Ricardo Allen is a Fine Player

lostnmexico

He isn't Ronnie Lott, Joey Browner, or Earl Thomas.  He isn't 6 foot 2 inches tall and he doesn't change clothes in a phone booth.  What he is is darn fine football player, a self made player with a penchant for solid play.  This exerpt came from Archer's take on Atlanta:

Ricardo Allenicon-article-link.gif may have made the play of the game on 3rd and two in the 4th quarter
Most people will probably remember Atlanta’s stop on 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter. But the play before that was just as big, if not bigger.

At this point in the game, CJ Goodwin is your starting cornerback, you’ve brought Demontae Kazee in to play safety, and you have your starting free safety, Ricardo Allen, playing nickel. Tampa Bay goes with a bunch look, and Adam Humphries, who is as good as there is at finding those little creases in your coverage, runs inside and then pivots back outside.

And who is all over him? The guy that knows everyone’s position on defense: Ricardo Allen. I don’t know that I’ve ever talked to a guy that is more prepared to play not just his position, he’s ready to play your position, this guy's position and so on. And it paid dividends today. He was forced to play nickel, and he was all over the play. He had seen it, and he knew exactly what was coming, including the little pivot inside-out. That play went nowhere because Ricardo Allen was right there. And that forced them to go for the fourth down that becomes one of the big plays in Atlanta’s win.

Rico Allen is a darn fine player!  Not a prototype by no means and seemingly replaceable, but can you really replace instincts, heart, intelligence, and desire?  It would be difficult.  This thread is about giving Rico his props and the respect he deserves.  We are so lucky to have unselfish players willing to do ¨whatever it takes¨and put the cliché into practice.  Big Ups Rico!  You earned em.

Edited by lostnmexico

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

If Ricardo Allen was as bad as the haters say, DQ would have drafted his replacement by now. He isn’t a world beater but he is darn good football player. 

Did you see this D when Quinn took over? We had needs everywhere outside of cornerback.

And Rico played his best game of the year  yesterday. Still wouldn’t be suprised if Quinn drafts his replacement in  this upcoming draft. 

14 minutes ago, Peyton said:

He probably should get the credit for stopping the 4th down play too.  Neal had pretty good coverage but I don't think the guy drops the ball without Rico closing in on him.

Neal knocked it down didn’t he? I don’t think it was a drop. It was deflected. He got a hand on it. 

6 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Ha ha that’s true

he’s a great NB

FS? We’ll see 

He’s a FS and a CB.  A good FS should know what EVERYBODY’s job is. Earl Thomas could’ve played that because he knows what everybody is supposed to be doing. You couldn’t put Tru at FS and get good results. Allen is a football player not a star. 

Need to stop criticizing Wes. He's a second year player and everybody can't be Art Snell. Leave Hooper alone, everyone can't be Tony Gonzalez. Get off Derrick Coleman, everyone can't be Lorenzo Neal. Stop talking about Alford, you can't get Deion Sanders every year. I don't want to hear anything else about Sark, can't find Bill Walsh hanging out at the 7-11. While we're at it, stop talking about Beasley, Riley, and whoever else. 

Everyone in the NFL has made plays and everyone in history has been replaced. Just because you have an football player doesn't mean he can't be upgraded and just because people want him upgraded, doesn't mean they want him gone. 

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

He’s a FS and a CB.  A good FS should know what EVERYBODY’s job is. Earl Thomas could’ve played that because he knows what everybody is supposed to be doing. You couldn’t put Tru at FS and get good results. Allen is a football player not a star. 

Actually, with Tru’s speed and intelligence I’d be interested to see if he became that McCourty type FS

Just now, Knight of God said:

Need to stop criticizing Wes. He's a second year player and everybody can't be Art Snell. Leave Hooper alone, everyone can't be Tony Gonzalez. Get off Derrick Coleman, everyone can't be Lorenzo Neal. Stop talking about Alford, you can't get Deion Sanders every year. I don't want to hear anything else about Sark, can't find Bill Walsh hanging out at the 7-11. While we're at it, stop talking about Beasley, Riley, and whoever else. 

