Scouting the Minnesota Vikings

lostnmexico

3 Stats That Stood Out: Vikings at Lions from Vikings.com

The Vikings scored the game’s first 13 points, built a 17-point lead twice and withstood a late Lions rally on Thursday for a 30-23 victory at Detroit to improve to 9-2 on the season and 6-2 all-time on Thanksgiving.

Case Keenumicon-article-link.gif completed 21 of 30 passes for 282 yards with two touchdowns and a passer rating of 121.8. Keenum connected with Adam Thielenicon-article-link.gif eight times for 89 yards and found Kyle Rudolphicon-article-link.gif in the end zone twice.

The running game thrived on the opening drive of the second half, and Everson Griffenicon-article-link.gif recorded two more sacks on the day his third son was born.

Here are three stats that stood out on Thanksgiving Day:

1. Keenum calm under pressure

The Lions were able to pressure Keenum frequently, but he was able to handle it.

Analytics site Pro Football Focus counted that Keenum was pressured on 51.4 percent of his dropbacks (18 of 35) but completed seven of 13 passes for 106 yards, a touchdown and a passer rating of 106.6.

Keenum took a substantial hit but dropped in a beauty to Rudolph for a 22-yard touchdown late in the second quarter.

The quarterback, who improved to 7-2 as a starter in Purple, was sacked twice.

Keenum is not Russel Wilson.  I still like our chances here.

2. Yards after contact

The Vikings drove 75 yards on four runs to open the second half. Latavius Murrayicon-article-link.gif busted loose for a gain of 46 on the first snap. Jerick McKinnonicon-article-link.gif then added gains of 16 and 11 to set up Murray for a 2-yard score.

Detroit had limited Minnesota to a season-low 87 yards in the teams’ first meeting of 2017 and had been quite successful in shutting down the run in season sweeps in 2014 (69 and 76 rush yards allowed) and 2016 (78 and 82 rush yards allowed).

Minnesota totaled 136 net rushing yards on 41 carries, an average of 3.3 per run, but stayed committed to the ground game. The Lions ran the ball just 15 times and netted 53 yards on the ground (3.5 yards per attempt).

PFF noted a significant aspect of Minnesota’s success on Thursday was the fact that Murray and McKinnon finished with more yards after contact than rushing yards.

PFF tallied 90 yards after first contact for Murray, who netted 84 on 20 carries thanks to forcing four missed tackles. The site counted 30 yards after contact by McKinnon, who finished with 23 net yards on 13 carries. McKinnon was credited with forcing six missed tackles (five as a rusher, one as a receiver).

Tackling will be key.  No way I want Riley on the field against Latavius Murray and McKinnon.  We are better with Vic playing the weakside.  I hope we keep it that way. I actually like Ishmael in a matchup with Minnesota.  His physical tackling and experience from playing big minutes last year could be crucial to stopping guys like Murray and McKinnon who were both back ups to begin the season.

3. Griffen a game-changer

PFF counted six total pressures (two sacks, one hit and three hurries) on 35 snaps as a pass rusher, accounting for a third of all pressure by Minnesota. It was the fifth game of the season in which Griffen was credited by PFF with five or more pressures.

Griffen’s work against 2016 first-rounder Taylor Decker and the threat of a Vikings defense that has sacked Matthew Stafford more than any other team may have factored in a quicker-than-normal release time by the Lions quarterback.

PFF noted that Stafford averaged 2.65 seconds to throw in Weeks 1-11, which was tied for the 19th fastest in the league. On Thursday, however, Stafford got rid of the ball after an average of 2.33 seconds. Derek Carr has been the quickest draw in the NFL this season, averaging 2.27 seconds.

Ten of Stafford’s 15 incompletions were attributed by PFF to inaccurate passes.

Offensive Protection will be key.  Stafford rushed several throws on Thanksgiving.  If the line can play as they played against Tampa (who have a fine front7) Atlanta should take their time and execute the offense.  I think Gabriel and Hardy factor into the gameplan for  this game because I expect Julio to draw doublé and triple coverage after Tampa.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I hate that they get 3 extra days or rest and preparation for this game. This is by far the Falcons toughest matchup this year. Falcons OL is going to have to bring their A+ game. If they don't it's going to be a long afternoon for Matt and the offense.

You are wrong...toughest matchup is Saints on TNF on short week yet again.

Beating Saints & clinching division is our #1 goal.

7 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Saints are not a tough matchup for the Falcons. The Vikings are. Falcons struggle against physical defensive fronts and the Vikings have the best defensive front 7 in the NFL. On the other side of the ball the Falcons have struggled against power run teams and that's the Vikings strength.

