones in the second quarter that helped put the Falcons up 20-6 at halftime.

The victory for the Falcons (7-4) snapped a two-game winning streak by the Buccaneers (4-7).

Matt Bryant had two first-half field goals for the Falcons, hitting from 49 and 36 yards, while Patrick Murray connected from 36 and 27 yards for the Buccaneers.

The Falcons drove 78 yards after the second-half kickoff and went up by 21 points on Coleman's 3-yard touchdown run before the Bucs rallied.

Running back Peyton Barber scored from 2 yards out in the third quarter and a yard out early in the fourth, both capping long drives.

The Bucs drove to the Falcons 19 after a 37-yard return by Brent Grimes following a fumble by Terron Ward killed a long drive, but safety Keanu Neal knocked away a fourth-and-1 pass by Ryan Fitzpatrick with seven minutes remaining.

"I told the players I should have given them a better play. That's on me," Koetter said. "You have three or four plays on your sheet for that situation and I didn't pick the right one."

Coleman's second touchdown run, from 14 yards out, clinched the Falcons' victory with just under two minutes remaining.

Coleman, who became the father of twins on Saturday, had 97 yards rushing on 19 carries, and the Falcons, who collected 148 yards on the ground, finished with 516 yards of total offense.

Fitzpatrick completed 27-of-44 passes for 283 yards. Neither Ryan nor Fitzpatrick had an interception and the Falcons had the game's only sack.

The big game gave Jones two 90-game receiving milestones for the NFL. He has 563 catches, bettering Anquan Boldin's record of 558, and 8,649 yards, besting Lance Allworth's 8,502.

"I'm not a stat guy. That would be selfish," Jones said. "I just want to win."

NOTES: The Falcons lost CBs Desmond Trufant (concussion) and Brian Poole (lower back) in the second quarter. ... The Bucs had RT Demar Dotson and C Ali Marpet leave with knee injuries, and RB Doug Martin departed with a concussion, all in the second quarter. ... DT Clinton McDonald (back), S T.J. Ward (concussion) and CB Josh Robinson (hamstring) were hurt in the third quarter. ... In addition to QB Jameis Winston (shoulder), the Bucs started the game without DE Robert Ayers (concussion), CB Vernon Hargreaves (hamstring) and G Evan Smith (concussion). ... Falcons RB Devonta Freeman (concussion) missed his second straight game. ... Two remaining end sections of the Georgia Dome, which was imploded Monday, tower over rubble next door to Mercedes-Benz Stadium. ... The Falcons and Bucs play in Tampa on Dec. 18. ... The Falcons host Minnesota next Sunday in their only remaining game not against an NFC South opponent. ... The Bucs are at Green Bay next Sunday in their third straight road game.

Best quote ever!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Best quote ever!!!!

I know.  I love the humble but confident nature of this competitor - and he's always team first.    He's not Bennett who was so upset over touches in Pittsburgh - he's all about the win!   Julio is a man.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

You do realize that the bulk of his 90 games came under smitty and dk right???

There was a lot of things that you can criticize but the use of Julio is not one of them

And still to date; Julio does not have a 3 TD game.

But I will settle for the rainbow from Sanu to Julio for 6 any day.

I mean what do you frigging call that play? a SnuJu  ??

and how do you draw it up  12(6)11,, nd you wonder why Smitty had no answer.........chit I dont even know what the question was in the first place.........:huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Thanks - got my names mixed up - Martavis Bennett or Martellus Bryant.   Neither are getting many catches these days.   Yes - I mixed the names here too - that's to show how confused I am. :ninja:

 

I’ll assume that was on purpose, but just in case, it’s Martavis Bryant and Martellus Bennett. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favorite stats is posted in this free PFF article. Offensive Standouts

Julio had 253 yards, but only 61 of that was YAC. That is like 192 air yards on those 12 throws?  Julio was great, and Ryan and Sanu were serving up some accurate downfield strikes. I just watched the whole game for the first time. I listened to the radio broadcast in real time. The announcers said the Tampa defender fell down on Julio's 2nd TD. That man didn't fall down. Julio turned him around so many times he screwed himself right into the turf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, E. T. said:

For 2 guys who are former coaches of this team...this is sad for them. They didn't know how to use Julio when they had him, and now don't know how to stop him.

Love me some Julio!

You would think of all ppl they would know how to beat him..u can double triple him roll the coverage all you want..all that doesn't matter if your personel don't match up.guess they forgot Their arms was just too short to box with god..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

Mann must have been my training day when I typed that!

The GLORY of having a receiver of his caliber on this team. Like a FALLEN angel from the heavens. He's done so much for this team that I don't know what we would do if he wasn't on it. I REMEMBER THE TITANS game when he made the TD to ice the game. Then Sunday making a catch, running like a MAN ON FIRE, and taking FLIGHT for a diving TD.. 253 yards...almost had a DE JA VU  moment from last year against the Panthers. Man... when I tell you that man's got game. HE GOT GAME!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...