Everyone in the NFL has made plays and everyone in history has been replaced. Just because you have an football player doesn't mean he can't be upgraded and just because people want him upgraded, doesn't mean they want him gone. 

Excellent post!

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I hope they resign Allen but there are a lot of younger guys that are going to cost a lot of money to resign.... primarily Grady Jarrett.

He’s going to hit FA before Beasley since he was a 5th round pick but they will both be very expensive.

Which is why I wanted to hurry up and get someone to replace him just in case. I hate waiting until AFTER a guy is gone to start looking. Like with Kerney. You make more mistakes that way.

Just now, Knight of God said:

Which is why I wanted to hurry up and get someone to replace him just in case. I hate waiting until AFTER a guy is gone to start looking. Like with Kerney. You make more mistakes that way.

I think they already drafted a guy just in case. He's also a ball-hawking college corner they converted to safety.

That being said it's Allen's ability to get everyone lined up that will be tough for a 2nd year player to replicate.

As for Kerney.... yeah it took them forever to find a suitable replacement.  At least they tried using a first round pick on a guy.

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think they already drafted a guy just in case. He's also a ball-hawking college corner they converted to safety.

That being said it's Allen's ability to get everyone lined up that will be tough for a 2nd year player to replicate.

As for Kerney.... yeah it took them forever to find a suitable replacement.  At least they tried using a first round pick on a guy.

Also?

17 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Nobody has ever said he can’t be upgraded. Not once. We’ve ALL said he’s upgradable. That’s not the debate. But until his upgrade is HERE and in place it is what it is. Why are we still talking about Allen thru 11 games? What game has he caused issues for the defense? What game was he a liability? What game did he get beat like a drum in cover 3? Who has hurt us in the seam this year? That’s why I feel ppl complaining about him should  STFU because he’s answered all of those ?????

Nobody beats us deep. Except when he was out. If I had a complaint it would be Tru, Alf, and Poole. They let so many int’s get by them it’s frustrating. And Asante has even told me he wished he had more time with them because they leave a lot of int’s on the field. So it ain’t just Allen my brother. Should we upgrade both of our corners because they don’t make enough plays? And a future HOF CB told me that. No we can’t replace them 11 games into the season. So why are we still talking about Allen. What can be done? He’s here at LEAST another year.

None of them are risk takers. Tru, Alf, Poole, Allen, and Neal. Kazee is a supposed ballhawk. Where’s his picks? He’s had opportunities. Mainly buffalo when he started the whole game. Anybody can be upgraded but upgrades ain’t necessarily easy. Quinn has upgraded EVERY defensive position smith left him. You HAVE to ask the question why is Allen the last man standing. There’s something to that. Just saying. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Nobody has ever said he can’t be upgraded. Not once. We’ve ALL said he’s upgradable. That’s not the debate. But until his upgrade is HERE and in place it is what it is. Why are we still talking about Allen thru 11 games? What game has he caused issues for the defense? What game was he a liability? What game did he get beat like a drum in cover 3? Who has hurt us in the seam this year? That’s why I feel ppl complaining about him should  STFU because he’s answered all of those ?????

Nobody beats us deep. Except when he was out. If I had a complaint it would be Tru, Alf, and Poole. They let so many int’s get by them it’s frustrating. And Asante has even told me he wished he had more time with them because they leave a lot of int’s on the field. So it ain’t just Allen my brother. Should we upgrade both of our corners because they don’t make enough plays? And a future HOF CB told me that. No we can’t replace them 11 games into the season. So why are we still talking about Allen. What can be done? He’s here at LEAST another year.

None of them are risk takers. Tru, Alf, Poole, Allen, and Neal. Kazee is a supposed ballhawk. Where’s his picks? He’s had opportunities. Mainly buffalo when he started the whole game. Anybody can be upgraded but upgrades ain’t necessarily easy. Quinn has upgraded EVERY defensive position smith left him. You HAVE to ask the question why is Allen the last man standing. There’s something to that. Just saying. 

the whole team has left a lot of ints this yr period through drops, and dumb penalties