Garland and Schweizer

Flyin' In DC

Falcons Ben Garland played 10 snaps at right guard behind starter Wes Schweitzer, who played 54 snaps in Sunday's win over Tampa Bay. Dan Quinn explained giving Garland some playing time: "It was something that we wanted to take a look at. Ben has certainly done a good job. We've featured him some in the short yardage and the goal-line package. You've seen him do that. We certainly want to get him a chance to go in and compete as well. Yeah, it was by design.'' Schweitzer beat out Garland for the starting spot leading into the season.

I have not seen Garland having this many(not a lot) snaps at RG in a game(about 20% I think). I now DQ is all about competition and best man plays. Is this the beginning of a change? Maybe not with the Vikings coming in? Maybe especially since the Vikings coming in? I know Schweizer is struggling in Pass protection.

So what do you think?

My intent is not to turn this in to a "look a gift horse in the mouth" or bash Wes thread. I like how the offense has seemed to turn the corner and made us a very dangerous team

13 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Falcons Ben Garland played 10 snaps at right guard behind starter Wes Schweitzer, who played 54 snaps in Sunday's win over Tampa Bay. Dan Quinn explained giving Garland some playing time: "It was something that we wanted to take a look at. Ben has certainly done a good job. We've featured him some in the short yardage and the goal-line package. You've seen him do that. We certainly want to get him a chance to go in and compete as well. Yeah, it was by design.'' Schweitzer beat out Garland for the starting spot leading into the season.

I have not seen Garland having this many(not a lot) snaps at RG in a game(about 20% I think). I now DQ is all about competition and best man plays. Is this the beginning of a change? Maybe not with the Vikings coming in? Maybe especially since the Vikings coming in? I know Schweizer is struggling in Pass protection.

So what do you think?

My intent is not to turn this in to a "look a gift horse in the mouth" or bash Wes thread. I like how the offense has seemed to turn the corner and made us a very dangerous team

I've been asking for Garland for weeks.  People are always watching the ball, so it's "Matt messed up this" or "Julio dropped that."  But if you watch the RG position literally every play (just keep your eyes glued to him for a few plays in a row) you'll see that most of the times a play has broken down is because he just absolutely gets blown up by his man. He is a 2nd year player, I get that, but he is playing that bad next to arguably the best center in the game and a top 10 RT. 

I think if you see early struggles against Minnesota, then we may get Garland earlier than expected.  

3 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

So what do you think?

My guess is that sometimes Schweitzer just plain gets abused by power rushers.  Lyndel Joseph is no pic nic.  I believe they wanted to get Garland into a game to get a good look at him IN CASE they have to pull Schweitzer at a later date.  Schweitzer got plety of help on McCoy.  Minnesota's front presents a bigger challenge I think and I think those 10 snaps were an evaluation IN CASE they have to pull Schweitzer whose struggles need no more embellishment here.  Getting a look at Garland under game conditions giving them a better idea of how to gameplan moving forward.

Edited by lostnmexico

3 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

So what do you think?

Being that Garland is the back up Center, it was more risky to play him there (RG) early in the season.  We've known that Garland is an athlete.  He played some on the Defensive Line last year in big games...I believe.   This isn't the "changing of the guards" quite yet.

I agree with everyone's assessment so far.

A couple things I'd like to point out however is 

1. Wes had arguably his best game against TB, maybe it was because he realized his job was on the line, but he definitely stepped up Sunday.

2. The grass ain't always greener. Neither Garland or Wes actually looked that great during preseason. If Garland hasn't been able to outright beat Wes for the job by now I don't know that he'd be a difference maker for this Oline group.

Im all for competition and options and if Garland starts or supplants Wes then I wish him the best. I just don't want anyone to have their hopes up because if he was THAT much better than Wes he would've won the job in the offseason, but he didn't. Different don't always mean better. Garland was getting abused too in preseason.

The truth is we need to make a move in the offseason for that position to help solidify our line cuz the answer is probably not in the locker room

Edited by LightningDawg58

1 hour ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I agree with everyone's assessment so far.

A couple things I'd like to point out however is 

1. Wes had arguably his best game against TB, maybe it was because he realized his job was on the line, but he definitely stepped up Sunday.

2. The grass ain't always greener. Neither Garland or Wes actually looked that great during preseason. If Garland hasn't been able to outright beat Wes for the job by now I don't know that he'd be a difference maker for this Oline group.

Im all for competition and options and if Garland starts or supplants Wes then I wish him the best. I just don't want anyone to have their hopes up because if he was THAT much better than Wes he would've won the job in the offseason, but he didn't. Different don't always mean better. Garland was getting abused too in preseason.

The truth is we need to make a move in the offseason for that position to help solidify our line cuz the answer is probably not in the locker room

Idk man. Preseason is preseason. November and December are crunch time. Every time I've focused directly on Garland while watching a play he's looked better than Schweitzer. 

It think we're seeing the beginning of a change. And I do believe it's possible we have the answer in our locker room, and he just hasn't gotten a full shake yet. Brent Grimes was benched and re-benched a couple times before he solidified a starting job. Mostly because he wasn't drafted and didn't pass the "eye test" like Garland. Now Brent is a multi-year pro bowler still starting 10+ years later.

Garland by all accounts is a film junky. He has a military background and mindset, And he has a nasty streak at the end of run plays. If he gets a guy on skates he will drive till he pancakes them. I've seen it. IN PRESEASON. I think it's long overdue that he gets a real long term look in a game situation. 

According to message board logic Coleman isn’t any good and Poe is moving to FB.

No tellin what it means having Garland play some snaps. May just be keeping him ready going into the playoff run with what happened to our OL depth last year in Super Bowl forcing two players to play injured as we had no one behind them.