Jump to content

Come playoff time, you'd better have a guy like Dan Quinn on your side


lostnmexico
 Share

Recommended Posts

You play to win the game," is the beginning of a famous quote by the late former Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green after his team lost to the Chicago Bears. Regular season stats and records are cool but they don't mean anything if the ultimate goal is not obtained. The postseason is what defines a coach, because it is under these conditions were you truly find out which coaches have it and which ones do not. I have compiled a list of some of the top coaches in today's league and what their postseason records are dating back to their days as a Coordinator. The numbers are a bit surprising to say the least.

Dan Quinn - 5 years - postseason record 7-2

Mike Smith - 14 years - postseason record 2-6

Pete Carroll - 18 years - postseason record 10-9

Andy Reid - 19 years - postseason record 11-12

Mike McCarthy - 18 years - postseason record 10-7

Mike Tomlin - 12 years - postseason record 8-6

Sean Payton - 14 years - postseason record 8-7

Ron Rivera - 13 years - postseason record 6-7

The elephant in the room:

Bill Belichick - 29 years - postseason record 32-12

As you can see, Dan Quinn is among the least experienced coaches in the league to have a winning postseason record. A ton of factors can determine the success of a coach but I believe success has a way of sticking to a guy. As we learned last season, one of the most underrated aspects of the NFL postseason is experience which is why it is difficult envisioning some teams having success in it. Dan Quinn even as a Coordinator has proven he can win in the postseason. If the Falcons continue to play good football and make the postseason, I have no doubts that Quinn can take this team back to the Big Dance because his pedigree shows that he can.

Edited by lostnmexico
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

BTW...I like your thinking!

JB

Edited by Etowah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apples to oranges.  You list DQ’s post season record as a HC and a DC but only the other coaches time as a HC.  I believe Mike Smith had a winning r cord in the playoffs as a DC including a super bowl ring.  DQ hasn’t proven anything as a HC yet other than he can draft well, develop players and mismanage a Super Bowl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Etowah said:

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

BTW...I like your thinking!

JB

Quinn is the head coach.  His primary responsibility is making everyone better at their job.  There are many examples you can find of him developing and protecting the team's culture.  That goes beyond player and coach discipline.  On game day, he manages the in-game situations.  Calling timeouts and challenges are one aspect.  Going for it on 4th is another.  He also has final say on the game day roster as another responsibility, because each OC/DC/ST/OL/etc... coach wants the extra players contributing to their aspect of the game.

If you think about what coaching is, it's really all about communicating with people to help them get the most out of themselves.  Coaching, in it's purest form, is about helping other people be more successful.  Quinn's main job is to make everyone better at their job.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Etowah said:

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

BTW...I like your thinking!

JB

The head coach oversees the entire team.. thats why hes the HEAD COACH.. he dictates wether we go for it on 4th down, challenges, yada yada yada... he is extremely involved in the defense especially the Dline.. he talks to them nearly every series.. he is the mastermind and manuel is his right hand man being with him since seattle.. he has no problem calling a play when needed though.. 

last year he took over playcalling thay catapulted us to the SB over the final 6 weeks of the season and playoffs..quinn has full roster control, he is final say on who stays and who goes.. he probably gets about 3 hours of sleep a day bc he is gameplanning with manuel 24/7.. like really? “What does dan quinn do?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The head coach oversees the entire team.. thats why hes the HEAD COACH.. he dictates wether we go for it on 4th down, challenges, yada yada yada... he is extremely involved in the defense especially the Dline.. he talks to them nearly every series.. he is the mastermind and manuel is his right hand man being with him since seattle.. he has no problem calling a play when needed though.. 

last year he took over playcalling thay catapulted us to the SB over the final 6 weeks of the season and playoffs..quinn has full roster control, he is final say on who stays and who goes.. he probably gets about 3 hours of sleep a day bc he is gameplanning with manuel 24/7.. like really? “What does dan quinn do?”

I can't believe y'all answered him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Apples to oranges.  You list DQ’s post season record as a HC and a DC but only the other coaches time as a HC.  I believe Mike Smith had a winning r cord in the playoffs as a DC including a super bowl ring.  DQ hasn’t proven anything as a HC yet other than he can draft well, develop players and mismanage a Super Bowl.

Nope he's using both. Mike Smith was a linebacker coach or something of the sort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Apples to oranges.  You list DQ’s post season record as a HC and a DC but only the other coaches time as a HC.  I believe Mike Smith had a winning r cord in the playoffs as a DC including a super bowl ring.  DQ hasn’t proven anything as a HC yet other than he can draft well, develop players and mismanage a Super Bowl.

Mike Smith was 1-2 in the playoffs as a DC, with both losses being to the Patriots.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pzummo said:

Quinn is the head coach.  His primary responsibility is making everyone better at their job.  There are many examples you can find of him developing and protecting the team's culture.  That goes beyond player and coach discipline.  On game day, he manages the in-game situations.  Calling timeouts and challenges are one aspect.  Going for it on 4th is another.  He also has final say on the game day roster as another responsibility, because each OC/DC/ST/OL/etc... coach wants the extra players contributing to their aspect of the game.

If you think about what coaching is, it's really all about communicating with people to help them get the most out of themselves.  Coaching, in it's purest form, is about helping other people be more successful.  Quinn's main job is to make everyone better at their job.  

Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The head coach oversees the entire team.. thats why hes the HEAD COACH.. he dictates wether we go for it on 4th down, challenges, yada yada yada... he is extremely involved in the defense especially the Dline.. he talks to them nearly every series.. he is the mastermind and manuel is his right hand man being with him since seattle.. he has no problem calling a play when needed though.. 

last year he took over playcalling thay catapulted us to the SB over the final 6 weeks of the season and playoffs..quinn has full roster control, he is final say on who stays and who goes.. he probably gets about 3 hours of sleep a day bc he is gameplanning with manuel 24/7.. like really? “What does dan quinn do?”

Thanks. I asked because I didn’t know. I cannot imagine how hard the job is. Again, is why I asked. I’d rather not just make assumptions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Etowah said:

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

BTW...I like your thinking!

JB

 Head Coaches manage the TEAM. They delegate other coaches to handle different phases of the team but oversee the game plan for the week. Quinn is more involved with the defense but he oversees everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...