Let's Talk About: Pass Protection (and give a little love to J. Hardy)

Offensive linemen generally don't get a lot of love when they're doing right, but they sure do catch it when they're messing up.  So, I wanted to take a look a play stood out to me.  Now I have not been in love with the way this offensive line has played this year, and it's been a little bit of everyone who has taken turns being the problem.  But they were Gods in pass protection Monday night... (not so much the run game), but everything in pass pro was on point.  They were picking up pressures, passing off stunts, the whole deal.

I want to take a look at this play from the 1st quarter, namely Ryan Schraeder.  He drew a monster of an assignment with the great Michael Bennett.  It's 3rd and I believe 7.  We're in the redzone trying to keep it alive.  Seattle is in man coverage.  They bring 5, which ultimately winds up being 6 as Wright green dogs.  But we'll get to that later.  Let's look at my man, Schraeder.

They know pressure is coming.  So Ryan has to be aware of Clarke in front of him, while not losing Bennett.  This is a tough align when an end is kicked out this far that's your guy and you've got someone right in front of you.  This is where d-line coaches get all kinds of creative running all manner of twists and stunts.

IMG_3110

At the snap you see Ryan instantly kick back into his kick-step, get his eyes on Bennett, while simultaneously extending that left arm to feel for Clarke just in case there is a game being run right there.  This is beautiful stuff.

IMG_3111

Wes has Clarke.  No game being run, so Bennett is all Ryan's

IMG_3112

Now this is the key moment in pass protection and it is a battle that goes on a hundred times a game... this moment right here before contact.  As an offensive tackle, you spend the entire week in the film room and on the practice field studying the guy(s) that are going to be rushing.  You try to clean everything from what move he does when his stance looks like this.  If his back leg is a little tighter, does he have a tendency to use a spin?  If he scratches his nuts before the play, does he have a tendency to use another move... anything.  You're looking for anything, because until you get hands on him, any part of a pass rushers repetoire from speed rush, to bull rush, to club, swim, rip, etc. is on the table.

Usually the battle comes down to who gets their hands on who first.  If a defensive lineman can engage you and close distance, or get a punch to the chest and so the tackle can't get hands on him, or slap the tackles hands away, then he can control the play. 

IMG_3113

This right here is a pretty sight.  I happens quick in the gif I'm about to post, but Schrader shot his hands into Bennett's chest.  For a pass rusher, this last place you want a tackle to get you at because he can just sit down, keep those long arms extended and move you.

IMG_3114

And here it is in motion.  Mighta got a little handsy to the face, but ehh, so what.  No flag, no foul, but just a really good looking play.  He kicked out wide to get him at the snap, but stayed balanced and got that good punch right to the chest.  Good football here.

giphy.gif

And let me post this picture all by itself.  It almost deserves it's own thread.  This is pretty... PRETTY.  This right here is football.  This is where games are won and lost.

IMG_3109

Look how gorgeous this looks.  Everything picked up perfectly.  Tackles setting the width of the pocket, guards setting the depth.  Quarterback clean and unbothered.  Can't ask for anything more.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And let me post this picture all by itself.  It almost deserves it's own thread.  This is pretty... PRETTY.  This right here is football.  This is where games are won and lost.

IMG_3109

Look how gorgeous this looks.  Everything picked up perfectly.  Tackles setting the width of the pocket, guards setting the depth.  Quarterback clean and unbothered.  Can't ask for anything more.

Impossible....I was told that wes was on skates all day!!!!

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Offensive linemen generally don't get a lot of love when they're doing right, but they sure do catch it when they're messing up.  So, I wanted to take a look a play stood out to me.  Now I have not been in love with the way this offensive line has played this year, and it's been a little bit of everyone who has taken turns being the problem.  But they were Gods in pass protection Monday night... (not so much the run game), but everything in pass pro was on point.  They were picking up pressures, passing off stunts, the whole deal.

