Rod23

I'm watching this game and thinking to myself, "Surely Mike Smith is going to double cover Julio at some point?" I can't believe he left a corner on an island with Julio almost the whole game. In the post game interview Matt Ryan made a comment stating that Tampa does not change what they do on defense. I can tell he was trying to say it as a positive, but we in Atlanta know the real deal, Mike Smith can not make adjustments. Watching Tampa play Atlanta on defense I couldn't help but wonder how he had as much success in Atlanta as he did.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Rod23 said:

I'm watching this game and thinking to myself, "Surely Mike Smith is going to double cover Julio at some point?" I can't believe he left a corner on an island with Julio almost the whole game. In the post game interview Matt Ryan made a comment stating that Tampa does not change what they do on defense. I can tell he was trying to say it as a positive, but we in Atlanta know the real deal, Mike Smith can not make adjustments. Watching Tampa play Atlanta on defense I couldn't help but wonder how he had as much success in Atlanta as he did.

Hargraves being out certainly contributed to that decisión, not to mention Robert Ayers who is their best pass rusher also being out.

1 minute ago, vel said:

Mike Smith had the #11 defense in points per game and two #5 defenses in points per game. 

Told yall just last week YPG and PPG were baseless stats. Been trying to for a few weeks now...

Yea. . . just like when teams hang 32 to 40 points on a team with the other team down by 22 to 30 points trying to play catch up. The defense will sometimes go into quarters or something. Then you have garbage time. It'll skew the numbers. Then, you have to account for outliers.

19 minutes ago, Rod23 said:

Michael Turner keeping the other teams offense on the sidelines.

Mike was a pretty good defensive coach.  Cannot take that away from him but to compare Quinn with Smith is difficult because the game has changed so much over the years.  Smith is a throwback to an older era of the NFL.  That is why he struggled at the end.  4-3? 3-4? Nobody runs pure base defense anymore.  Its all situational football and Mike has struggled to adjust to the direction the modern game is going.

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Mike Smith had the #11 defense in points per game and two #5 defenses in points per game. 

Told yall just last week YPG and PPG were baseless stats. Been trying to for a few weeks now...

Points per game matters the most

There has never ever.....and I mean never been a team who lost because they gave more more yards.

At the end of the day the only real stat that matters is what is on the scoreboard

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Neither of those defenses were very good.  One of them was adequate.  The scoring ranking from those 13-3 years was very misleading -- which was abundantly clear when the playoffs came.

Disagree....not only were they good at not giving up points...they were good  at taking the ball away.

The Falcons problem was when we played Rogers he played out of his mind....we had him dead to rights multiple times  and he just pulled a Houdini and he made some throws that  were perfect.....6 inches either way and they would have been incomplete.

In 2012 the offense squandered alot of  opportunities...it was not just on the defense

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Points per game matters the most

There has never ever.....and I mean never been a team who lost because they gave more more yards.

At the end of the day the only real stat that matters is what is on the scoreboard

If that's the case, Mike Smith had two top five defenses and one borderline top ten. 

Points matter most. Points per game can be skewed by a lot of factors. It's not a true indicator of the quality of defense. 

It's funny how yall question Smitty's defensive prowess and speak to how terrible our defenses were under him yet here we are talking about him having two #5 scoring defenses, something DQ has not done yet and isn't close. In his third year, Smitty had the #5 scoring defense. Year three and DQ has the #13 scoring defense. 

I'd take the 2017 defense over Smitty's 2010 defense any day of the week. 

When you say top five defense, nobody is talking about Mike Smith's defenses while he was in Atlanta. Period. 

Yet, yall get your panties in a bunch when I tell yall to relax getting hype over YPG and PPG. They are mirages. 

I will say, the Falcons defense in 2010 was much better than the 2017 defense at getting off the field. They caused turnovers (which can be fluky) and limited the length of drives they faced (13th in plays per drive, 11th in TOP per drive), that's what helped limit the points. The less you're on the field, the less you can be attacked. You can't give up points if the offense is on the field. They still were 23rd in yards per drive, showing they weren't a shut down unit. 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Disagree....not only were they good at not giving up points...they were good  at taking the ball away.

The Falcons problem was when we played Rogers he played out of his mind....we had him dead to rights multiple times  and he just pulled a Houdini and he made some throws that  were perfect.....6 inches either way and they would have been incomplete.

In 2012 the offense squandered alot of  opportunities...it was not just on the defense

If you're talking about the 2010 defense, that's the one I say was adequate.  They were solid at stopping the run.  At one point in that season they were flat out great (they were ranking #1) before it seemed like they got worn down.  But the hemorrahged plays through the air.  And it wasn't just Rodgers that had his way, either.  Blown coverages, guys looking lost in zone, etc., and the pass rush was Abraham or bust.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

When you say top five defense, nobody is talking about Mike Smith's defenses while he was in Atlanta. Period. 

Yet, yall get your panties in a bunch when I tell yall to relax getting hype over YPG and PPG. They are mirages. 

I will say, the Falcons defense in 2010 was much better than the 2017 defense at getting off the field. They caused turnovers (which can be fluky) and limited the length of drives they faced (13th in plays per drive, 11th in TOP per drive), that's what helped limit the points. The less you're on the field, the less you can be attacked. You can't give up points if the offense is on the field. They still were 23rd in yards per drive, showing they weren't a shut down unit. 

I will take 2010defense except the one in playoffs. Defense won couple of games that year. 

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Smitty had a couple Top 5 scoring defenses. He also had four or five good run defenses and most of his defenses could take the ball away. Something we struggle with. Did we have a turnover today?

Nope. 

That's the thing. We're trying to be too opportunistic. Good defenses shut offenses down then make them press or force plays, which leads to turnovers. We're not doing the first part. I don't think Fitzpatrick had to thread a single needle today and the Bucs averaged 4.4 yards per carry.