10 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Saints are not a tough matchup for the Falcons. The Vikings are. Falcons struggle against physical defensive fronts and the Vikings have the best defensive front 7 in the NFL. On the other side of the ball the Falcons have struggled against power run teams and that's the Vikings strength.

Definitely going to need to get ahead vs the vikes. That’s a tough unit up there on D. Our first 2-3 possessions need to be spot on. 

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

We need to win 4 out of 5 

Im already counting us out vs Vikings.

Our battle is within divsion....simple!

Edited by mattyicefalcon

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Saints share a short week with us then. In this case the Vikings get 10 days rest. You also have to consider that the Vikings are better than the Saints. 

4 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Im already counting  out us out vs Vikings.

The thing about the Vikings is that their weakness is one that we can exploit. Their OL can be had in pass protection. I hate that our defense is beat up right now. Diggs and Thielen are both very disciplined route runners and would give even our starters trouble. That said, we may just have the ability to disrupt the passer. If we can generate a turnover or two, this game will even out in a hurry.

The Vikings are the best team on our schedule his year imo. That said, even a depleted defense may have a shot if they can get after the passer. 

12 minutes ago, falcndave said:

The thing about the Vikings is that their weakness is one that we can exploit. Their OL can be had in pass protection. I hate that our defense is beat up right now. Diggs and Thielen are both very disciplined route runners and would give even our starters trouble. That said, we may just have the ability to disrupt the passer. If we can generate a turnover or two, this game will even out in a hurry.

The Vikings are the best team on our schedule his year imo. That said, even a depleted defense may have a shot if they can get after the passer. 

The Falcons pass rush today was an absolute joke. We should have handled the Bucs banged up OL but we didn't. Fitzpatrick had all day to throw and was barely touched.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Falcons pass rush today was an absolute joke. We should have handled the Bucs banged up OL but we didn't. Fitzpatrick had all day to throw and was barely touched.

You've been around a while. You can't play the, "Team A struggled against team B---Team C is better than team B---therefore team A will struggle against Team C," game. Outcomes are sometimes random in this game. The Falcons generally bring good pressure. The Vikings generally allow pressure. Despite what happened this week, it is reasonable to think the Falcons could get some pressure on the QB.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I hate that they get 3 extra days or rest and preparation for this game. This is by far the Falcons toughest matchup this year. Falcons OL is going to have to bring their A+ game. If they don't it's going to be a long afternoon for Matt and the offense.

You think thats tougher than going across the country to Seattle and playing them on 11 days rest?

3 minutes ago, falcndave said:

You've been around a while. You can't play the, "Team A struggled against team B---Team C is better than team B---therefore team A will struggle against Team C," game. Outcomes are sometimes random in this game. The Falcons generally bring good pressure. The Vikings generally allow pressure. Despite what happened this week, it is reasonable to think the Falcons could get some pressure on the QB.

I'm just saying, the Falcons had been doing a good job the last several games of getting pressure on the QB and then today they looked like the Mike Smith Falcons on defense. It just upset. I don't want them to revert back to that.

28 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Im already counting us out vs Vikings.

15 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I completely agree. I think the Vikings win and then the Falcons win out and win the division at 11-5.

The Falcons can beat the Vikings. It may be an ugly win, but they can get a W.

Despite how well Keenum has played, He is due for a bad game.

2 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Bingo. We'll be in good shape next week with the Saints and Carolina taking out one another. Feels good not to rely on the Jets or Redskins to screw around.

Falcons just need to take care of their business and everything else will fall in place. Philly is the only team that looks secure as a 1 seed.

I hope the defense is ready to stop the run. The Bucs average 79.8 yards per game rushing. We gave up 94. The Vikes average 124.5 per game. I'm not confident they stop the run next week. We give up 115.9 per game. The Bills ran it. The Dolphins ran it. The Panthers ran it. The Bucs ran it. The Vikes will run it. Tighten up. 

15 minutes ago, vel said:

I hope the defense is ready to stop the run. The Bucs average 79.8 yards per game rushing. We gave up 94. The Vikes average 124.5 per game. I'm not confident they stop the run next week. We give up 115.9 per game. The Bills ran it. The Dolphins ran it. The Panthers ran it. The Bucs ran it. The Vikes will run it. Tighten up. 

You are overrating what the bills did...they had 114  yards on 33 carries.

They barely barely averaged 3 yards per carry

Carolina had 200 yards......but 80+ came from Newton on the read option it  is not like  Carolina just lined up and smash us.

They need to tighten up but it's not like teams are just running over us