I want to take a look at this play from the 1st quarter, namely Ryan Schraeder.  He drew a monster of an assignment with the great Michael Bennett.  It's 3rd and I believe 7.  We're in the redzone trying to keep it alive.  Seattle is in man coverage.  They bring 5, which ultimately winds up being 6 as Wright green dogs.  But we'll get to that later.  Let's look at my man, Schraeder.

They know pressure is coming.  So Ryan has to be aware of Clarke in front of him, while not losing Bennett.  This is a tough align when an end is kicked out this far that's your guy and you've got someone right in front of you.  This is where d-line coaches get all kinds of creative running all manner of twists and stunts.

IMG_3110

At the snap you see Ryan instantly kick back into his kick-step, get his eyes on Bennett, while simultaneously extending that left arm to feel for Clarke just in case there is a game being run right there.  This is beautiful stuff.

IMG_3111

Wes has Clarke.  No game being run, so Bennett is all Ryan's

IMG_3112

Now this is the key moment in pass protection and it is a battle that goes on a hundred times a game... this moment right here before contact.  As an offensive tackle, you spend the entire week in the film room and on the practice field studying the guy(s) that are going to be rushing.  You try to clean everything from what move he does when his stance looks like this.  If his back leg is a little tighter, does he have a tendency to use a spin?  If he scratches his nuts before the play, does he have a tendency to use another move... anything.  You're looking for anything, because until you get hands on him, any part of a pass rushers repetoire from speed rush, to bull rush, to club, swim, rip, etc. is on the table.

Usually the battle comes down to who gets their hands on who first.  If a defensive lineman can engage you and close distance, or get a punch to the chest and so the tackle can't get hands on him, or slap the tackles hands away, then he can control the play. 

IMG_3113

This right here is a pretty sight.  I happens quick in the gif I'm about to post, but Schrader shot his hands into Bennett's chest.  For a pass rusher, this last place you want a tackle to get you at because he can just sit down, keep those long arms extended and move you.

IMG_3114

And here it is in motion.  Mighta got a little handsy to the face, but ehh, so what.  No flag, no foul, but just a really good looking play.  He kicked out wide to get him at the snap, but stayed balanced and got that good punch right to the chest.  Good football here.

giphy.gif

The thing that I like is the hand off between Mack and Schweitzer when the defensive linemen both stunt.....that is good communication and what I like to call "team leverage"

Here's the play from a wider angle.  Not much elaboration, needed.  Seattle was in man free.  Great playcall by Sark attacking every level of the field.  I'm not going to break the play down, but the motion exposed the coverage.  The corner followed Sanu to the 3 receiver side.  Matt knew right where he wanted to go.  To the out to the single receiver side, which was Hardy.

Hardy ran a gorgeous route.  He put Maxwell, who was playing inside leverage, right on his hip, then broke for the sideline at the last second and the ball placement was perfect.  Matt throws this exactly where you want your QB to throw the out.  He lays it out there to the sideline, and low so Hardy can go down to get it.  If Hardy doesn't catch it, no one will.

This is why accuracy is sooo important in this league and being able to place the ball where you want.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

IMG_3109

In that blocking gif Macks position also where the Seattle tackles have tried to stunt and Mack has walled off the middle to keep the pocket clean.

Agreed great throw by MR2. There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back some guys questioning MR2s accuracy yikes.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here's the play from a wider angle.  Not much elaboration, needed.  Seattle was in man free.  Great playcall by Sark attacking every level of the field.  I'm not going to break the play down, but the motion exposed the coverage.  The corner followed Sanu to the 3 receiver side.  Matt knew right where he wanted to go.  To the out to the single receiver side, which was Hardy.

Hardy ran a gorgeous route.  He put Maxwell, who was playing inside leverage, right on his hip, then broke for the sideline at the last second and the ball placement was perfect.  Matt throws this exactly where you want your QB to throw the out.  He lays it out there to the sideline, and low so Hardy can go down to get it.  If Hardy doesn't catch it, no one will.

This is why accuracy is sooo important in this league and being able to place the ball where you want.

giphy.gif

Coleman has to do better at blocking, he could have gotten a flag there too. Refs are trigger happy especially in Seattle.

This is one area where Freeman excels over Coleman in my opinion.