Come playoff time, you'd better have a guy like Dan Quinn on your side

lostnmexico

You play to win the game," is the beginning of a famous quote by the late former Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green after his team lost to the Chicago Bears. Regular season stats and records are cool but they don't mean anything if the ultimate goal is not obtained. The postseason is what defines a coach, because it is under these conditions were you truly find out which coaches have it and which ones do not. I have compiled a list of some of the top coaches in today's league and what their postseason records are dating back to their days as a Coordinator. The numbers are a bit surprising to say the least.

Dan Quinn - 5 years - postseason record 7-2

Mike Smith - 14 years - postseason record 2-6

Pete Carroll - 18 years - postseason record 10-9

Andy Reid - 19 years - postseason record 11-12

Mike McCarthy - 18 years - postseason record 10-7

Mike Tomlin - 12 years - postseason record 8-6

Sean Payton - 14 years - postseason record 8-7

Ron Rivera - 13 years - postseason record 6-7

The elephant in the room:

Bill Belichick - 29 years - postseason record 32-12

As you can see, Dan Quinn is among the least experienced coaches in the league to have a winning postseason record. A ton of factors can determine the success of a coach but I believe success has a way of sticking to a guy. As we learned last season, one of the most underrated aspects of the NFL postseason is experience which is why it is difficult envisioning some teams having success in it. Dan Quinn even as a Coordinator has proven he can win in the postseason. If the Falcons continue to play good football and make the postseason, I have no doubts that Quinn can take this team back to the Big Dance because his pedigree shows that he can.

Edited by lostnmexico

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

BTW...I like your thinking!

JB

Edited by Etowah

Apples to oranges.  You list DQ’s post season record as a HC and a DC but only the other coaches time as a HC.  I believe Mike Smith had a winning r cord in the playoffs as a DC including a super bowl ring.  DQ hasn’t proven anything as a HC yet other than he can draft well, develop players and mismanage a Super Bowl.

45 minutes ago, Etowah said:

This is an honest question. I’m a fan, not a player and I keep wondering what is Quinn’s role? He is head coach but what does he do? We have a DC running the D. We have Sark calling plays (I guess)... so what exactly, other that call timeouts and throw red flags does Quinn do. I suppose he has the final say on play calling but it’s just a guess.

I just don’t understand, so be nice.. I’m not trolling,  I want to understand. I was a long time STH, DOME: sec 122, before I retired. GO FALCONS!! 

JB

Quinn is the head coach.  His primary responsibility is making everyone better at their job.  There are many examples you can find of him developing and protecting the team's culture.  That goes beyond player and coach discipline.  On game day, he manages the in-game situations.  Calling timeouts and challenges are one aspect.  Going for it on 4th is another.  He also has final say on the game day roster as another responsibility, because each OC/DC/ST/OL/etc... coach wants the extra players contributing to their aspect of the game.

If you think about what coaching is, it's really all about communicating with people to help them get the most out of themselves.  Coaching, in it's purest form, is about helping other people be more successful.  Quinn's main job is to make everyone better at their job.  

1 hour ago, Etowah said:

JB

The head coach oversees the entire team.. thats why hes the HEAD COACH.. he dictates wether we go for it on 4th down, challenges, yada yada yada... he is extremely involved in the defense especially the Dline.. he talks to them nearly every series.. he is the mastermind and manuel is his right hand man being with him since seattle.. he has no problem calling a play when needed though.. 

last year he took over playcalling thay catapulted us to the SB over the final 6 weeks of the season and playoffs..quinn has full roster control, he is final say on who stays and who goes.. he probably gets about 3 hours of sleep a day bc he is gameplanning with manuel 24/7.. like really? “What does dan quinn do?”

40 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The head coach oversees the entire team.. thats why hes the HEAD COACH.. he dictates wether we go for it on 4th down, challenges, yada yada yada... he is extremely involved in the defense especially the Dline.. he talks to them nearly every series.. he is the mastermind and manuel is his right hand man being with him since seattle.. he has no problem calling a play when needed though.. 

last year he took over playcalling thay catapulted us to the SB over the final 6 weeks of the season and playoffs..quinn has full roster control, he is final say on who stays and who goes.. he probably gets about 3 hours of sleep a day bc he is gameplanning with manuel 24/7.. like really? “What does dan quinn do?”

I can't believe y'all answered him

1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Apples to oranges.  You list DQ’s post season record as a HC and a DC but only the other coaches time as a HC.  I believe Mike Smith had a winning r cord in the playoffs as a DC including a super bowl ring.  DQ hasn’t proven anything as a HC yet other than he can draft well, develop players and mismanage a Super Bowl.

Nope he's using both. Mike Smith was a linebacker coach or something of the sort. 

1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Mike Smith was 1-2 in the playoffs as a DC, with both losses being to the Patriots.

4 hours ago, pzummo said:

Quinn is the head coach.  His primary responsibility is making everyone better at their job.  There are many examples you can find of him developing and protecting the team's culture.  That goes beyond player and coach discipline.  On game day, he manages the in-game situations.  Calling timeouts and challenges are one aspect.  Going for it on 4th is another.  He also has final say on the game day roster as another responsibility, because each OC/DC/ST/OL/etc... coach wants the extra players contributing to their aspect of the game.

If you think about what coaching is, it's really all about communicating with people to help them get the most out of themselves.  Coaching, in it's purest form, is about helping other people be more successful.  Quinn's main job is to make everyone better at their job.  

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Thanks. I asked because I didn’t know. I cannot imagine how hard the job is. Again, is why I asked. I’d rather not just make assumptions.

6 hours ago, Etowah said:

JB

Head Coaches manage the TEAM. They delegate other coaches to handle different phases of the team but oversee the game plan for the week. Quinn is more involved with the defense but he oversees everything.