Falcons Find Closing A Challenge?

falcndave

Julio Jones dominates, but Falcons still find closing a challenge

I hold McClure in higher regard than many here. That said, I think he is missing the forest for the trees on this take. A defense that had a very strange looking group of names in the secondary made a critical 3rd down stop, then a 4th down stop. The Falcons offense then executed a perfect 4 minute drive. They chugged it out on the ground until timeouts were burned, and threw when they had to to keep the chains moving.

I understand that it didn't have to be a game with 5 minutes left. That said, Tampa's closing two gasps never had a chance and Atlanta's offense just basically closed them out with a very "in your face" type closing drive. 

I'd say this game was a nice example of how you are supposed to close out a one score game with half a quarter to go.  We could still do without the fumble and a couple of penalties. Overall, after they scored off the fumble, I'd say the Falcons did mostly everything in a very solid fashion from there on out. 

We certainly had a mid-second half swoon.  That said, the closing 7 or 8 minutes were top shelf. 

Eh...

Fortunately for Atlanta, free safety Ricardo Allen came up with a crucial third-down stop, then fellow safety Keanu Neal knocked the ball away from Cameron Brate on fourth down -- aided by pressure on quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrickfrom Dontari Poe up the middle -- to help keep the Buccaneers from scoring when they needed it most.

Those three stepped up on that Bucs drive when it mattered. You're still playing NFL players. They're gonna get points at some point but can you stop them and execute when it matters? That's what separates wins from losses.

And if it wasn't for that Ward fumble, the Bucs wouldn't have had a shot at all. Oh and btw, Coleman sealed it anyways...so no McClure, you're reaching.

6 minutes ago, HEIST said:

I mean it keeps happening and this season is defined by how we would respond to the worst blown lead ever so it's fair for the media to post articles.

But we did not blow the lead......after we tied  it up...the bucs NEVER took the lead again

If the bugs tied it the article would have a point..but they didn't so it doesn't

We closed the game out

Just now, falconsd56 said:

But we did not blow the lead......after we tied  it up...the bucs NEVER took the lead again

If the bugs tied it the article would have a point..but they didn't so it doesn't

We closed the game out

The Bucs went from down 27-6, to down 27-20 with the ball at the 20 lol. I mean props to the defense for finally making the stop but that game should've been over well before then.

1 minute ago, HEIST said:

The Bucs went from down 27-6, to down 27-20 with the ball at the 20 lol. I mean props to the defense for finally making the stop but that game should've been over well before then.

Without the fumble you are looking at a 30-13 game with 5 mins to go, as a worst case scenario. Im sorry but it’s not all on the D. 

Edited by FalconsFanSince194eva

1 minute ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

Without the fumble you are looking at a 30-13 game with 5 mins to go, as a worst case scenario. Im sorry but it’s not all on the D. 

Yes, comebacks do have a bit of luck involved. Why does that happen with the Falcons so much more than any other team in the NFL?

38 minutes ago, HEIST said:

That was a 21 point lead. We won by 14 so essentially they only closed the gap by 7. 3 score lead ends up a 2 score lead to a divisional rival. I’ll take it. 

1 minute ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Ward is chit!! Hes worthless clown who doesnt learn from mistakes and basic football skills of securing ball.

Even after fumble he chose to carry ball with 1 yard we were fortunate  they didn't box it out.

Stop it!! Smh. We don’t win without Ward last week. Just stop. We don’t beat the packers last year without ward as well. That’s the 1st fumble he’s ever had in live action that I recall and now he has a fumble problem?