Falcons were 7-4 this time last year. They are hitting their stride at the perfect time

4dabirds

Except for the gaudy numbers (which I attribute to having NFC teams to play at the beginning of last year) - this team is on an eerily similar path to last year.   

We were 7-4 and Dallas was 10-1 and looked absolutely unstoppable in the NFC.   Giants were 8-3, Detroit was 7-4, Seattle was 7-3-1, Tampa was on a 3 game winning streak after beating the Seahawks (went on to a 5 game winning streak).    Green Bay went on a roll from this point on - and so did we.

This year we are 7-4 and Philly is 10-1 and looks absolutely unstoppable in the NFC.   Saints, Panthers and Rams are 8-3 and Seattle is 7-4.

The biggest difference is that we had played  4 Division games and lost only one of them - the first Division game we played.    This year we've only played 2 Division games and we lost the first one.

IF - and it is a big IF - we win out - beat our Division rivals - we end with 12-4 record and possibly the 2nd (also not eliminated from 1st seed - but it's a long shot) seed - which is where we were last year.

We lost Trufant with our 6th win last year and this year 

Falcons just need to take care of their own business week by week.

It's a rather telling article. Last year the Falcons had some difficult losses against mediocre teams in games against the Bucs, Chargers, Eagles, and Chiefs, with three of those losses coming at home. The difference this year is that the NFC South has 3 teams in playoff position. Do we really see this year's team that much different than last years team? Yes, the Falcons offense is not as good, but the defense is improved. Whereas last years team was still raw on defense but the offense was lights out. Let's hope the 2017 offense is starting to pick up some speed, and gets back to the dangerous ways they had last year.

18 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Except for the gaudy numbers (which I attribute to having NFC teams to play at the beginning of last year) - this team is on an eerily similar path to last year.   

We were 7-4 and Dallas was 10-1 and looked absolutely unstoppable in the NFC.   Giants were 8-3, Detroit was 7-4, Seattle was 7-3-1, Tampa was on a 3 game winning streak after beating the Seahawks (went on to a 5 game winning streak).    Green Bay went on a roll from this point on - and so did we.

This year we are 7-4 and Philly is 10-1 and looks absolutely unstoppable in the NFC.   Saints, Panthers and Rams are 8-3 and Seattle is 7-4.

The biggest difference is that we had played  4 Division games and lost only one of them - the first Division game we played.    This year we've only played 2 Division games and we lost the first one.

IF - and it is a big IF - we win out - beat our Division rivals - we end with 12-4 record and possibly the 2nd (also not eliminated from 1st seed - but it's a long shot) seed - which is where we were last year.

We lost our first division game last year too. The second one Julio went off for 300 yards in similar fashion to Julio's 253 yard outburst yesterday. Didn't lose from that point on. So we'll see what happens, but if we run the table in the division like we did last year we most likely will win the division.

Edited by JerseyNo12

15 minutes ago, Tandy said:

That's interesting. I wonder how the Eagles will finish the season. They have what could be a tough final 5 games. On the road at Seattle and then the Rams with one final road game at the Giants a team that played them real tough earlier in the year, then they finish with Dallas with an angry Elliot back in the fold. They could drop 3 of those games or win them all.

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

That's interesting. I wonder how the Eagles will finish the season. They have what could be a tough final 5 games. On the road at Seattle and then the Rams with one final road game at the Giants a team that played them real tough earlier in the year, then they finish with Dallas with an angry Elliot back in the fold. They could drop 3 of those games or win them all.

The big question is who can knock the Eagles out in the playoffs? If any team is going to do that (big task), then it is likely to be Atlanta or New Orleans. It could be the Panthers, but they got rather manhandled by the Eagles earlier this year, and I don't think they have the talent to beat them on the road. I will also say that this year's Eagles, look much better than last years Cowboys on both offense and defense.

Just now, 4dabirds said:

The big question is who can knock the Eagles out in the playoffs? If any team is going to do that (big task), then it is likely to be Atlanta or New Orleans. It could be the Panthers, but they got rather manhandled by the Eagles earlier this year, and I don't think they have the talent to beat them on the road. I will also say that this year's Eagles, look much better than last years Cowboys on both offense and defense.

Yea they do. Also will be tough to beat in Philly come January with that weather and hostile crowd, but also they don't have much playoff experience. That does seem to matter too.

3 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

The Vikings could beat them. 

37 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

As we all know - any team can be taken down in the playoffs.    They may be favored - but when it's a game against the top teams in the league - win or go home - anything can happen.  

Nobody gave us a chance in our '98 season against Minnesota - absolutely nobody.    

25 minutes ago, Tandy said:

As we all know - any team can be taken down in the playoffs.    They may be favored - but when it's a game against the top teams in the league - win or go home - anything can happen.  

Nobody gave us a chance in our '98 season against Minnesota - absolutely nobody.    

Or in the playoffs last season. Even after beating the Seahawks, folks were still picking the Packers to win.

53 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I certainly agree. I guess my logic was who could beat the Eagles early enough in the playoffs like Dallas got taken out last year before they could reach the NFCCG.

The top seeded team only plays 2 games - Divisional Round and NFCCG.    So - they could potentially play a team in the Divisional Round that takes them out.   IF (yes, big if) we were the 2nd seed - that would give us the NFCCG at home.    All this is speculation - but almost everybody assumed the NFCCG would be in Dallas last year as well.   We know how that turned out.

Bottom line though - our Falcons can only control the games they play.   They have to play every game the rest of this season like a playoff game to avoid elimination from post season.       

Here's to 12-4 and 1st or 2nd seed!

Rise Up!

Difference is the rest of the division sucked last year... not to mention the division games all stacked together. With that being said we are getting hot at the right time and you can see the teams who started hot and now have gone the opposite direction. It’s all about the month of December.

Edited by achin2be

19 minutes ago, FulC0 said:

On the ESPN Playoff machine, if you run a simulation with Seattle and Atlanta both finishing at 10-6, it has Seattle as the 6th seed and Atlanta missing the playoffs?

I thought the first tiebreaker was head to head matchup?

Are any other teams 10-6 as well? If it's more than 2 teams, it's no longer head to head.

My brother in law just set his wedding date for Sunday 1/7, so there’s extra incentive for me to hope we can run the table and get a first round bye. I don’t want to gamble with our first playoff game potentially being that day - would put me in a delicate situation with the wifey. 

10 hours ago, Tandy said:

Eerily similar with one big difference - the defense is better. Something no one is talking about nationally...yet ;) 

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

The eye test just doesn't put this team as good as last years

It's tough to say. We looked really bad at times last year too. Same story as this year. Ugly mistakes at bad times. That will be a constant under Quinn. "All gas no brakes," is often coupled with an occasional lack of discipline and smh coaching decisions. Also, you are seeing the Falcons vs. much stiffer competition down the stretch in 2017 than you did in 2016.